UKC

Driving to Turkey?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Pryor 04 Feb 2014
Thinking about driving to Turkey in April.
I'm already in Austria for the ski season so that's a third of the way there already.
I'm used to driving in ordinary Europe, but never been to Eastern Europe.
I'd be going through Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria.
I don't like driving long distances at high speed so I'd plan on taking a few days over it.
Are there any issues to be aware of?
What is availability and cost of accommodation?
And any other advice welcome.
Ta
 phja 04 Feb 2014
IAbouably to Alex Pryor:

I've driven in Slovenia and Croatia. Beautiful countries. Slovenia's Postojna Caves and lake Bled and Croatia's Plitvice lakes are well worth stopping by, as is the coastal road down to Dubrovnik.

No issues really, be careful of water (I got horid diarrhoea).

Stayed in campsites, prices very similar to western Europe. Most people speak English.

Was origin early planning to go in to serbia didn't make it that far in the end. I have been told not to stray from designated paths as there are still a lot of land mines about.
OP Alex Pryor 05 Feb 2014
In reply to phja:

Thanks for that. What time of year? Not sure if camp sites will be open in April. Also haven't got a tent with me, but could prob get a cheap one out here for the trip.

Anyone driven through Bulgaria and Turkey?
 alexcollins123 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Alex Pryor:

I spent a while driving around Eastern Europe: Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and the only difference I felt was the ENORMOUS potholes and the fact that people tailgate much worse there regardless of conditions, road type or how fast you are going!

But it was only a hire car so you just smash through the potholes and hoon it around everywhere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...