UKC

Daft Youngsters Will Believe Anything

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billy the fish 30 Jan 2014
Talking to a friend about cars today I remembered as a very young chid being naïvely impressed with my Dad’s new car. It had vents to blow air into the car which to me was great as it meant that we could go underwater in it.
The friend then admitted that when he was a very young child he thought everything before he was born was in black and white.

There must be many more stories, what’s yours?
 Skol 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Billy the fish:

The little people in the tele have gone to bed.
0Unknown0 30 Jan 2014
I think the black and white thing must be common, as I remember thinking exactly the same thing, until this moment it us not something I recalled, but funnily on this thread sprung back happy memories. Oh how I wish I could live my childhood again, life seems so much more difficult the older and wiser we become.
Post edited at 21:12
 wilkie14c 30 Jan 2014

I used to tell my kids that when the ice cream van played the tune, it meant they'd sold out. They got me back though as they refer to my childhood as 'the olden days'
 peppermill 30 Jan 2014

'There's an ice cream van at the top of the hill' (There never was)

Puppythedog 30 Jan 2014

My dad could turn the rain off and then back on again for a moment when in the car. When my sister and I were about 22 we asked about it, transpires it was driving under bridges.
 The Potato 30 Jan 2014

some kids when i were young believed that when you die you go to heaven if youre good and hell ifyoure bad. ha!
 Cuthbert 30 Jan 2014

My sister in law believed me when I said all red squirrels are left handed.
 Kemics 30 Jan 2014

My sister used to think that the airport baggage carousels were connected by a giant underground network of tunnels between airports. I think it was at an embarrassing age (16?) she saw them loading bags on the plane before the penny dropped.
 Blue Straggler 30 Jan 2014

Ponies are young horses (this despite seeing television footage of foals)

Clouds are made of snow and eskimoes live there (actually I think this was just a one-off idle daydream but the meme has lived with me)

crayefish 30 Jan 2014

When my nephew was 6ish, I convinced him that the gate to the swimming pool at my parents place was a burping gate (I burped every time it opened). When he returned around 10 you could see he was fighting whether it was true or not
 David Alcock 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Dominicandave:

I feel your pain.
 Sam Beaton 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Billy the fish: not anything I was told, but something I assumed: until I started school and started copying the other kids (up north) I spoke with a London accent. This was because my dad's a Londoner but my mum's from Yorkshire so at 4 years old I thought that men said "barth" and women said "bath"

0Unknown0 31 Jan 2014
I myself did actually believe 'supergran' on a Sunday after the two Ronnie's was real.
 Ciderslider 31 Jan 2014

Tell kids that robins are agents of Santa (you'd better be good for goodness sake
richyfenn 31 Jan 2014

Just as we were about to drive into the Dartford tunnel (under Thames river) my older brother told me we were going to plunge into the water and have to hold our breath. Despite have been through it before I believed him and cried.

A number of years later, not too long before joining secondary school, my older brother told me I would have to buy toilet tickets or I'll get locked in a cupboard until I pee myself, I cried.

I was such a wussy child
Taking the Mick? 31 Jan 2014

My sister thought that when the tide came in on one side of the bay, it went out on the other... and vice versa.
 paul-1970 31 Jan 2014

Thunder is caused by clouds banging into one another.

This still seems more plausible and much easier to understand then the real version.

I also remember my younger brother enquiring of my Mum about where babies came from: "Did I just... appear?"
 Urban5teve 31 Jan 2014

My Grandparents used to tell me that along with the Easter Bunny and Santa, God was real.

Thank goodness I grow out of that one!
 deepsoup 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Taking the Mick?:

She was right - just not thinking quite big enough.
 deepsoup 31 Jan 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:
There it is! I wanted to post that, but I couldn't find it. Lovely.
 crayefish 31 Jan 2014
In reply to UrbanSteve:

> My Grandparents used to tell me that along with the Easter Bunny and Santa, God was real.

> Thank goodness I grow out of that one!

With the former two being far more plausible After all, a giant talking bunny that delivers chocolate... totally possible!

And a man with a white beard climbing into children's houses at night to put a lump in their stocking... that already happens!
 Rubbishy 31 Jan 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Despite being dragged up on the mean streets of Aston and being dumb as fox, there is a gaping hole in my girlfriend's brain, through which I frequently drive a cavalcade of lies and fabrication.

Recent highlights posted as shitmygirlfriendsays.com include;

1) Convinced her that Green Burial Ground at Cannock is actually a museum of cemeteries containing headstone through the ages

2) That the crane depot at Tinsley viaduct is the longest running construction site in Europe

3) A previous recipient of my infection was convinced that the "Danger Perigle" sign at Vivian was a warning about a Welsh species of man eating fish and that the cool inviting water was indeed teaming with said perigles.

nniff 31 Jan 2014

Our kids - that the volume of the radio was controlled by appropriate hand getsures, but you first had to declare your presence to the radio. Nothing to do with the new buttons on the steering wheel.
 tlm 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Troy Tempest:

> 'There's an ice cream van at the top of the hill' (There never was)

There is if you climb at Avon...
Party Boy 31 Jan 2014

Waiting to get on the ferry at Dover there was a really old Mercedes next to us. Not 80's old...this beauty had running boards and big chrome headlights on the front wings. So my daughter says, "look at that funny car". I explained to her that it was a very old car. "Oh", she says, "will our car look like that when it's old"
Jim C 31 Jan 2014
The youngsters are of course not 'daft' just thirsty for facts at that age, and are looking for adults to help them understand the world around them.

I don't remember winding my kids up, but I'm starting over again with my new Granddaughter, maybe this time round I will throw in a few 'stories'

The thing that I remember being confused about was when I was taught about how the earth moved round the sun, I remember querying how that can be, when we have sunrises and sunsets, which inferred that it was the sun was moving.

Sometimes we give kids misleading information without even meaning to , just by the words we use that are not in reality accurate.
Post edited at 15:10
 Al Evans 31 Jan 2014
In reply to Jim C:

My youngest daughters hamster died and as we were not sure how to tell her or if she would grieve too much, we removed it from the cage and went to the pet shop and bought an identical hamster. She came home from school fed it and showed no signs of distress, it was several days, or maybe even weeks before she innocently said to us " I wonder what happened to my original Hammy?"
 Steve Dunne 02 Feb 2014
In reply to John Rushby:

So which one of those isn't true?
 peebles boy 02 Feb 2014

Mum used to let me believe that the old saying of

"Red sky at night, shepherds delight,
Red sky in morning, shepherds warning"

was nothing to do with weather forecasting but was actually a way to decide whether I would get any pudding or not and the words were:

"Red sky at night, Angels Delight,
Red sky in morning, none for Gordon"

Can't see a stunning sunset now without thinking of Butterscotch Angels Delight....

Cheers,
Gordon
 Timmd 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Dominicandave:
> I think the black and white thing must be common, as I remember thinking exactly the same thing, until this moment it us not something I recalled, but funnily on this thread sprung back happy memories. Oh how I wish I could live my childhood again, life seems so much more difficult the older and wiser we become.

I sometimes think that, but then I think about how small things could be really upsetting, there's probably good and bad points to all phases of life I think.
Post edited at 18:12
 Motown 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Billy the fish: A friend's dad lied almost on principal about anything he was asked about and, like others on here, they were seemingly oblivious until embarrassingly advanced years. His 'I know a fact about every city, town and village in England' line was pretty good for spouting nonsense, but my favourite was the tale about oranges. Apparently they were actually green, but were injected with orange dye where they were grown to ensure they matched their name. Brilliant.

Brass Nipples 02 Feb 2014

My dad was a referee . We asked him why he didn't play and he said a chinaman kicked him in the ankles when he was young.

David Alcock 02 Feb 2014
In reply to Motown:

I nearly ended up in a car crash after persuading my cousin's wife the met office used fields of cows, divided into 11 wedge-shaped segments (the prime number chosen to obviate decimal bias) and Spearman's Rank analysis applied on standing or lying down cross-referenced with the compass points, is how the weathermen knew where to stick the rainclouds.

I nearly grabbed the wheel.Then I got her with gullible and english dic. Definitely grabbed the wheel.

Belinda, I miss you. X
 Trangia 02 Feb 2014

"You can trust a priest"
 Timmd 02 Feb 2014
In reply to David Alcock:

> I nearly ended up in a car crash after persuading my cousin's wife the met office used fields of cows, divided into 11 wedge-shaped segments (the prime number chosen to obviate decimal bias) and Spearman's Rank analysis applied on standing or lying down cross-referenced with the compass points, is how the weathermen knew where to stick the rainclouds.

> I nearly grabbed the wheel.Then I got her with gullible and english dic. Definitely grabbed the wheel.

> Belinda, I miss you. X

How did the crash nearly happen? ()

BAdhoc 02 Feb 2014

I informed my friend at Uni that channel four news didn't start Til later as if was actually inside Big Ben and they had to wait for after the chimes. She believed me and started telling others about this interesting fact.

She's gone on to be a police officer,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...