UKC

I resign!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Bourne 11 Feb 2014
No I haven't really.
But I have spoken to people at work who keep saying, "if such and such happens I'll resign!" Yet when it comes to the crunch very few do. It is fine to leave a job if you have another one to go to or are financially independent but it takes guts or desperation to leave a job without a safety net.
So I was wondering how many UKCr's have resigned from their job without having another to go to and for what reasons? What would push you to leave your job on matters of principle?
 felt 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I resigned because of a combination of being fed up of commuting week in, week out on the Northern Line, and being unsuited to the job I was doing. No job to go to, but I knew that I could make it as a freelance (I've done so). I suppose you could say that the principles I felt had been infringed were 1. the right not to crushed for an hour a day by sweaty, jabby bodies and 2. the right to have a job I enjoyed (2 is a bit weak, principle-wise. No one was being murdered, although I did see a fatal stabbing at Waterloo on the Tube (see 1)).
 Ava Adore 11 Feb 2014

I went one better and walked out of a job without even giving notice . I'd only been in the job 3 months and had been bullied the whole time by my jerk of a boss. I came back from my 2 week honeymoon to be greeted by a full on rant about something stupid. I told him to "fcuk off" and walked out.

But then I could only do this because I had a husband who was earning and could support me short term.
 Choss 11 Feb 2014
Walked out of Several jobs on Spot.

One when i walked into managers office demanded one Pound fifty an hour pay rise or id walk. He went cheap and offered just a Pound so i walked.

Left another on the Spot when i found out we were Making missile components.

Best, i was working in a Private ambulance control room. Actually enjoyed the job despite Having to wear a uniform thing. Then one day my manager told me i had to go home and have a shave because i had too much stubble. Told her thats ridiculous and if she made me go home to shave i wouldnt bother Coming Back. she did i didnt.
Post edited at 09:21
 butteredfrog 11 Feb 2014

Once in anger! Walked out of the family business after a big argument over brother-in-law' management of the company. (Six months later he split up with my sister, shut the company, colluded with the recievers and did a runner with about £100,000). Cost me a lot of money that one.

Once when subcontracting, they tried to sack me for taking a Monday off. I reminded them that they hadn't paid me for three months, got as much cash out of them as I could on the spot and told them to f@@k off.

Cheers Adam
 ebygomm 11 Feb 2014
I did it just before Christmas.

It was the cumulative effects of lots of little things rather than a single incident.

I would never have said I would resign and then not gone through with it. Which is why I was surprised that my manager hadn't taken me seriously when I handed in my written notice the day after I told him I was going to resign.
Post edited at 09:32
 Little Brew 11 Feb 2014

i have not walked out as such, but was told both times on 2 different jobs when i handed in my notice that they wouldn't accept it.

First on was over Christmas and i had nothing to go to but still living at home and manager told me i had to work Christmas eve, boxing day, New years eve and new years day despite having organised with him back in October i was away over Christmas.... Bye bye handed in a week before Christmas as per my contract of 1 week notice!!!

Second time was i had a job to go to! there was a Stock take the Friday but i was due to do some pre-job admin that day, i handed in my notice for me to finish on the Wednesday... 1 week notice as per contract, Manager STORMS on to the floor ranting and raving, i calmly ask her to continue this in the office, she continues to rant and rave as i walk to the office saying nothing, get in to the office and i calmly say i go next Wednesday or i go now, she continues to rant and rave as i calmly remove my name tag, hand over my building keys and clear my locker and walk out! my dad was so proud that i stayed calm and he threatened to go give her a stern talking to!

the 3rd time will be the end of this year when i leave my job to move to Northern Ireland to be with my Husband who starts his new job over there next month.... and i have no job to move to! scared!!!! oh well looking to volunteer at anything to keep me busy till i find a job.
 blurty 11 Feb 2014

Chris, a mate of mine was getting a load of grief about completing a tender submission (Which had been delayed because of the incompetence of the boss) He was going to have to work through the night, again, to meet the deadline apparently. He had a plan though:

He said to the boss, 'Did I tell you by the way, I'm retiring'. 'No' says the boss, 'When do you go?'

'About half past six' says Chris, and off he went.

Priceless.
 lost1977 11 Feb 2014

I've done it more than once, 2nd day of unemployment today
 paul-1970 11 Feb 2014

Rather an unsavoury tale, but my brother used to work with a guy who was given a final written warning for persistent lateness and a shoddy attitude.

The guy disappeared into the gents to make use of the letter and then returned it to the boss before walking out. I suppose you could say it was a reply with his thoughts on the matter.
 Thrudge 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:

> I went one better and walked out of a job without even giving notice . I'd only been in the job 3 months and had been bullied the whole time by my jerk of a boss. I came back from my 2 week honeymoon to be greeted by a full on rant about something stupid. I told him to "fcuk off" and walked out.

Awesome. Madam, I take my hat off to you.
 The Lemming 11 Feb 2014

> So I was wondering how many UKCr's have resigned from their job without having another to go to and for what reasons? What would push you to leave your job on matters of principle?

Yep I've resigned from jobs if I did not like them with no safety net.

The last time was 11 years ago. I'd just resigned from a Job For Life in the civil service because I became disillusioned to go into care work. The care work did not work out and I was asked to do more and more, for which I was not comfortable with. I was not told to do anything illegal, in fact the company was very respectable, it was just that I was not comfortable with the complete job change.

In effect I was in the position where I had to resign or do a job which I could not do, and for which I would ultimately be sacked from and get a bad reference. As it was the resignation worked out well because my employer gave me a great reference which was a stepping stone to another job in a completely different direction.

Some times you have to leave a job for your health or sanity. Or you could just site tight and suffer.

I choose to leave when it affects my well being.
 jack_44 11 Feb 2014

In my previous job I was lamented for missing 5 days after being in a car crash on my way to said job (on a Sunday, when I shouldn't have been working anyway) and then lamented when I missed a short amount of time due to an injury, partly caused at said job. I carried on, until it turned into a 7 day a week job, handed my notice I to finish before Christmas 2012, and just booked a one way flight to go travelling. Never looked back since. Don't know why I stuck it for so long, but the money certainly helped.

Only a hill 11 Feb 2014

I resigned from my (part time) job as a Co-Op delicatessen assistant without anything else lined up, but then again I was in my final year at university and had more pressing things to do with my time!

Doubt I would resign nowadays unless I knew I could make a decent living from writing alone (unlikely to happen). There just aren't that many decent jobs in my area.
TOS 11 Feb 2014

I once worked for a company where I was sent offshore or site (3 locations), doing 14hr days, for just over six weeks straight.
When I finally got a couple of days working onshore (again 12hrs on site), I had the weekend off in my sights... when I got back to the office at 8pm on the Friday, all I had to do was put the gear away, lock up and go home... except there was post-it note on my laptop waiting for me, explaining my offshore check-in for Saturday was 7am...
The lead-up to this 8 week long stint was almost as bad, but at least I got the occasional weekend off here and there.

Even though I had no job lined up to go to, I just wanted the endless cycle of work to stop... so I handed my notice in.

Utter b'stards to work for, but 16 years on, I'm now their client so they have to be nice to me...
 Timmd 11 Feb 2014

A family friend once told his boss he wouldn't be able to continue working for him after certain changes, thinking his boss would alter what he'd done.

'I accept your resignation' was the reply...which he didn't want that to happen.
 keith sanders 11 Feb 2014

Hi Duncan I walked away from my very profitable company and left it to my partner, so I could go climbing whenever I chose to and get away from all the stess of sorting everyboby else's problems, not much money now but lots of climbing here and abroard.
keith s
 nw 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Ava Adore:
> I told him to "fcuk off" and walked out.

>

Everyone should do this at least once
Post edited at 12:38
 Dauphin 11 Feb 2014

Done it once. Quit on the spot complete with a less than politely go f*ck yourselves email to all the directors of the company. Redirected my phone to my new boss and handed back the company car at the end of the week. I had half a months pay in the bank and huge outgoings. Made for a tense couple of months but everything fell into place pretty quickly. A good lesson for me.

D

I wanted to carry on to HNC at 18, but my employer wanted me to program/operate CNC full time. I left, started the HNC at college and found somewhere else a couple of months later that supported me up to my honours degree.

Sometimes you have to take these risks. However, I didn't have the responsibility of a mortgage back then!
 Darron 11 Feb 2014

When I was 13 the owner of the paper shop I worked at told me I was having too many weekends off to go camping with the Scouts and I had to make a choice. I did and have tried to continue to 'work to live' rather than 'live to work' ever since.

Sorry for the smugness but I'm taking early retirement this summer to spend more time in beautiful places .
 David Barratt 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

Good on you re. the missile parts.
 AlisonSmiles 11 Feb 2014

I left in September 2012. I'd been with the company for 14 years, and we were all about Olympic medals, I found that as London Games approached I had a sense of completeness. I'm mortgage free which makes a significant difference. When people ask me what made me do it, I simply say because I was happy. Because I was happy, in a really good place, happy with me, with my life, and in a great position to travel solo in a fantastic frame of mind.

It wasn't desperation and I had enough savings that I was prepared to enjoy / lose / waste / spend / invest in me that I admit it didn't take guts to do either. The biggest thing was taking a leap with the belief that I would be able to find work again when I wanted to work again. That worked out too.
 Ava Adore 11 Feb 2014
In reply to nw:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Everyone should do this at least once

Agreed.

Mind you, I had to go back in a few days later to pick up my P45. That was scary.
 johncook 11 Feb 2014
Done it three times:
Told my boss that if I didn't get the grade recognition for the job in the review I would leave. Didn't get grade (money saving?) so gave him my pre-written notice and left. Felt good, especially the numerous calls from him and personnel asking me to come back as the project was still ongoing and no one could work the equipment I had built on a very tight budget!
Left used car sales when the boss told me to be 'a little more subtle when filling in finance forms'. The new consumer credit act said that the interest rate had to be filled in for the customer to see. Wrote my notice on the back of a sales contract and gave it to him, told him to send my money on payday. Oddly he did.
When in the USA moved through the promotion system really quickly (not hard as most of my fellow workers were time fillers waiting for payday.)Then ran into a Regional Vice President who didn't like the fact I was British and that, as a devout christian, he believed that all athiests (which he had found out I was!) were dishonest! He made my life as difficult as he could. Then one week the CEO was touring the successful areas to say thank you. He visited me and we travelled my stores, telling them how well the area was doing. They all sang my praises! Great ego boost! Got back to my office. He gave me the framed certificate etc and asked if I had anything to say. Told him that I would not work for the RVP, as he was a racist and a religious bigot, any longer, gave him my keys, laptop, phone etc and left with the parting comment that I felt as though it was constructive dissmissal. Two weeks later I got a phone call to attend a meeting re my leaving. Took a lawyer friend (Divorce lawyer but didn't mention that!)They just sat there giving me payoffs as long as I signed a confidentiality clause (lawyer friend said it would not stand up in court), but as I needed the money I took it. I was due to retire in a couple of years anyway!
It is something that has to be done to prevent being used and abused my the minority of bosses who are bad!
Post edited at 14:56
OP Duncan Bourne 12 Feb 2014

Excellent responses thanks
I think it is probably also easier to leave a job if you have skills you can transfer
 nastyned 12 Feb 2014

I walked out of a job when I'd had enough of the bullying boss. Unlike her I kept it polite but it was still good seeing the fear in her face when I had it out with her before going.
Jim C 12 Feb 2014
Not me but my work colleague did recently, and went to live with in -laws in Orkney .( he got put to work on the croft -unpaid)

It was a bit of a surprise to everyone,as you say, it is unusual,but he got a job with the council after a bit.

I would love to resign by the way, but still got kids at home , however, mortgage free, so plan is as soon as the ' kids '' who are both working, leave, I will sell up downsize, and retire early,
I will be poor, but happier
(my wife is currently unaware of the plan though )

peppermill 12 Feb 2014

Once, though it wasn't particularly brave as I had seen it coming and saved enough to tide me over and I was in a position with no real commitments.

I left a stable job that was mine for as long as I wanted because I could see things going down the pan and I wanted out. I picked up work pretty quickly but ended up working somewhere that was much, much worse. It took over a year to get back into a similar role.
 marsbar 12 Feb 2014

I refused to sign a new contract on worse terms when the council decided to cut my pay by £5000 a year and said that we would be sacked if we refused to sign the new contracts. http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Pay-cuts-1-700-Derbyshire-County-Council-st...

I left in 2010 instead of waiting it out. Very few people had the balls to tell them to stick it, but I am glad I did. I'm now on a fair bit more than I was before the pay cut. I also have my dignity. No-one forces me to sign a new contract like that.

Stupid thing is that single status was supposed to ensure fair pay for women.

Sharp 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Walked out of Several jobs on Spot.

> One when i walked into managers office demanded one Pound fifty an hour pay rise or id walk. He went cheap and offered just a Pound so i walked.

> Left another on the Spot when i found out we were Making missile components.

> Best, i was working in a Private ambulance control room. Actually enjoyed the job despite Having to wear a uniform thing. Then one day my manager told me i had to go home and have a shave because i had too much stubble. Told her thats ridiculous and if she made me go home to shave i wouldnt bother Coming Back. she did i didnt.

I'm starting to think you've got a good book in you, "Hell's kitchen - one man's journey from missile manufacturing to the depths of the catering underworld"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...