UKC

wood pellet boilers. anyone got experience?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Payne 29 Jan 2014

Anyone got any experience of these? We just purchased a place in France and other than electric, it appears to be our only option for heating the place.

Been getting some silly quotes from local heating engineers, so am thinking about buying a cheap one from ebay and doing it myself. All the locals seem to be pushing only 2 brands, domusa and hargassner and they add amsubstantial markup on the list price and won't let me supply the boiler and get them to fit it.

I don't have €20000 for a boiler installation and that's before the cost of radiators and plumbing which they all tell me would be prohibitively expensive if I want them to do the installation.

So, I figure that if I have to plumb the radiators then I might as well just do the entire installation myself. What I can't find is any reviews on the boilers on EBay, even the some sellers appear to have sold a couple of hundred of them, so there must be a few of them around and I'm surprised that there are no online reviews.

Any links, suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.
Post edited at 20:09
 cander 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil Payne:

You used to able to offset the cost of the installation against your income tax. If thet're still giving that tax break it could be worth looking into.
 woolsack 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil Payne:

What about a solid fuel Rayburn? Do you need something that is timer operated?
Phil Payne 29 Jan 2014
In reply to woolsack:

I want a system that doesn't need as much work as a wood burner that needs to be topped up all the time. Ideally I'd like a system that can do about a weekmof autonomy, but 3-5 days wouldmjust about do. I certainly don't want anything that requires a hopper the size of a car to store pellets.
llechwedd 29 Jan 2014
In reply to Phil Payne:

Not suggesting you're incompetent, but there's some interesting experiences related here, about wood pellet boiler Feck ups by people (public sector Scotland) who apparently didn't understand the systems they were buying well enough.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0043/00432914.pdf
Its on page 25/6. Unfortunately, the rest of the document is something of a rant by the downtrodden owners of a large scottish estate (not Ledgowan).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...