UKC

UKC Conditions report, Skye 10th Feb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Lates 11 Feb 2014
Despite all the heavy snow, conditions have proved quite good this past week. The old snow still has plenty of give in it so no significant slab worries and the depth of fresh has rarely been above knee height. Check blog posts - http://skyeguides.co.uk/blog/
The crest of the ridge is still the place to be; if you've never been up there with total snow cover you should treat yourself.
With freezing levels very high any steep routes have been unappealing with little reliable ice or hard neve to pull on. Colder this week should consolidate things and I'm hopeful of getting the screws and snow-stakes out by the weekend.
If that does happen a Traverse should also be possible if the winds stay down long enough. Patience......
 James Edwards 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Thanks Mike; great to have a spy in the area.
james
Tim Chappell 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

I'm drooling on my keyboard here, Mike. Your fault
 BnB 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Blimey that's a lot of snow. Keep it under a blanket please until I get there in ten days or so. So many objectives, but will winter last? Would be just my luck for it to vanish. Long range forecast changes every hour. Next week could offer a couple of amazing days for lucky visitors (and locals). Hope you have some great days and stamp some of that snow down into neve for me.
OP Mike Lates 15 Feb 2014
In reply to BnB:

Snows going nowhere. Skiing & boarding in Fionn Choire yesterday was great fun; wish bband was fast enough to put videos up.
Under foot progress was pretty fast; rarely more than ankle deep. We hit a section with an icy crust at about 700m so stopped. Above generally looked windswept with fingers of powder sitting in the dips. Small cornice right along skyline above and odd little sloof where wind appeared to have cracked a bit off but overall looking pretty stable on these aspects.
Riming only on the top 100m of height or so on the rocks we saw so climbing routes still lower attraction than the crests.
Tim Chappell 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

How do you think Pinnacle Ridge on SnG would be just now, Mike? Powderfest? Would there be any ice?
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Only guessing but probably very good but run-out with some hanging snow but not prohibitive. Slow & full-on IV+. Take 60m ropes to reach base of 3rd (to snow bollard belay) & then 4th Pinnacles plus long abseil tat for going around big features.
Good forecast early this week.
In reply to Mike Lates:

Not sure if this link to the boarding video will work- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=249402578571438&saved
Tim Chappell 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:
Brilliant info, Mike. Thanks. We probably won't do that, then--I don't think my estimable partner for next Friday should start her winter-climbing career with a full-on IV+

Loved the vid.
Post edited at 12:26
 Raskye 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Nice video Mike. When's the chairlift going in? Angus doing the mountain restaurant?
In reply to Raskye:

Quad bikes we reckoned would be more versatlie & then I can sell rides all summmer too Cooper's Cuillin Cafe?
 Raskye 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Surely The Old Inn Pin?
 martinph78 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Mike Lates:

Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Maybe next year for me now though!
OP Mike Lates 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:
As requested by UKC this thread is now closing.
Updated post now available- http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=579757

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...