UKC

3 days in the Lakes - give me some routes!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 05 Feb 2014

Possibly heading south of the border Saturday-Monday, looking for some suggested routes of interest. Looking for routes at Grade I through to III. I'm guessing we're looking at easy gullies, ridges, or snowy rock routes given the lack of decent conditions down that way.
Have van, can travel, but would prefer to be based out of Ambleside area so preferably looking at routes in the Northern/Eastern fells.

Have done striding and swirral and sharp so other suggestions than these please!
Give me your all time favourite Grade I, II and a III folks!!

Cheers,
Gordon
 gammarus 05 Feb 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Kendal Climbing Wall?
OP peebles boy 05 Feb 2014
In reply to gammarus:

Cheers Steve, thanks for the input. Am I to assume you mean that conditions are that crap down there it's not worth heading outdoors?
 Wesley Orvis 05 Feb 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Lots of snow high up, especially in north and eastern coves, things thawing at the moment but a refreeze due on Friday and things could come good.

Don't know if these routes will be in by then but I am confident something will be, here's my shout.

1)Cust's Gully (Great End) and Central Gully (Browncove Crags) at grade I
2)Central Gully (Great End) and Pinnacle Ridge (St Sunday Crag) at grade II
3)V-Corner (Red Tarn Face) and Pendulum Ridge (Scrubby Crag) at grade III
 LakesWinter 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
Good thoughts if the temp is below freezing on the day most of those gullies will be full of good neve atm. Pendulum Ridge needs an upgrade tho IMHO to IV and V corner a downgrade to II/III
Post edited at 17:44
 Ross McGibbon 05 Feb 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

I agree with your gradings. V Corner is a one-move wonder and Pendulum Ridge is a total sandbag. The bottom is nigh on impossible and the section above gets really run out and tiring thanks to turf-only pro.
 gammarus 05 Feb 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Hi - seriously now, Wesley Orvis makes some good suggestions, providing they are in decent nick - this was Custs Gully last winter - http://www.flickr.com/photos/roofofeurope/ - I'm going up to Helvellyn on Friday so I'll report back

[... and if all else fails Kendal is a great wall!]

Steve
 Wesley Orvis 05 Feb 2014
In reply to gammarus:

Just been down the Kendal wall for a good climbing session, will also be out Friday up Helvellyn hopefully see you out.
 Wesley Orvis 05 Feb 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

Totally agree with you grading's too makes me feel better that I had to second Pendulum Ridge.
 petegunn 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

I climb V Corner most winters and have never found it particularly easy, defo not a one move wonder (never done it in banked out conditions).
My thoughts are that maybe some people follow a similar line to the left which looks like the description of V corner, which is easier.
In reply to petegunn:

I've wondered about that. I first soloed it and remember a distinctive V-corner above the entry icefall. Also recall finding it quite exciting. On two subsequent ascents I've been that way again once, again memorable, while another time we ended up in what seemed like a different much shorter corner that just required a couple of steep moves to exit. I couldn't tell for sure if this was the same V-corner but just heavily banked out, or if we were actually off line ever so slightly too far left. But the odd thing was that I did seem to be following the natural way to go, all three times I've been up there. And it's hardly a big or complicated crag.
 neilwiltshire 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Is Great End in condition now? When I was there a couple of weeks ago is was black and wet. No sign of any ice forming.
OP peebles boy 06 Feb 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

Routes routes routes! Enough of the grade chat!

C'mon the Lakeland crew, where's your suggestions?!

joe.91 06 Feb 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

I'd agree with Pendulum ridge, very hard for III but got to be one of the best mixed routes in the lakes.
 petegunn 06 Feb 2014
In reply to peebles boy:
Heres my selection:

Scafell - Deep Ghyll Intergrale III
Gable - Pinnnacle Ridge III
Green Gable - Garden of Eden and Epsilon Chimney III
Great End - Window Gully II/III, Central Gully L III, Southeast Gully III
Buttermere Valley, Chapel Crags - Bleaberry Chimney III/IV
Helvellyn - V-Corner III, Gully 1 II
Brown Cove - Stepped Ridge II, Left Branch II
Tarn and Falcon Crag - Dollywaggon Gully III
St. Sunday - Pinnacle Ridge II
Scrubby Crag - Pendulum Gully II/III
Haweswater, Blea Water - Birketts Gully II/III

Fingers crossed that you may find something to do, I did 60 routes last winter, this winter I have only done 2 and that was the same ridge twice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...