UKC

Duel with An Teallach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bowls 08 Feb 2014
This is something of a long-shot, but my girlfriends mum now cares for the elder brother who's brother was killed in this.. To my knowledge he has never seen the film and the discussion came about over chance this Christmas.

If someone could point me in the correct direction - Fort William mountain festival perhaps? then I would be most grateful

Willing to pay whatever it takes..

Thanks

James
MrsSoupedePoisson 08 Feb 2014
In reply to bowls:

Not quite the same but do you have The Black Cloud?

Get in touch with Hamish McInnes through his website.
 Fredt 08 Feb 2014
In reply to bowls:

I think I have the videotape of this, from the telly.

I will try and confirm, which will be tricky without a video player.

If I have it, it's yours.

Fred
 peebles boy 08 Feb 2014
In reply to bowls:

Looks like it was BBC produced? If so, I'm sure there's some kind of "rule" that as long as you're a BBC license payer you can contact them and request a copy of it (but that could well be something someone told me once that was a load of rubbish!!!)
 luckyjim 08 Feb 2014
In reply to bowls:

i have a copy on VHS video tape if thats any use to you !
 Siward 08 Feb 2014
In reply to luckyjim:

I have a VHS video player which (I think) still works...
Removed User 08 Feb 2014
In reply to bowls:

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear of your sad association with this. Secondly, the film itself portrays the story in a very sensitive light, i.e. not in the modern sensationalist fashion, which is a good thing.

As an aside, I was in Dundonnel in Feb 1988 and one of the party of 5 I was with fell off the ridge of An Teallach. Luckily for me I was stuck in the glen, as the day before I had suffered major blisters from boots which had at other times been ok. The chap who died was a leader of E3/4 summer rock climbs, but as I had only just met him (a friend of a friend) I hadn't found out what he had done in winter. However, he was a very confident chap, and just over 30 years old with a wife and child.

I was in the pub when my mate came rushing in to tell me to call out the rescue team. I am told conditions were full-on winter, with a white-out on the ridge. Apparently he simply tripped on his crampons on a narrow section and fell down the steep face to the lochan.

A horrible night ensued. We were stopping at Gerry's Hostel at Achnashellach, but were put up for the night for free by Sail Mor at Dundonnel. All we could hear was the helicopter throbbing in and out of the corrie. The rescue team "woke" us (we hadn't slept) in the early hours with the bad news, and it was a nightmare come true. I still feel the same chill down my spine when I think of it now.

The people at Sail Mor were so kind, as was Gerry. We arrived back at his hostel the next morning to clear ours and the deceased gear, and Gerry was perfect. He wouldn't take a penny from us for our few nights stay, and was genuinely sympathetic.

I phoned my mum and dad from the Dundonnel Hotel as the rescue team began their search, and by coincidence they were just about to start watching "Duel with An Teallach" on the telly at home.

My lasting memory of that sad time is of the generosity and care given freely by the Dundonnel Hotel, the Dundonnel Mountain Rescue Team, the people of Sail Mor, and especially Gerry of Gerry's Hostel. Little is ever said of people like that, but it needs saying. They make the World a better place.

All the best,
Ian.
 kemmar 09 Feb 2014
In reply to bowls:

Not seen the film you mention, though i am familiar with the written account of what happened. Someone else posted (seems to have been removed) mentioning a film reconstruction featuring the actor George Sweeney. I saw this too, maybe in the 70s. Internet searches now and in the past, including the actors filmography, have come up with nothing. It may have been a part of those series of plays you used to get on tv at that time. What i'm suggesting is that there may be 2 filmed reconstructions, with one having become very obscure. Apologies if my memory is being deceptive.
 CasWebb 09 Feb 2014
In reply to bowls:

I've recently copied my old VHS copy to hard disk if that is of any use (it's a large file, 2GB, but can probably find a way to get a copy to you).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...