UKC

climbing with babies near Leeds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MeMeMe 08 Feb 2014

We've got a 3 month old baby but we'd still like to go climbing (indoor or outdoor) and would like to meet up with other people in a similar situation.

So far we've had a few trips to the climbing depot which have been fairly successful but we'd also like to do routes and think it would be easier if there were a few of us to share the looking after the babies.

We're based in Keighley and so anywhere less than an hour away would suite us.

Please get in touch if you are up for it or if you've got any good advice for us to be able to keep on climbing!
OP MeMeMe 08 Feb 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

Oh and we're thinking of going to the Leeds Wall tomorrow if anyone would like to join us?
OP MeMeMe 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

Bump for the Monday morning crowd...

Does anyone in fact really go climbing together as a family with a young baby?
We don't want to do the thing where one of us climbs one night and the other another, we have little enough leisure time together as it is!
 Heike 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

We have been doing it for four years now and lots of people do...But sorry not based in Leeds...

Why not take one pal with you and then you can climb as a three with one of the parents looking after baby? That's what we have done til he was old enough.
bilbo 1 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

Hi there,

It is tough but you just have to be motivated - we have a 5 month old and climb everyweekend either down the wall or out and about -we even took him to Font when he was 2 months old.

It is easier if there is more than just the two of you but you just have to go and give it a go - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

My top tip is adjust your expectations and habits - outside do more bouldering and sport - trad is more awkward and faffy. At the wall, bouldering is easier as one can hold the baby whilst the other tries a problem.

In terms of holidays - drive if you can, its just easier and ensuresd you can take everything you need - learn to love Font as its only 4hrs into France, although we went with friends to the south of france climbing and their 2 year old had a great trip down.

Unfortunatly we live in Birmingham but maybe ask down the wall to see if anybody is willing to join you - I bet there are plenty of people in a similar situation.

Good luck and dont give up

OP MeMeMe 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Heike:

> Why not take one pal with you and then you can climb as a three with one of the parents looking after baby? That's what we have done til he was old enough.

I think we are going to try that but we thought that other people with babies might be a bit more understanding of the extra complications they bring and the extra time that everything seems to take. Also we thought it would be nice to meet up with people in a similar situation.

I think we're going to go climbing with a friend on Thursday so we'll see how it works out!
OP MeMeMe 10 Feb 2014
In reply to bilbo 1:

> My top tip is adjust your expectations and habits - outside do more bouldering and sport - trad is more awkward and faffy. At the wall, bouldering is easier as one can hold the baby whilst the other tries a problem.

That's what we've been doing so far and it's been working out well but it would be nice to do routes too!

> In terms of holidays - drive if you can, its just easier and ensuresd you can take everything you need - learn to love Font as its only 4hrs into France, although we went with friends to the south of france climbing and their 2 year old had a great trip down.

Somebody else suggested Font to us, sounds like it's worth trying!

> Unfortunatly we live in Birmingham but maybe ask down the wall to see if anybody is willing to join you - I bet there are plenty of people in a similar situation.

> Good luck and dont give up

Good to hear from people who keeping on climbing
 tlm 10 Feb 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

I wouldn't discount people who don't have kids. They sometimes have more time, energy and enthusiasm spare, and a lot of people who don't have kids still like other people's kids! I don't live near Leeds, but I'm always happy to babysit for other people.

I found this:

http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdoor-adventure/rules-of-the-rope-climb...

http://www.adventureparents.com/blog/mom-chronicles/362-cragbaby-a-moms-5-r...
 ByEek 10 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

Cool blogs. I note these are guides to climbing with babies. I do wonder if it would be possible to climb with toddlers and there is no way we could climb as a pair and leave my three year old to his own devices. Not to say I don't take him climbing, but it is a full time job keeping him safe. Alas, I have slowly had to accept that climbing for myself is going to have to stick well and truly on the back burner for the next few years.
 Heike 10 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:
But then they turn 4 and suddenly they are so much more grown up. If you choose your crag wisely, it will be possible soon again! Depending on the child of course, but there are loads of crags where it's pretty safe. Ok, trad not so much, but with sport there is always a person at the bottom!
 tlm 10 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I think the idea of taking an extra adult along is a good one - either someone who is happy to take turns looking after the kids and climbing, or someone who would enjoy a picnic with your child! There might be a few surprising people that you could recruit, you never know?

I found this site, but it seems to be more about the kids climbing than the adults:
http://www.kidsclimbing.co.uk/kidfriendly/rockclimbing.php

Also - how about finding if there is anyone who would enjoy looking after your toddler for a day, and then you might return the favour a different day?
 Heike 10 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

One of the things i read when I was having a kid was that you shouldnt expect anyone to look after your child. Be happy if they accept it to be there and if they offer themselves to look after him/her, brilliant. i think that's a good idea. You are not forcing yourself onto anyone, but if offered, grab itwith both hands! We had friends offering unexpected half days here and there and that's been brilliant.

i also had some very unpleasant experiences. basically being forced out of a club because we now have a child. very sad, but i guess that's life! Other opportunities come up instead. I have not climbed much less since i had a kid and he has been there all the way...
 ByEek 11 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

> Also - how about finding if there is anyone who would enjoy looking after your toddler for a day, and then you might return the favour a different day?

In theory, it all sounds easy, but alas, it isn't just our toddler who has calls on my time. There is my wife who is stuck with kids all week, then our baby, then the four year old, family days out / seeing friends / friends of kids etc. Then there is three lots of parents (my parents divorced) and more besides. I reckon I might be lucky to get one day out this year and even that will be saddled with guilt.
 Jonny2vests 11 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> Cool blogs. I note these are guides to climbing with babies. I do wonder if it would be possible to climb with toddlers and there is no way we could climb as a pair and leave my three year old to his own devices. Not to say I don't take him climbing, but it is a full time job keeping him safe. Alas, I have slowly had to accept that climbing for myself is going to have to stick well and truly on the back burner for the next few years.

We go cragging with toddlers all the time. You just need to find some like minded families and share the load, obviously as a pair it will never work.

Carolyn 11 Feb 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

Font is well worth in investigating with kids - we've been every summer, they love playing in the sand and climbing small rocks, and by 4 or 5 they'll do some of the kiddy white circuits. Take some spades, and a hammock, and a pop up tent, and they'll play at the rocks for the morning. OK, you'll probably need to take it in turns to climb, but it's better than nothing. And then retire to the campsite swimming pool by mid afternoon.

We've always taken a couple of spare childless blokes on ski trips with us, and that's worked really well. They weren't desperately keen to look after toddlers, but now the kids can happily be left in front of a DVD or iPad after a long morning's skiing, it often means an extra hour's skiing at lunchtime or the end of the day. They haven't generally been so willing to climb, although one bravely seconded Ordinary Route on Idwal Slabs alongside a 4 year old....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...