UKC

Wild camping + easy mountaineering (Coruisk/Knoydart etc)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Last 10 Feb 2014
Hello, can anyone help me with this one?

My rather strange friend wants to go to Scotland next week for a winter trip, but is keen to get out in the back of beyond and camp for a few nights, interspersed with some easy routes during the day (winter walking - grade II, but more than likely just winter walking).

I am pretty sure it's going to be minging and baltic camping for 2+ nights on end, so am less than keen, but I thought I'd make a few inquiries on his behalf anyway. (We have proper tent, equipment and experience to know what's too risky weather & conditions wise)

I really don't want to go anywhere where we can't walk out in a couple of hours and don't really want to camp above the snowline. So really, I'm looking for suggestions of places that might be suitable and have suitable easy mountaineering objectives nearby under current loaded-to-buggery conditions.

To my mind, coastal might be a bit better as it'll be a bit milder (better for camping) for one thing, so specifically does anybody know:

Currently (notwithstanding snowfall over the next week) is the road into Kinloch Hourn passable and is there any snow on the Knoydart hills?

Coruisk. Is much of the ridge generally accessible from Coruisk, or is it all a bit of a nightmare? Similarly, are there currently any winter conditions in The Cuillin?

Anyone done something similar based out of Camasunary & climbing on Bla Bheinn, or it it an inconvenient base?

Any other suggestions of where we could go for a good base, anywhere in Scotland, although West Coast preferred? Suggestions of places with bothies nearby most welcome, so I don't have to stay in a minging tent.

Cheers,
Tom

Cameron94 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Torridon is where I would go if I wasn't busy this week.
OP Tom Last 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Cameron94:

Thanks Cameron.

I did wonder about Torridon. Was up the other week and did a bit of the Liathach traverse and Beinn Alligin traverse, which were really good.

Guess it's a pretty quick hike in & you certainly feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Plenty more ridges up that way, which would be good.
Cheers.
In reply to Tom Last:

Why not bothy it? I might pick Seana Bhraigh, in your shoes. Or Fisherfield.
OP Tom Last 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks Dan, yeah happy with bothies.

Will look at those suggestions, thanks.
 Ramblin dave 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Stuff I've been wanting to do for a while in that vein includes Ben Alder (your choice of bothy plus extra hills), and a three day Glenfinnan to Inverie walk via a few hills, a couple of bothies and a boat back. Last year we did the Carn Toul to Braeriach traverse via a night at Corrour Bothy and a bit of pootling around the central Cairngorms with a night at the Hutchie Hut, both of which were also great.

I don't know how any of that would work in the current conditions, or whether the Inverie to Mallaig boat is currently running or not...
 malky_c 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

It might be minging but it's actually pretty mild up here just now, and doesn't look like it's going to change much over the next week or so. Plus there are loads of mini-pockets of nice weather dotted about, so you might get some spectacular situations in amongst the mingingness.

Snowline seems pretty high in the north and northwest, so getting about isn't much of an issue. Different story in the central Highlands and Cairngorms though.
OP Tom Last 10 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks guys for the suggestions and info re' conditions, thanks Malky_C

Ramblin Dave. Good call re' Glenfinnan to Inverie, like the idea of having a pub at the end too! I've done Glenfinnan - Glen Dessary - Barrisdale - Shiel Bridge in summer so would be cool to see a bit more of the area.

Likewise, good shout re' Ben Alder. Take it there's a number of bothies out there then? All of them decent spots?

Thanks again all.
In reply to Tom Last:

For Ben Alder you've got Ben Alder Cottage and Culra bothies, both well known (the latter generally busier). You could do something like Corrour station - Loch Ossian YHA - Ben Alder cottage via one or two of the munros south of the loch - Ben Alder and Bheinn Bheoil - Culra - Lancet Edge (grade I ridge) onto Sgurr Iutharn and then back towards Loch Ossian along the Geal Charn range. That would be a good c.3 days out. When are you going though? It's currently buried under a ton of snow.

With that in mind the Glenfinnan to Inverie option might be better. Lower level, more coastal, less snowy currently, and you've the option to follow glens and passes all the way or to nip up a summit or three depending on conditions.
 tom.fox 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

or Fisherfield forest-Shenavall is a great bothy in a superb spot with one of the best mountains in scotland right behind it!easy walk in too.feel jealous!
 Jim Fraser 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Affric - Allt Beithe YH

Monar - maol-Bhuidhe bothy
 Joe G 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> (In reply to Tom Last)

> With that in mind the Glenfinnan to Inverie option might be better. Lower level, more coastal, less snowy currently, and you've the option to follow glens and passes all the way or to nip up a summit or three depending on conditions.

Another vote for that - amazing hills if you follow the tops, but a lovely walk if you take the lowest route. I did this just over a year ago - Glenfinnan to a'Chuil bothy the first day then followed the low level path to Inverie the next. I was going to do a three day high level walk but the weather was rubbish. Also, the fire at Sourlies bothy isn't the best. Another good thing about it is the ferry / train back to Glenfinnan - The reason I was going to Knoydart was for a fancy dress party so it was nice not to have to stagger back to Kinloch Hourn with a hangover!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...