UKC

UKC Winter conditions report Lake District 07th Feb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paddy cave 07 Feb 2014
After one of the slowest starts to the 'winter' season in the Lakes that I can remember we are finally starting to get some good winter sport on offer, albeit unsettled weather wise and constantly changing!

There has been some reasonable snow falls this year already, very often it has delivered little more than some scenic winter walking and some skiing. Over the last couple of weeks there as been more consistently cool temperatures up high and there are large areas of snow that have had a chance to consolidate to some degree and have then had fresh snow on top. So with a base down on many high areas and still a lot of snow accumulation in many of the gullies and coves of the central fells in particular we have what looks like more long term snow cover.

The classic ridges of the Lakes, particularly on Helvellyn are well snowed currently and require winter confidence and kit, the forecast freeze could also make for some fairly icy conditions.

Yesterday a thaw with the freeze-line at about 1100m for a while saw steep rock stripped and the snow wetted out, also the turf seemed soft where exposed (the days before had seen the crags starting to come white even on steeper faces around Red Tarn Cove but the turf was questionable). The forecast is however looking colder into Monday, and Tuesday looks promising. The wet snow will very quickly become hard neve with a freeze and many easy gullies could start to look good quickly. The buttresses have wet snow on as well which if frozen will give useful neve on the ledges and with a bit of wind and snow forecast into Tuesday added in could bring some steeper mixed routes into condition. Bar a few routes that have been snatched this could be the best spell of winter condition we've had here this season.

With the warmer temperatures yesterday we were able to enjoy some great snow for skiing on, all but the highest or previously wind scoured snow slopes had a nice soft layer of snow on for skiing. For some photos of this see our Blog at - http://www.mountaincircles.com/blog/ or our FB page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountain-Circles/189325167779118?fref=ts

See also a short conditions report video by www.movieit.co.uk made yesterday (ignore the date mentioned in video, I got it wrong!) to give you an idea of snow cover and conditions on Helvellyn - youtube.com/watch?v=GwqAyruYDug&

Any good info for these reports is welcome, email me at info@mountaincircles.com

Ski info for Raise tows plus webcam is at - http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

Thanks, Paddy.
 Andrew Holden 07 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Excellent report paddy thanks very much
 Rick Graham 07 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Hi Paddy

Are you just trying to say there is a bit of snow about but no climbing to do yet ?
paddy cave 07 Feb 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

Hi Rick,

Aiming to be a bit more comprehensive than that, taking in to account people who want to winter walk or ski as well as climb. Also, knowing the other options gives a back up plan for those making a trip with climbing as plan A for when things aren't there and they have travelled.

In terms of climbing specifically, I'd say if the forecast is correct then certain routes (some easier gullies particularly) are almost definitely going to come in over the next few days with the wet snow freezing... potential fresh snow accumulating may be the only thing to watch however. It sounds like the drop of the freeze line last night has already brought some routes in to reasonable condition for today at least, see - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=572953 (thanks for sharing the info Wesley!)

Its all just predictions though, so we'll see...

Hope that helps,

Paddy
 nawface 12 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

How are the lakes at the moment?

Will be there with a relative novice this weekend. We fancy going for some winter walking but I have no idea how much snow there is, where it is and what state it's in.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Cheers
 Mark Eddy 12 Feb 2014
In reply to nawface:

The Helvellyn range has loads of snow at present. It's currently raining hard at valley level, so i'd expect this will be snow a bit higher up. Also the wind is howling so plenty snow moving around, i think it's a southwesterly today.

The walking yesterday was really nice, snow was mostly firm. Gullies all look a bit chocked. Here's a few photos from Brown Cove Crags yesterday, will give you a better idea: http://mark-mountainjourneys.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a-wild-and-windy-day-on...

If the wind lets us open the house door we might venture out again tomorrow!!!
 blackcat 12 Feb 2014
In reply to nawface: www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk it will give you ground info and forecast for next few days.

Wesley Orvis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

mental in Kendal at the moment, 4 degrees and raining heavily wind is absolutely mental, just been down to the climbing wall and was worried the roof was going to blow off it, I imagine it will be pretty life threatening high up tonight.
paddy cave 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Plenty of snow today, strong Westerly and cold, snow-line was valley level in the East Lakes this morning but has risen to about 400-500m during day. Will be out next few days so will report conditions. Warmer Friday night into Saturday with some rain, then cold again into Sunday. A freeze thaw cycle will do no harm to settle the fresh snow! Generally though (to answer nawface) I'd expect full winter conditions on the Fells over the coming days with plenty of fresh snow on multiple aspects after such strong winds, sure there will be climbing on offer as well as skiing and winter walking...

see Langdale yesterday here - https://twitter.com/youinfilm
 Wesley Orvis 13 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Kentmere plastered this morning, snow down to valley level in abundance.
 martinph78 13 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Good, comprehensive report. Thanks.

xplorer 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

A good comprehensive report from the 7 February!
 martinph78 13 Feb 2014
In reply to xplorer:

> A good comprehensive report from the 7 February!

Thanks for agreeing with me
 nawface 13 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Nice one everybody.
 Si Withington 13 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Wild high up today. Goggles weather (again). Wandered up onto Red Screes, taking in Kilnshaw Chimney, which is pretty banked out. The approach is okay, with helpful neve covering the majority of the scree.
 Wesley Orvis 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

Wicked cheers Si, how was North Cove looking?
 LakesWinter 13 Feb 2014

Thanks again for the update Wes
In reply to paddy cave:

Anyone been up near the Old Man of Coniston/Weatherlam area recently - whats the snow/ice like? Many thanks for any info.
In reply to Cuillin Calling:

Now that is a very good question!
 Wesley Orvis 13 Feb 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:
No problem thanks.

Cuillin calling
going to have a look at the great carrs buttress's on Saturday can let you know then but I imagine it will be to late by then as you would have been out.
Post edited at 21:11
 John Kelly 13 Feb 2014

pavey ark from valley at lunchtime today

http://t.co/yRjF0COyjR

3 degrees in langdale valley now, sleet qt this level for last 5 hrs

big front in am

should be masses of snow high up on Sat

Wesley Orvis 13 Feb 2014

> should be masses of snow high up on Sat

Can't wait haven't been out for a week.

John Kelly 13 Feb 2014

not like you - you've not been put off have you
 Si Withington 13 Feb 2014

Didn't make it to North Cove. Topped out and then headed straight back down as couldn't see!
paddy cave 13 Feb 2014
 Wesley Orvis 14 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

> not like you - you've not been put off have you

No only been made more determine, Braveheart style.

Had a cold so been trying to rid myself of that.
 Wesley Orvis 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

ok cheers Si.
In reply to paddy cave:

Anybody been on/seen the Scafells recently? Just wondering what is likely to be in after this thaw freeze cycle...
 Mr. Lee 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

Looks like there might be a fair amount of rain during the immediate thaw period tonight. Probably help with consolidating fresh snow but probably not great for the turf on mixed routes.

http://www.yr.no/place/united_kingdom/England/Scafell_Pike/hour_by_hour.htm...

At least that's interpretation of things...
 LakesWinter 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Temperature of 2 degrees at 900m gives probable wet snow at the highest levels and cold rain below that, maybe something useful will appear from this in the longer run?
 xplorer 14 Feb 2014
In reply to LakesWinter:

paddy has been out climbing today, so would be interesting to hear what his report is.

also the weather line report also states temps of -2.

Have you actually been out?
 xplorer 14 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

just in case any new comers to the site want a good, reliable report from the helvellyn area.

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/
paddy cave 14 Feb 2014
In reply to xplorer:

Hey, really good today, best the Lakes has been this season I'd say, crags white, turf good on steep routes, useful snow ice plastered about, hard to get gear though! Soft snow on approached and building as we speak but some good hard snow on steeper areas and gullies and icy scoured ground up high.

Have put a more detailed report on here and some photos - http://www.mountaincircles.com/lakes-conditions-helvellyn/
was out today over St Sunday Crag and Fairfield, plenty of snow lying, very unconsolidated on most aspects, but with deeper drifts on North, North East as expected. But the rock around dolly wagon, nethermost pike was plastered, on closer inspection still soft but with hard freeze could get better. Few photos here. https://www.facebook.com/graham.hadaway.5/posts/10153796830810277
 John Kelly 14 Feb 2014

> No only been made more determine, Braveheart style.

> Had a cold so been trying to rid myself of that.

sorry to hear you have been under the weather

cold remedy
a mate of mine, when laid low by man flu during the off season, used to do press ups to failure in Mickleden dam as a sure fire remedy-relieves pressure on NHS
 Wesley Orvis 14 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

> sorry to hear you have been under the weather

Thank you very much.

> cold remedy

> a mate of mine, when laid low by man flu during the off season, used to do press ups to failure in Mickleden dam as a sure fire remedy-relieves pressure on NHS

hahaha hardcore, but I am sure it works as well as a lot of the remedies they sell over the counter, my mates are stopping at the site this weekend so will be picking them up and dropping them off, will say hello if I see you wandering about.

Wesley Orvis 14 Feb 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

> a mate of mine, when laid low by man flu during the off season, used to do press ups to failure in Mickleden dam as a sure fire remedy-relieves pressure on NHS

I used to do upside down push ups for my piles, not a bad way of getting the blood back into the body.

John Kelly 15 Feb 2014

way too much detail

I'm off to scotland thia am to revive a ski career after 30 yr break - if you passing St Vincents hospital Aviemore in the next week i should be well enough for visitors

pop in for a brew anytime Wesley
(extend that to all the winter condition posters and mods)

> I used to do upside down push ups for my piles, not a bad way of getting the blood back into the body.

Yeah, that's a serious problem with the winter season I find. Sitting around on cold snow and ice plays havoc with the piles I find. As for bum sliding!

NMM
 Jim Haydock 15 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:
Nice one Paddy, good effort.
Off to the CIC hut and, looking at the conditions up there and all the snow, wishing I was staying in the lakes now (lol).
Bit different conditions to last year in the CIC when you came up with Ed Luke & co filming
JH.
Post edited at 10:08
 Root1 15 Feb 2014
In reply to jim Haydock

Jim enjoy your trip to the cic. The drive to the dam is not possible due to the volume of snow and the hut is almost buried. Should make for an interesting walk in. Hope to get out late season once the knee settles.
Take care out there.
Jeff
 Wesley Orvis 15 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:
Had a top day out today in the snow it started a little rough but turned into a fantastic day with good views of the snow covered peaks in the central, southern and western fells.

Although the snowline and quantity of snow has reduced massively in the last 24 hours their is still lots about. Went up wet side edge onto Great Carrs and then over Swirl How and down to prison Band then traversed in under the crags of Great Carrs to check out some scrambles I want to do in winter that I have done in summer, the crags and gullies high up are still pretty plastered but we do really need refreeze quick.

The snow was wet and slushy below 700m and retreating fast, above 700 it was a mixture of deep soft snow and occasional neve and ice, walking on hard snow one minute then falling through waist deep in places, the crags high up still had ice on them but the turf was not frozen at all even where exposed to the wind, rime was forming above 750m and on the summit rocks.

All in all things not looking too good but with a good refreeze things could come turn ok for once this season, had a great day out taking my rack for a walk for the 50th time this season, just shows there doesn't need to be all the arguing about conditions the mountains form some spectacular conditions during a thaw and well worth the walk out to see the massive cornices, snow bridges and avalanche debris, a good day out without any climbing conditions.
Post edited at 18:12
 blackcat 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:Cheers,after checking weatherline forecast it dont look like we will get a refreeze before the snow goes,then we will be hoping for more snow again.

Wesley Orvis 15 Feb 2014
In reply to blackcat:

true, just what I was thinking, maybe some of the gullies could hang onto it as they are still pretty loaded but as I always say I am an optimist, no sign of a refreeze in sight, oh well looking forward to rock climbing now, for the first time ever in February.
 Wesley Orvis 15 Feb 2014
In reply to blackcat:

> Cheers,after checking weatherline forecast it dont look like we will get a refreeze before the snow goes,then we will be hoping for more snow again.

maybe tomorrow though you never know it says on the met office freezing level dropping to around 400m through the night, will have a scout about and hopefully find some firm snow to climb up high tomorrow before it all disappears, it was starting to freeze a little today don't know if it will be enough but will have a look anyways.
 Wesley Orvis 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

saw them today still had a good covering, most snow on Scafell's, Bowfell and Helvellyn range, south west area around the Old Man the snow line had retreated the most.
 blackcat 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis: End of the day,the mental weather were having whos to say we wont get colder wintry weather in march,its not over til its over.

paddy cave 15 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Bit warmer today up at Helvellyn but could be good again if cold as forecast tonight, some fresh snow and plenty of wind! Few shots on here - http://www.mountaincircles.com/winter-skills-red-tarn-cove/
mysterion 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Jonathan Yates:

Yep, and now we have the nonsense of two commercial lakes winter conditions threads on the go at the same time, and counting. Glad I'm more of a Snowdonian...
 Wesley Orvis 16 Feb 2014
In reply to Jonathan Yates:

thanks Jonathon really enjoyed reading your new blog on the front point.com website.
 Russell Lovett 16 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

Went up to Dollywagon North today plenty of snow but it was all soft and sugary. Ended up doing Tongue gully, the snow was soft at the begining but guite frozen towards the top third. Also had a a look at Tarn Crag there was a team on Tarn Crag Gully 2 who managed to top out we tried Tarn Crag Gully 3 but got turned back at the cornice due to soft powdery snow. In short lots of snow cover on the crags but it is soft and realy needs a good freeze but looking at the forecasts for next week is not likely.
 daniel_c_baron 16 Feb 2014
In reply to mysterion:

It's not that difficult to look at the most current conditions report is it, seems like some people just want to cause a fuss about nothing. If you have conditions to report just put them on the latest of Paddy's posts.

If UKC ask you to do a weekly conditions report for your area then you get a commercial profile in return. It doesn't seem like anyone has a problem with the other official reports.

I wonder why? Is it sour grapes
 Wesley Orvis 16 Feb 2014
In reply to paddy cave:

What a difference a day makes!

Had one of the best days out in the Lakes I have ever had today, went up Rampsgill Head and found some really good snow conditions, was amazed how much firmer the snow pack was today from yesterday, the approach slopes and buttress's are still loaded.

Did Original Route (II) and then come down Easy Buttress (I/II) and then roped up for Umbrella Gully (II/III) the top outs are bullet hard neve with a shiney icey topping, even the approach slopes are firm and consolidated.

Highlight of the day was coming across a monster icey overhanging undercut cornice that I had to cut out for 20 minutes, one of scariest things I have done 20m above a dodgy hex.

Al in all good frozen snow, top winter routes, blue skies and views to die for, if I missed today after traipsing about for 3 months with my rack I would have been absolutely gutted, sorry to all those who didn't manage to get out today, what a day.

mysterion 16 Feb 2014
In reply to daniel_c_baron:

> I wonder why? Is it sour grapes

Yes Daniel, it is all a big conspiracy. I shall be reporting on winter conditions on the grassy knoll shortly.
In reply to mysterion:

Make sure you do
In reply to mysterion:

And make sure it's in the correct thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...