UKC

Conditions in Brecon Beacons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NB1 09 Feb 2014
Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like in the Brecon Beacons at the moment.
Going there with my other half next weekend and intend to do some walking but unsure which routes to plan.
Any advice greatly received.
 ERU 09 Feb 2014
This is the fountain of all knowledge to do with Winter Climbing in South Wales:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WinterClimbsinSouthWales/
 Welsh Kate 09 Feb 2014
In reply to NickyBurr:

There is some snow building up on parts of the north face of PyF (saw a photo showing a bit of cornicing), but the freezing level is pretty high and I suspect you'll be walking rather than doing any winter routes, unless there's a sudden very cold turn in the weather.
 afshapes 10 Feb 2014
In reply to NickyBurr:

I was up for a run on Saturday, despite snow the ground is very soft.
 redscotti 10 Feb 2014
In reply to afshapes:
Very wet and boggy everywhere. The worst parts are getting on to the hills - farm fields are heavily saturated. Winds have been very high, though there's been the odd calm day with some sun. Check the forecast here www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/mountain-forecasts/brecon-beacons#?tab=mountainWeather
But really it's the conditions underfoot that's the biggest PITA.
Post edited at 09:55
NB1 10 Feb 2014
In reply to redscotti:

Thanks everyone. It's the boggyness that concerns me, especially with more rain forecast.
 Welsh Kate 10 Feb 2014
In reply to NB1:

Yeah, I went knee deep in bogginess on the Neuadd Ridge last weekend, but that was because we were having to stay off the path for fear of being blown off! In most places, though, it wasn't *that* bad.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...