UKC

Change the clocks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 05 Feb 2014
We should change the clocks February 1st. I know we can all set our own time and adjust our own hours but from a national perspective we should already be changed. All this darkness still at 5.30pm is not good for the country.
 Robert Durran 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

They should never have gone back in the firat place. Even better, put them forward for the winter.
 The Potato 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

i vote for hibernating
 MG 05 Feb 2014

Clocks should always stay in their proper place - GMT. We should change out timetables by starting work an hour earlier, or whatever.
KevinD 05 Feb 2014

We should have a giant mirror in space to light the country up.
Removed User 05 Feb 2014

> They should never have gone back in the firat place. Even better, put them forward for the winter.

You have my vote.
 crayefish 05 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

Totally agree!
 Choss 05 Feb 2014

We should tow this Island to a more agreeable and Sensible Latitude.
 JIMBO 05 Feb 2014

When the Scots go independent we can stick with European time and strengthen our economic trade with our comrades who wish to keep a union
 The Potato 05 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

also detach wales and join it to ireland, id get direct access to guinness then
 timjones 05 Feb 2014

> We should change the clocks February 1st. I know we can all set our own time and adjust our own hours but from a national perspective we should already be changed. All this darkness still at 5.30pm is not good for the country.

Adjust your schedules. It's dark enough in the mornings without fecking about with the clocks!
 Timmd 05 Feb 2014
In reply to timjones:

Is it true farmers milk their cows at the same time in the morning relative to the cows, rather than relative to the clocks, because cows get into/like to stick to a routine?

> All this darkness still at 5.30pm is not good for the country.

You really are a bear with very little brain, aren't you?
 Robert Durran 06 Feb 2014
In reply to MG:

> Clocks should always stay in their proper place - GMT. We should change out timetables by starting work an hour earlier, or whatever.

Yes, as long as the aim is to have daylight when it is actually useful - after work.

In reply to Timmd:

The tiny minoirity of farmers can do whatever they like when they like, but it shouldn't condemn the rest of us to dark afternoons.
pasbury 06 Feb 2014

Can antone explain why we go to GMT about 2 months before the winter solstice but dont return to BST until 3 months after it? It seems mean and unneccesary to keep us in the dark for an extra month.
dave Sifford 06 Feb 2014
In reply to pasbury:

At a guess I'd say it's because whilst winter solstice may be the longest night, midnight is not gnerally the midpoint between sunrise and sunset.

Found this chart (Ok it's for Lanzarote, but should show the point).
http://www.lanzarote-traveller.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/lanzarote_d...

Showing the sunset in March still being earlier than sunset in October.

So it might make sense.
 Timmd 06 Feb 2014

youtube.com/watch?v=mE750eEBWOk&

'Never cuss a farmer with your mouth full...'

()
Removed User 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> You really are a bear with very little brain, aren't you?

The usual offensive UKC ungentlemanly conduct.
 Hooo 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I'm pretty sure that the clocks going back for farmers is a myth. They are put forward in summer to save electricity, as people switch their lights on later.
 Jon Stewart 06 Feb 2014

> They should never have gone back in the firat place. Even better, put them forward for the winter.

Yup.
 graeme jackson 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

you destroy one myth and create a whole new one in a single post. well done
 JIMBO 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

I was told it was for Scottish school kids so they didn't have to walk to school in the dark....
 Sir Chasm 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User: Make hours shorter during daytime. Then you'll have more hours of daylight.

timjones 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> Is it true farmers milk their cows at the same time in the morning relative to the cows, rather than relative to the clocks, because cows get into/like to stick to a routine?

Dairy farming isn't really my field but it is fairly common for farm workers to have their start and finish times adjusted twice a year to compensate for the faffing around with the clocks.
 Hooo 06 Feb 2014
In reply to graeme jackson:

Well if it is a myth, I didn't create it. There are several sources for it, including this one that I found with a quick Google.
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html
It's a lot more credible that the farmers myth.
In reply to JIMBO:
> (In reply to Hooo)
>
> I was told it was for Scottish school kids so they didn't have to walk to school in the dark....

So they walk home in ther dark instead..... when they are far more likely to be pratting about and getting themselves killed. At least they live 8 hours longer and get a tiny bit more educated though.

I hope this is in the Better Together campaign, the thiungs we do for the Scots eh!
MarkM 06 Feb 2014

The daylight saving bill that came to parliament in 2012 was to move to GMT+1 in the winter and GMT+2 in the summer - which I was strongly in favour of... It had strong support from MPs but frustratingly got 'talked out' by a small number of MPs before a vote could be held and no further time was scheduled for it and the bill shelved

Mark
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Doesn't Salmond want to put the clocks even further back in the winter to appease the Shetland farmers who can't afford head torches or something? If so, definitely a reason for voting NO.
In reply to MarkM:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
It had strong support from MPs but frustratingly got 'talked out' by a small number of MPs.

Probably the MP's representing about 3 Shetland farmers.....
 Fat Bumbly2 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:
"We should tow this Island to a more agreeable and Sensible Latitude."

Agree, but we will need to talk nicely to Norway and Iceland.

BTW In the coming referendum we are voting for a constitution. Not any particular fat politician. Please do not confuse the referendum with the 2016 Holyrood/General Election (del. where applicable) That is the BBC's job.
Post edited at 18:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...