UKC

Speed climbing.. 600ft in 20-30 secs.. Blue Strags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Banned User 77 30 Jan 2014
http://www.lifebuzz.co/the-abyss/

Wow is that real.. ruddy impressive. Blue straggler?
 Blue Straggler 30 Jan 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
Not real, as such, nor has Guillame Néry ever claimed that it was. Sadly, it's been picked up over the last two years and wrongly interpreted (and in fairness, lifebuzz has chosen its headline words carefully, but still somewhat slyly). It was filmed at and around Dean's Blue Hole, yes. The "jump-off" and some descent shots are straight into it. But the sea bed shots are NOT at 663 feet.

Guillame Néry has dived to about 127m and returned, using a monofin. The world record is 128m. Nobody has been deeper and returned safely without the use of a weighted sled to give a faster descent, and either a monofin or bi-fins (in the Variable Weight discipline) or a balloon (in the No Limits discipline) for the ascent.

hth!

Néry's video was done as fun and art, to promote freediving in general. It was simply title "Free Fall" originally and he never intended for people to think that he ACTUALLY sank so calmly to the bottom of Dean's Blue Hole (with his wife filming the whole thing).
Post edited at 22:40
 Tony the Blade 30 Jan 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

haha I just posted this on your fb wall, no need to comment now

Except, is it the diving equivalent of Dan Osman?

You just crushed me... I knew you'd know.. I doubted it but googled and seemed legit.

I knew it couldnt be at 663 feet... after posting this I read max depths.
So you can dive that deep with so little weight?
well whatever depth.. I use more for ruddy 10m..
Post edited at 23:05
In reply to IainRUK:
Once you are beyond neutral buoyancy, the amount of weight is kind of irrelevant. In sea water with a 2mm wetsuit, I wear 2kg. At 9m, I am neutrally buoyant. At 10m I will slowly start sinking. So I propel myself to around 15-17m then just stop, and my sink rate by then is equivalent to the speed I'd reached.

This is for my depths which are around 40m. My personal best is 45m.
With more weight, my neutral point would be shallower, so less effort needed on descent but more effort needed on ascent.

The much deeper divers will want to set their neutrally buoyant point much deeper, say 20-25m. Therefore they will tend to wear less weight and need to put more effort into the initial part of their descent.

I once had 4kg on by accident, didn't notice until AFTER a big dive (I had admittedly wondered why the ascent felt hard!). We did a quick test and found that I hadn't needed to bother with propelling myself at the start, because I was already sinking from the surface.

I am guessing that you dabble in a bit of spearfishing?
Post edited at 23:29
 Cameron94 30 Jan 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Instantly ruled it out as true. Who could swim to 202m and back on one breath?

Still a cool video to watch though.
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Except, is it the diving equivalent of Dan Osman?

It wasn't but it might be now, given that it is over two years old, has enjoyed its first run, gone dormant, and is now doing the rounds again somehow!
 crayefish 30 Jan 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> well whatever depth.. I use more for ruddy 10m..

Yeah it's depressing when you are sitting at a deco stop only to see some free diver 'nip' down to 10-20 meters deeper than you just dived!

No I've dived a fair bit.. snorkelled too.. just to look at marine life..

Worst was a night dive, forgot to attach my bcd... jumped in and just sunk.. luckily only 10m deep.. bloody horrible feeling. That was dive number 5 or something, had literally just done my open water then did my advanced on a diving trip.
 buzby 31 Jan 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

reminds me of a funny incident from a long time ago in sort of the opposite way.
used to regularly dive with a few guys one of whom was called Charlie and loved getting lobsters when diving, he was always first in the water and would just about push you out the way to get in first and have the best chance of good pickings.
one shore dive we did of the isle of bute involved a long snorkel out to a reef before using the scuba for the dive itself.
in normal fashion Charlie raced ahead and was well on his way out while we were still donning our gear.
I said to my dive buddy there he goes again , he answered I wouldn't worry to much and pointed down to charlies weight belt still lying on the shoreline.
still cracks me up remembering the sight of his wee legs going like the clappers trying to get under and not realising why he couldn't get below the surface.
 ByEek 31 Jan 2014

Are you sure you aren't getting confused with Bear Grylls?
 Blue Straggler 31 Jan 2014
In reply to buzby:

What suit was Charlie wearing? Could he not just have deflated his BCD? Bear in mind that I have not dived SCUBA since 2000 and I only did PADI Advanced OW in the tropics.

I once swam to the bottom of a 4m swimming pool wearing a 7mm wetsuit and no weights. It took 17 powerful strokes and they all had to be perfect and in a perfect "rhythm". I bottomed out, then relaxed everything. Nearly breached
 ByEek 31 Jan 2014

It isn't real. It was filmed in a swimming pool in Milton Keynes and the images were then superimposed onto library footage filmed by Jacques Cousteau in the 70's.
 buzby 01 Feb 2014

he was wearing a neoprene dry suit, floated like a cork the diddy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...