UKC

New variation on the Shield Direct?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 12 Feb 2014
The Canadians who came over for the BMC International meet appear to have done a new route or significant variation on the Shield Direct on Ben Nevis http://alpinestyle.ca/2014/02/12/the_bmc_winter_meet_and_scottish_mixed_mad... Does anyone know more?

Their pics of Mega Route X look worryingly thin too! Brave folk and talented ice climbers rather clearly.!
 andyinglis 12 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA:

The way I read it they bailed before they finished it, and that they considered it unfinished. New route for the taking you say?

Andy
 HeMa 12 Feb 2014
In reply to andyinglis:

New variation, not a route...
 Wry Gob 12 Feb 2014
In reply to HeMa:

It just looks like Shield Direct to me?
OP TobyA 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Wry Gob:

I've not climbed on that bit of the mountain and definitely not a route that hard - but I thought I remembered SD going up a corner line as these chaps seem to have done too? Are those the lower pitches shown in the pictures? Because they talk about joining SD higher up.
 Erik B 13 Feb 2014
In reply to TobyA: i just posted a thread about this and then saw this one. It looks lkke he did the roofed thing in this photo of titans wall. I thoight shield direct was right ofn this? But i dont have a ben guide to check

Dont see why it shouldnt be recorded if its new variation?

Michael Gordon 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Erik B:

> Dont see why it shouldnt be recorded if its new variation?

Shouldn't you have to reach easy ground to record? Not sure if one can just join an existing route and ab off, even if the weather is appalling!
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:
I'd say to claim a variant reaching the parent route = job done. After all there's no new climbing above is there?

Provided it's a proper line not a 'run away' traverse.
Post edited at 21:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...