UKC

Bridge of Death, California vs Bridge of Death, Dawlis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Graeme Hammond 05 Feb 2014
 Cusco 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Dawlish Graeme.

Incredible scenes, terrible for the nearby home owners and a further pain in the arse for rail users, great western and network rail in Devon and Cornwall on top of recent disruption and the Exeter track flooding in 2012.
 TMM 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Cusco:

As a Devonian I am genuinely shocked by this.

At a time when the government is engaged in investing in HS2 so people can travel from Brum to London 30mins faster the SW beyond Exeter is not devoid of a rail network linking it to the rest of country.

When the Channel Tunnel was proposed and further investment was pumped into the SE I recall a govt commitment to electrify the track to Plymouth. Result? Nothing.

There is no air link to any London airports from any SW airports following Flybe's withdrawal from Newquay and the closure of Plymouth aiport.

Pi$$ed off that even yesterday this news was been challenged for top billing due to a tube strike which has a temporary effect.

Check out the average transport spend per head.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16235349
London £2731
SE £792
SW £19
NE £5

Remember that in the SW we already have limited access to any public transport so we have to use the car. The VED is the same if you own a car in London where you have heavily subsidised mass transit system or if you live on Dartmoor. You pay more for your fuel and all other services (mains gas? Ha!)

Do the govt want us to all move to the SE?

Rant over
 Greenbanks 06 Feb 2014
In reply to TMM:

Rant maybe. But a compelling one. If Cameron, Milliband et al had 2nd homes down there no doubt things would change
(
 Toby_W 06 Feb 2014
In reply to TMM:

I agree, I'm down in Cornwall and you'd think as this happens every year (though not quite as severely) they'd have built a concrete barrier by now rather than a crumbly old wall along the rail line.

As you say too busy with the eqo project of HS2 and other grand ideas to worry about looking after all the mundane day to day things that we elect them into government or councils to actually do.

A friend who is a property lawyer for a council said they were talking about abandoning some country roads as they couldn't afford to fix the potholes. The chief execs are all on large salaries while lawyers, accountants, and front line workers are leaving due to their working conditions or being laid off in favour of change managers, pr advisers and wellness planners (to hide and explain the shambolic operations).

On the one hand it's funny hearing these stories on the other you realise that's your money being wasted that should be going into schools, roads, hospitals etc.

Cheers

Toby
 stuartholmes 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Thats a very good looking chap in the photo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...