UKC

New car wheel nearly falls off !!!! : (

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Aston 06 Feb 2014
so long story short my partner has taken delivery of her brand new ford ka
driving it home its seems noisy (as its new car and hasn't driven driven a new car expects it will just be because its new. drive to work and back less than 10 miles. noise has got worse / shuddering . she tells me to take it out to check it, I drive 5 yards and decide it is dangerous to drive when we look over the car , notice that one of the wheel nuts is missing and also other nuts can be turned by hand. we spoke to dealer/sales manager is rude but they have taken car back this am to check and fix.
ive asked for a report to be documented to cover us. just wondering if anybody knows if we should do anything else as for safety reasons and any problems down the line?

sorry its not climbing and its a bit long winded.
Thanks
 Davvers 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

check the threads haven't been damaged
OP Chris Aston 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Davvers:

have requested new wheel nuts.

thanks
 graeme jackson 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

depending how far it was driven, the juddering could have damaged the wheel bearing.
 Davvers 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

No the threads on the studs. The wheel will have been grinding on them a little, unless it has bolts in which case, new bolts will be fine.
 cuppatea 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

Check the threads on the studs as well, maybe ask for a new wheel.
In reply to graeme jackson:

approx 12 to 15 miles at 30/40/50 mph
In reply to cuppatea:

thanks
In reply to Davvers: thanks
 graeme jackson 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
>
> approx 12 to 15 miles at 30/40/50 mph

Should be ok then. i'd still ask the workshop to check it over though.
In reply to graeme jackson:

Thanks

I have asked them to check the alloy wheel , hub , bearings and anything else that will have been put under extra stress and load.

Does anybody know if I need to be in touch with a motoring organisation or anything ?
 rj_townsend 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

I'd suggest that an immediate report to Trading Standards would be the minimum - if they have allowed one vehicle out of the garage in this state, they need to be prevented from allowing any more.

I'd also suggest that it would be worth contacting the manufacturer, if this is a franchised dealer.
 BigBrother 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:
A 'Disgusted from Lancashire' email to Ford HQ may be worth it - photos would help. On the upside they may well get involved with the local dealer and make sure any work is done properly but on the downside it may upset your dealer and you will may be going back to them for servicing in the future.
 Jim Fraser 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
 MikeSP 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Found
On
Road
Dead

Also ask what work they did on the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) and for a copy of the report. This should tell you if they bothered to check it before they sold it to you.
 rallymania 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Fixed
Often
Rarely
Driven

(my focus has been brilliant though lol)

better than a FIAT though
F king
Insult
Against
Technology

the sheep 06 Feb 2014
In reply to rallymania:

As well as;

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious

jkarran 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

> ive asked for a report to be documented to cover us. just wondering if anybody knows if we should do anything else as for safety reasons and any problems down the line?

My main concern (apart from the rude service manager) would be that the wheel rocking while driven with loose nuts may have flared the center bore out slightly. It's not likely the garage will care or check unless asked but if you do ask and care (reasonable given it's brand new) I'd request a new wheel *if* it's damaged, it may not be.

I'd also hope for an apology and explanation.

jk
 andrewmc 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

> we spoke to dealer/sales manager is rude but they have taken car back this am to check and fix.

Given the potential consequences I think being rude is utterly unbelievable!

People have been fired for less...
 SteveoS 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

Ask for a new car.

You'd do it if anything else was faulty! Specially if it's something that could have harmed you and others. You should have a warranty if bought from Ford.
In reply to dapoy:

> This should tell you if they ticked the boxes on the form before they sold it to you.

Fixed that for you...
In reply to Chris Aston:

Surely
King
Of
Dodgy
Automobiles
adam11 06 Feb 2014
JK is on the money here, the centre bore is snug for a reason. Also check threads on the studs/bolts and make sure they haven't been fretting on the alloy.
A first free service would be a nice gesture - if you're prepared to trust them again.

TMM 06 Feb 2014
In reply to dapoy:

> Also ask what work they did on the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) and for a copy of the report. This should tell you if they bothered to check it before they sold it to you.

The PDI should be with paperwork they handed you when you took ownership of the car. Look over it very carefully.

Ford's customer service team will be contacting you within one month of delivery to obtain your customer feedback. A very, very significant part of the Ford dealer's business plan is associated with their performance on customer satisfaction. Dealers used to spend £000's on unhappy customers to try and influence their answers.

The dealer will want you to be happy. It is unacceptable for such a simple and avoidable mistake to have occurred. Contact the dealer principal.
 AlexM 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:
I hired what turned out to be a brand new Ford Transit van once. Got it home and it wouldn't start again - absolutely nothing when you turned the ignition (with the clutch down, or whatever you have to do with Fords these days).

It turned out that the battery terminal had sprung clean off the post, because somebody at Ford hadn't tightened the nut holding it in place properly.
Jim C 06 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

> Thanks

> I have asked them to check the alloy wheel .

Was there not a locking nut on these alloys?
 WJV0912 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Chris Aston:

Exactly the same thing happened on my car. Though it was a £500 Peugeot 306 and the brakes are currently failing regularly.

Don't buy from Car Trade Centre Northwich if you value your life.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...