UKC

Ban countries that discriminate against women from Olmypics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 07 Feb 2014
For a start it is against the Olympic Charter
"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Fair play to the Saudi girl at 2012 Olympics, she finished last by miles but she made a stand, albeit wearing hardly ideal athletics kit.
 Mike Highbury 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans: I'd imagine that a case can be made against all countries in this regard.

Let's extend this to include the jailed.

I must say that this is excellent liberal stuff, Al.

OP Al Evans 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> I'd imagine that a case can be made against all countries in this regard.

No it can't.
 Dave Garnett 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Fair play to the Saudi girl at 2012 Olympics, she finished last by miles but she made a stand, albeit wearing hardly ideal athletics kit.

I'm confused, Al. Do you think the Saudi girl should have been banned from taking part?
 crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I'm confused, Al. Do you think the Saudi girl should have been banned from taking part?

It's too dangerous for the rest of the competitors to let ninjas compete I think.
 The New NickB 07 Feb 2014

> I'm confused, Al. Do you think the Saudi girl should have been banned from taking part?

I'm not sure how you can be confused by Al's comment.
 Dave Garnett 07 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Because Al seemed to approve her taking part but she was a representative of a country notorious for its discrimination against women.
 Ramblin dave 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> No it can't.

Want to guess how many of the world's 100 highest paid athletes are female?
 Sir Chasm 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Want to guess how many of the world's 100 highest paid athletes are female?

That's just payment by results, if female athletes want to be paid as much as men they'll have to run as fast, jump as far etc.
OP Al Evans 07 Feb 2014

> Because Al seemed to approve her taking part but she was a representative of a country notorious for its discrimination against women.

At least athletically it was a step in the right direction from a regime that is traditionally very anti womens rights.
 malky_c 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

erm...
OP Al Evans 07 Feb 2014

In any case you can only really have grounds to do so if they fail to uphold the Olympic Charter.
 Dave Garnett 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

But Saudi Arabia can't possibly be said to allow women to compete "..without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit"?

I agree with you that it was a step in the right direction and highlighted the issue, and it follows that a blanket ban all countries who discriminate against women (or anyone else) is probably counter-productive, as well as imposing a standard impossible to achieve. Can you say that the UK would meet the standard?
 tlm 07 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

> It's too dangerous for the rest of the competitors to let ninjas compete I think.

Oh dear. How embarrassing for you.
 cander 07 Feb 2014

I'm guessing they're tennis players
 crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

You might find this page helpful

http://www.wikihow.com/Have-a-Sense-of-Humor
 Andy Hardy 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

How much discrimination gets a ban Al?

We could end up with no olympics at all
 The New NickB 07 Feb 2014

Ok, yep I get your point.
 deepsoup 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
> Fair play to the Saudi girl at 2012 Olympics, she finished last by miles but she made a stand, albeit wearing hardly ideal athletics kit.

There were two, and brave as the runner was I think it took significantly more courage for the young woman in the judo to participate.
 tlm 07 Feb 2014
In reply to crayefish:

Oh thank-you, how kind and useful.

You seem not to have read point 2 fully?
OP Al Evans 07 Feb 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

> How much discrimination gets a ban Al?

> We could end up with no olympics at all

Jesus everybody, read the post, I'm only talking about who follows or doesn't follow the Olympic Charter, not about whether women can't drive or study engineering or climb to the top of mountains.
 crayefish 07 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

I think jailing ninjas is over the top. They'd only escape anyway.
 Ramblin dave 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

So does "discrimination of any kind" include massive differences in the amount of money earned by male and female athletes (the answer to my previous question was "about three", fwiw), or is this another case where we're only really interested in feminism when it becomes a stick to beat Islamic countries with, rather than something that asks us difficult questions about our own society?
OP Al Evans 07 Feb 2014

B*****ks Dave, I have been a campaigner for womens rights all my life, both in the UK and abroad. I just think that the Olympic Charter is just one more way of putting to rights a big injustice.
 tony 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> B*****ks Dave, I have been a campaigner for womens rights all my life, both in the UK and abroad.

So why do you want to prevent them from competing?
 Yanis Nayu 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Very bad idea. I can't see how it could possibly work in practice - it would just make things worse.
OP Al Evans 07 Feb 2014
In reply to tony:

I'm getting pi**ed off with the misinterpretation here, I don't want any country that allows its women athletes to compete banned, just those that don't and don't support the idea of women being capable of athletic endevour.
 tony 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

So which countries would that be?
 andy 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> I don't want any country that allows its women athletes to compete banned, just those that don't and don't support the idea of women being capable of athletic endevour.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/07/olympic-female-athletes.h...

Looks like you're a couple of years too late, Al - they all allow women to compete.
OP Al Evans 07 Feb 2014
In reply to andy:

That is only marginally reassuring.
 jkarran 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
> I'm getting pi**ed off with the misinterpretation here, I don't want any country that allows its women athletes to compete banned, just those that don't and don't support the idea of women being capable of athletic endevour.

Did any nation (with the possible exception of small city/island nations with tiny teams) at the 2012 Olympics actually bring a single sex squad?

Edit: Apparently not.

jk
Post edited at 14:42
 andy 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> That is only marginally reassuring.

Let's just get this straight - you want the Olympics to ban any country that doesn't allow women to compete. They all do have women in their squads. But that's only "marginally reassuring"? Why?
 Enty 07 Feb 2014
In reply to andy:

> Looks like you're a couple of years too late, Al - they all allow women to compete.

Come on Andy - we all know what Al's point was. I think he's getting an unfair bashing here. So what? Saudi allow women to compete. But there's no Saudi women there because at home they're not allowed to play f*cking sport in the first place:

"Saudi pundits complained that the nation was being punished just because there were no Saudi sportswomen up to Olympic standards, something beyond the country's control. In an ongoing campaign, Human Rights Watch countered that so few women were eligible because Saudi Arabia still effectively bans women from playing sports; Malhas trained outside of Saudi Arabia for much of her life."

E

Enty 07 Feb 2014
In reply to andy:

> Let's just get this straight - you want the Olympics to ban any country that doesn't allow women to compete. They all do have women in their squads. But that's only "marginally reassuring"? Why?

Probably because of what Human Rights watch said in theat quote above.

E
 Bruce Hooker 07 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> I'm not sure how you can be confused by Al's comment.

Some people are very easily confused
 Dave Garnett 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

And some people have made a career of missing the point
 Enty 07 Feb 2014

> And some people have made a career of missing the point

And your post at 9:01 is one of the clever dick posts that nudge me on a little bit to leaving these forums.....

E
Ste Brom 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I'm a male synchronised swimmer, what are my rights? I've been the CAB and all that..
 Blue Straggler 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

I think a male synchronised swimmer in the USA attempted to sue the relevant governing body of that sport for some sort of sexism thing. As you can see, my recall is beyond vague! But I seem to remember that he was doing it to make a point about sex discrimination sometimes being "the other way round" (see also: the marketing of roller derby )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...