UKC

Finger pain following Ganglion cortisone injection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Murray 01 Feb 2014
Hi all
Last year I developed a small ganglion on my index finger that was also affecting my guitar playing (I'm in two bands). I got a referral to the local hospital via my GP, and had a "guided injection" into the nodule, of some steroid (I'm sure it was cortisone), in June last year.

Within 48 hours all my problems had disappeared. There was no lump anymore. I was 100% fine and very happy. I climbed and played guitar with no problems. Magic?

Then, on the last day of a trip to Kalymnos in October, pain appeared in the same place in the same finger. No swelling or ganglion/nodule/lump this time. I couldn't really use the finger at all.

I rested & since then all my attempts - including laying off climbing totally - have been useless. I am as bad now as I was in October. I can only climb if I "raise" the finger away, ie. do NOT use it. Pulling on it is agonizing and leads to days of pain.

Any advice? Apart from telling my GP I'm in an even worse state now?
Thanks,
Phil (Bristol)
 Static 03 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil Murray:

Corticosteroids can weaken connective tissues. Try googling steroid injection side effects. Climbing puts heavy loads on the finger tissues which is why steroid injections in climbers fingers is not always a good idea...

Sounds like you may have a pulley injury/rupture?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...