UKC

Lost 5K Pace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JMGLondon 10 Feb 2014
I've lost a bit of 5k race pace and I don't really know why? I averaged 19.30 for approx 12 weeks but ran a 19.50 two weeks ago and a 20.02 on Sat.

I've not changed my weekly running routine (8 miles on a Mon eve @ 7.45's & to/from work Tues & Thurs - 5 miles each way - pace from 7.45-8). During both slower races I felt like I was at max effort and, if anything, it was hurting more than my faster times.

Any ideas on how I can recover the pace? I was hoping to go sub 19 before the summer so I'm keen to work out what the problem could be.

Thanks.
 Nick Russell 10 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:
You may not have altered your weekly running routine, but if other things in your life have changed it will affect your recovery and performance. Poor sleep, poor diet, increasing other exercise (gym, cycling, etc.) are all likely candidates. If not, take a lighter week then get back into it.
Post edited at 11:27
 jkarran 10 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Any ideas on how I can recover the pace? I was hoping to go sub 19 before the summer so I'm keen to work out what the problem could be.

Headwind?
jk

JMGLondon 10 Feb 2014
In reply to jkarran:

No Saturday was flat calm, perfect conditions.
JMGLondon 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

Cheers - I've been putting the hours in at work but sleep has been fine. Diet remains pretty constant - a mix of good at home and crap at the office.
 tony 10 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

I'm impressed you managed such fast 5k times when your training runs are so (relatively) slow. Try putting in a speed session once a week to regain your speed - 400m or 800m reps.
 steveriley 10 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:
'I've not changed my weekly running routine'
I'd try changing your weekly running routine. You've made the easy gains off what you're doing now, so try something different, bit of speedwork maybe? 20-30s difference isn't really enough to get in a panic over
JMGLondon 10 Feb 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

Cheers, sounds like a speed session is the way to go. I'll look for something I can do in a lunch hour / pre work as evening time is pretty tight.
 lost1977 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

> You may not have altered your weekly running routine, but if other things in your life have changed it will affect your recovery and performance. Poor sleep, poor diet, increasing other exercise (gym, cycling, etc.) are all likely candidates. If not, take a lighter week then get back into it.

that was my first thoughts as well a simple deload week after 12 weeks could well sort it
 Alex1 25 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

If you're trying to run a faster 5k you're training totally wrong. As said above take a lighter week and use it to reevaluate your training. You need to add in speed work - there are plenty of training schemes on the web. Also worth looking at a running club as I find this really helps with forcing you to work during intervals.
 wbo 25 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon: that. 5k is a fun and tough distance to race but with some speedwork you will likely improve a bit

NMN 25 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

I find that if one of my weekly runs is 6 x 1k speed reps off 60s rest this is great for 5k pace development.
 Banned User 77 25 Feb 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

You aren't going to run a 5k pb every week, running that hard every week won't help.

I'd pick one a month as a pb run at most.
JMGLondon 15 Mar 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

Quick update. Following your advice I've been doing weekly speed sessions on the track with a much faster runner and I increased the tempo of my long run. Times came back to 19.30 and ran a PB today with a 19.14.

Helpful advice and much appreciated, cheers.
weakdave 15 Mar 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

Run shorter distances at a faster pace and you will find that it helps you run the longer distances faster. I trained for a marathon aiming to average 8 minute miles but the furthest I was running was 15 miles at 6.5-7 minute miles. Did the marathon in under 7.5 minute miles. The hard part comes in then judging race pace and not killing yourself too early
 Banned User 77 15 Mar 2014
In reply to weakdave:

That just shows you got your marathon pace wrong..

Running at marathon pace, 60-90 seconds under marathon pace for 15 miles should be nigh on impossible..

I run marathons at around 6 min miles.. 5k's 5:15-5:20's...

Even running 10 milers at 6:15 is a hard session.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...