UKC

Posting photos of your children online

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alyson 12 Feb 2014
I'm of an age where my facebook news feed is approximately 80% pictures of peoples' foetal scans/babies/toddlers, and having now got my own little mini me to show off I've had to think seriously about to what extent to do that.

So, in order to provoke some discussion... do you post pictures of your children on facebook/flickr/instagram/twitter or other social media? How would you feel if your parents had done so as you were growing up?

Much as I am amazed and proud of how intelligent, strong, determined and funny my daughter is, I feel she has a right to privacy too. Does such a thing still exist?? I also think she has the right to choose how much of her life makes it onto the internet. Any empassioned argument about why I'm ok to document her every move online will be gratefully received
In reply to Alyson:

I only have genuine friends on Facebook some of whom I don't see that often. I do however like seeing thier kids growing up and I enjoy seeing the pictures they put on Facebook.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

My parents would have had to taken a photo in order to post it somewhere.

Posting millions of pictures is a bit tiresome; posting none because you're convinced everyone is a paedo is mental.

Somewhere in the middle, as with so many things in life, is probably about right.

What do I know though?
OP Alyson 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I certainly don't hold back from putting anything online because of some kind of hysterical paedophile fear. In fact it really saddens me how that kind of mentality invades the perfectly normal business of photographing children being awesome. It's more to do with removing her choice about which embarrassing baby photos make it online.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I'm saving the bare bum in the bath one for her 18th...
 33% Longer 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I wish people would understand that while they might think that their child is the cutest thing ever, not everyone agrees. Also, don't like everyone posting ultrasound scan pictures. Find the idea of a picture of your insides a bit creepy.
OP Alyson 12 Feb 2014

Well it's absolutely your job to embarrass her beyond measure in her teens. That's just good fathering
In reply to 33% Longer:

> I wish people would understand that while they might think that their child is the cutest thing ever, not everyone agrees. Also, don't like everyone posting ultrasound scan pictures. Find the idea of a picture of your insides a bit creepy.

Do you have kids?
In reply to Alyson:

Do I post pictures of my children on facebook?

Yes, but only on a locked down FB that only my distant parents/sister can see and they are also removed so only one pic/vid exists to be easily found. The bit I don't like is FB save all contributions even when deleted.
 Skol 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

Personally I don't do it. I'm not on Facebook anyway, but wouldn't of I were.
A bit of paedo xenephobia, possibly?
I'm pretty scared of the web!
 marsbar 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

My sister emails pictures of my niece to me, and to other close friends and family who are genuinely interested, rather than boring everyone with them, this seems like a sensible compromise to me.
OP Alyson 12 Feb 2014
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Seems like a good way to go about it. I have similar reservations though, regarding the way fb saves everything you post and also claims unrestricted ownership of all images you upload.

My other ethical dilemma is that I love my photography and I've taken some pictures of her I'm dead proud of! Any other subject and they'd be straight on flickr. No doubt she'll reach the age of ten and ask why I have no pictures of her online like all the other mums and dads do.
 teflonpete 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I put an occasional pic of my kids on my fb page but nothing they wouldn't put on their own pages. I wouldn't put embarrassing photos of them on there as I like to save the embarrassing stuff to show their friends in person when they come round. :0)
In reply to teflonpete:

I had pictures of my (then) 8 year old daughter on my site. When I fell out with some Cornish Nationalists on a debate forum (Cornwall 24,) they posted pedophilic comments about her under them.

Be warned.
 Carolyn 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

> No doubt she'll reach the age of ten and ask why I have no pictures of her online like all the other mums and dads do.

Ten? My 5 year old has been known to tell me to put a photo of him on FB.....

I have a fairly locked down account, and don't post much, or anything too embarrassing.
OP Alyson 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

Yesterday I came into the room to find her smiling up at me with a toy on her head, which she'd somehow got there by accident then forgotten about. Maybe when she's older she'll tell me it's ok to share that moment with the world
 MG 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

As non-child person, I would say

a) Very few people will be interested (really, whatever they say) so it hardly matters
b) Despite that, I wouldn't because whatever is there will essentially be available for all time to god knows who (frontpage pictures in 30 years just as Alyson-MK2 is about to become Prime Minister?) without your daughter having any say in it.
In reply to Alyson:

I try to reassure myself there are many more pictures of children that people can view that my controls are reasonable.
 Timmd 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:
> I certainly don't hold back from putting anything online because of some kind of hysterical paedophile fear. In fact it really saddens me how that kind of mentality invades the perfectly normal business of photographing children being awesome. It's more to do with removing her choice about which embarrassing baby photos make it online.

I see what you mean, it could depend on who sees them and how far they spread I suppose, how 'public' they become?

Not putting any up seems like the most stress/thought free solution. ()

It's probably what I'd do, so I'd less to think about, it'd lurk in the back of my mind...
Post edited at 21:39
 Yanis Nayu 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Timmd:

People see your children in real life though.
 Timmd 12 Feb 2014
They do, and if somebody you don't like the look of has a camera you can ask them to go away, not that I've ever known of somebody dodgy taking pictures of any children I've been with.

If you're only friends on line with real life friends you know you can trust, I don't suppose it's any different from having people in your house and showing them to them. I'm just the kind of person who'd find it an 'inponderable' if I put pictures of my children on line, that there might be a flaw in the software or something, or they mightn't like that I had done when they're older, which isn't to say I think peadofiles are everywhere on line, more it'd just be something less to think about.

Making things simpler is generally a good thing...
Post edited at 21:47
OP Alyson 12 Feb 2014

That doesn't mean a right to privacy doesn't exist.
 Brass Nipples 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

You post a picture on FB . Only your family and trusted friends are friends on FB. One of them comments on the photo. Their friends get notified that they have commented. They click on notification and the image of your child is visible to their friend whom you may know nothing about.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

The point I'm making is that people can see your child in real life as well as in photos. So I don't see a great problem of, say, posting a picture of your daughter feeding ducks at the pond, when anybody could watch it anyway.

If you're concerned then don't post pictures of your daughter online.
Lusk 12 Feb 2014
In reply to 33% Longer:

> I wish people would understand that while they might think that their child is the cutest thing ever, not everyone agrees.

Ain't that the truth!!!
 BCT 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

Apparently there is an app that changes all the baby pictures on your feed into pictures of cats- a stroke of genius? (pardon the pun)
 alasdair19 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

(Al's wifey here - he's in a snowhole somewhere)

If most people's baby shots are on Facebook and your privacy settings are about the same as everyone else's, then in 30-40 years most famous people / MPs etc might all get their baby photos in the paper sometimes (or might all not, depending how the privacy thing works out). Is this really a big deal? Will our kids actually see it as a privacty issue, or will they just see it as normal because it's the same for most people?

I do think NOT putting pictures up of something that has suddenly become a massive part of your life is an bit odd and might imply a mild lack of interest, to them if nobody else - too many and you're in danger of alienating friends who don't have kids / don't have a passing interest in your kids. Most of your facebook friends should at least have a passing interest in your kids, or what are you friends with them for? One to four a year is probably ideal, must admit I'm over that....
 Neil Williams 12 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I don't have my own kids, but I don't see that I would have a massive problem with it, any more than I would if my parents let anyone nose through the family albums.

Neil
 KingStapo 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

My wife and I often post pictures of our 2 and bit year old daughter, mostly so our distant friends and rels can have a laugh and see what we've been up to.

I'd never post anything where she wasn't fully clothed though, my sister-in-law often posts pictures of her 5 year old stark bollock naked and it's not on, i've actually reported some of them to Facebook as inappropriate, and mentioned it to my bro.

I did recently see one of those 'hilarious' captioned facebook picture posts in which a picture of a toddler with Sloth from the Goonies head superimposed on it, the caption read, "This is what everyone else sees when you post pictures of your kids". Probably true; I think my daughter is gorgeous but no doubt everyone else doesn't quite see the same as me.
 Edradour 13 Feb 2014
In reply to KingStapo:

> I'd never post anything where she wasn't fully clothed though, my sister-in-law often posts pictures of her 5 year old stark bollock naked and it's not on, i've actually reported some of them to Facebook as inappropriate,

Wow. You sound like a great bloke. Would speaking to her not be a more friendly way of dealing with the issue?
 FreshSlate 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Edradour:
> Wow. You sound like a great bloke. Would speaking to her not be a more friendly way of dealing with the issue?

I guess he's talked to his bro which is probably the most direct you can be with this sort of thing. I'd probably report the images myself maybe, facebook may be better at eradicating them. Wouldn't be arsed about someone's feelings to protect a nephew, but it's a weird one!

Actually not sure if it would get them trouble, I doubt it, I imagine facebook would advise them to be more careful.
Post edited at 05:45
 taine 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

It's an interesting change in the world that privacy has changed so much.

My wife and I have been somewhat private by inclination so have not shared our baby photos "publicly" but have put them on "friends only" on facebook as that's the easiest way to share with various relatives and friends. It hasn't taken long for some of those to be shared more widely but that's ok so long as its not every moment of their short lives I think.

It does seem a shame sometimes since I now rarely point my camera at anything else and I'm so proud of him I want to tell the world!
 butteredfrog 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

Only when I'm trying to sell them!

(Shame Ebay changed their selling rules)

contrariousjim 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I post pictures of our wee lad on facebook in the context of limiting privacy settings to friends only. Grandparents have gotten themselves online, so we use it as a way to share pictures, and at the moment its working the other way around as the sprog is in North Uist with his grand parents, and we can see what he's been up to. We don't allow tagging, and certainly wouldn't allow a FB account to be set up as some people do. Our nursery also use a facebook account to provide pictures to us of what Angus has been up to.. ..again, under strict privacy settings. I feel pretty relaxed about pictures of him being online... ...and indeed feel it threatens his privacy less than the large dressing screen at my parents house which has been stuck with pictures of me and my brothers and sister, nude playing in the garden, nude in the bath, nude with paints, and pictures as we have grown up, rock climbing, up the top of mountains etc. All of these are on show, as this screen has sat in the dining room for the last 20yrs or so... ...no preservation of privacy there. Then again, while I'm a pretty private person, my family is in general very unprivate.

The only argument I can give is that we get much pleasure showing photos to our friends and seeing their comments.. ..often as the source of a joke or humour (like the lookalike I posted of our lad with his little hair in the centre going forward, playing his uke singing at the top of his voice, placed alongside a picture of Mark Knopfler doing pretty much the same).
 Yanis Nayu 13 Feb 2014
In reply to 33% Longer:

> I wish people would understand that while they might think that their child is the cutest thing ever, not everyone agrees. Also, don't like everyone posting ultrasound scan pictures. Find the idea of a picture of your insides a bit creepy.

You are right, better to stick with photos of cheesecake and 23 year old women with their faces pressed together and red eyes.
 Mike Stretford 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson: I notice this when I went on to FB to reply to an invitation. Most of my FB friends aren't actually that close, and when you aren't that close to people their kids don't interest you too much. All the posts and pics just blend into one. Unless you do restrict your FB circle to family and close friends it seems a bit too public, but to be honest it is consistent with the kind of stuff prolific posters put on there anyway.
 GraemeDiack 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

This is currently a subject I'm thinking about since we're about to have a baby.
I don't think I'll post tonnes of pictures on FB of my baby, but if I did I'm wouldn't be concerned about him being annoyed at me for doing it... in 10 years time he's more likely to ask me "Dad, what was Facebook?" than "why are there photos of me naked online!". And any embarrassment factor would be mitigated by the fact that 99% of his peers would have the exact same photos available at his finger tips.
 krikoman 13 Feb 2014
In reply to GraemeDiack:

> I don't think I'll post tonnes....

Nice to see the metric system finally making headway.

taine 13 Feb 2014

lol

I put a warning on my first baby pictures on Facebook. If you aren't interested in babies unfollow me now!
 Neil Williams 13 Feb 2014
In reply to KingStapo:

If FB report it to the police that could end up in a very nasty situation - I would think posting such photos, even if not meant in a nefarious manner, is probably illegal. I've heard of teenagers getting in trouble for similar stuff.

Neil
 ByEek 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I see it as no different to displaying photos of my kids on my mantelpiece. If my friends come and visit, they would see the photos. Now they can see the photos but don't have to visit. I don't have a problem with it and my kids are more than willing to pose and equally love looking through past photos of themselves. I haven't got time to worry about other people getting hold of such photos.
 JayPee630 13 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Despite what people say FB doesn't own your photos if you upload them, I have recently left FB and they delete everything.

FWIW I think a moderate amount of photos of your kids online is OK, but do be aware they are public whatever you think or try to do to limit them. I have no worries about paedophiles but think privacy concerns are valid.
 galpinos 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:
I find it hard to describe why, but no. I'm not bothered about 'the wrong people' seing them and there are photos of her out there, taken by friends at get-togethers etc but I've not actively posted any. This probably has something to do with the fact I don't post on Facebook much and am not the kind of person who pours their heart out via the internet or constantly proclaims how amazing my life is, preferring to actually speak to people in person.

Anyone who is actually bothered about my daughter will have met her, we¡¦ll have Skype'd or might have exchanged some photos via e-mail/Dropbox.
The plethora of baby photos on Facebook generally seem to stem from women whose lives have totally changed, no longer have the opportunity to post photos of crazy nights out, posh diners or whatever and they have to fill that vacuum of 'showing off how great life is' with what there life is now about, being a mum. They've a lot of time on their hands during mat leave...

(Edited due to weird punctuation)
Post edited at 09:20
 GraemeDiack 13 Feb 2014
In reply to krikoman:

Ha, I hadn't thought about it, but after your post and a quick wikipedia-ing I now wish I'd used the term 'megagrams' instead!
 ByEek 13 Feb 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> Despite what people say FB doesn't own your photos if you upload them, I have recently left FB and they delete everything.

Not convinced - sorry. How do you know?

> but do be aware they are public whatever you think or try to do to limit them

I appreciate your sentiment, but they are only public in the same way that if a member of the public walked into your house, they would see the photos hanging on your wall. When you say that photos limited to "friends only" are public, what do you mean?
 teflonpete 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

My son is 12 and a bit of an attention seeker, but he sometimes asks me why I haven't put more pictures of him on my FB page.
 JayPee630 13 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I don't have time to explain or find/quote all the references, but there's plenty of stuff out there online that explains the issues re: FB both not owning your photos and the way other people that aren't just your friends has access to seeing your FB wall and photos.
 woolsack 13 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> Not convinced - sorry. How do you know?

> I appreciate your sentiment, but they are only public in the same way that if a member of the public walked into your house, they would see the photos hanging on your wall. When you say that photos limited to "friends only" are public, what do you mean?

I'm with you on this, I wouldn't trust FB for one tiny little minute on anything to do with so-called privacy
 ring ouzel 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I only have one picture of my daughter on fb. I dont want to put up lots of pictures of her. Most of my friends on fb are not family. my family get inflicted by gazillions of pictures on a regular basis and they like that but friends on fb dont need to see every detail of her life or see yet another 'cute' picture of her. When she is older I'll be telling her about the dangers of posting pictures on the net, it'll weaken my argument though if I have already plastered the net with pictures of her.
OP Alyson 13 Feb 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

> (Al's wifey here - he's in a snowhole somewhere)

> I do think NOT putting pictures up of something that has suddenly become a massive part of your life is an bit odd and might imply a mild lack of interest

There are lots of things which are a massive part of my life but don't find their way onto facebook! In fact I would say very little of the truly important stuff is on there, precisely because it's too important to be trivialised with 'likes' etc

OP Alyson 13 Feb 2014
In reply to woolsack:

> I'm with you on this, I wouldn't trust FB for one tiny little minute on anything to do with so-called privacy

Well the founders don't believe in internet privacy and I'm fairly certain that the first chance they get to make everything publicly available they will.
 wintertree 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

As a non-parent I couldn't give a flying monkeys about seeing other people's children on Facebook. Having Facebook friends reaching "babies rabies" age and cooing over the fact their kid is just like all the other kids out there has led to a culling of my Facebook friends list.

It also horrifies me how much some people plaster someone else all over the internet without considering their future, and despite Facebook's assurances I don't have a cent of trust in its privacy policy. Poor kids will grow up with baby and toddler photos everywhere. I wonder if these obsessed parents will reign it in as the kids grow more independent, or if they'll simply make another baby/toddler so they can repeat the process.

Removed User 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

Not a parent, but it annoys the hell out of me to see a friend's profile/cover pic showing their ultrasound or their kid. I get that they are proud and want to show off their creation, but putting it as a profile pic means I have to see it every time they post anything.

It's called a profile pic for a reason, if you're not in it I don't wanna see it.

/rant over
In reply to JayPee630:

> Despite what people say FB doesn't own your photos if you upload them, I have recently left FB and they delete everything.

Limitations on removal. Even after you remove information from your profile or delete your account, copies of that information may remain viewable elsewhere to the extent it has been shared with others, it was otherwise distributed pursuant to your privacy settings, or it was copied or stored by other users. However, your name will no longer be associated with that information on Facebook. (For example, if you post something to another user’s profile and then you delete your account, that post may remain, but be attributed to an “Anonymous Facebook User.”) Additionally, we may retain certain information to prevent identity theft and other misconduct even if deletion has been requested. If you have given third party applications or websites access to your information, they may retain your information to the extent permitted under their terms of service or privacy policies. But they will no longer be able to access the information through our Platform after you disconnect from them.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150162293220301
In reply to JayPee630:

Under Facebook’s current terms (which can change at anytime), by posting your pictures and videos, you grant Facebook “a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any [IP] content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (“IP License”). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. Beware of the words “transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license.” This means that Facebook can license your content to others for free without obtaining any other approval from you! You should be aware that once your photos or videos are shared on Facebook, it could be impossible to delete them from Facebook, even if you delete the content or cancel your account (the content still remains on Facebook servers and they can keep backups)! So, although you may be able to withdraw your consent to the use of photos on Facebook, you should also keep in mind that if you share your photos and videos with Facebook applications, those applications may have their own terms and conditions of how they use your creation! You should read the fine print to make sure you are not agreeing to something that you don’t want to have happen.
 Edradour 13 Feb 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Wouldn't be arsed about someone's feelings to protect a nephew,

I think it's a sad indictment of the world when one thinks this sort of behaviour is 'protecting' anyone. Hysterical over-reaction IMO.

Al Evans 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

My daughters and son post pictures of themselves, and James has posted quite a few of my grandchild growing up. I hope he will post pictures of my second grandchild when it is born next month. I like it.
OP Alyson 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Would you like it less if they just emailed you the pictures?
 Al Evans 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

No of course not, but FB gets them more easily to a wider audience of their friends and relatives, I don't mind that.
 tlm 13 Feb 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> I appreciate your sentiment, but they are only public in the same way that if a member of the public walked into your house, they would see the photos hanging on your wall.

Well - not quite. People walking into your house can't easily copy the pictures and send them off to other people. When you decide to take the pictures down off the wall they are gone...

You can never be sure where online digital images will end up and how permanent they are:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5507113/Beware-phot...

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10151742666510622

I have friends who put up pictures of themselves and whose pictures ended up on a very strange site, despite them requesting multiple times for them not to be used, managing to get the site shut down lots of times, but it just moved to different ISPs.

It's distressing if it is your own image - are you happy for this to happen with your child's image?

I'm very cautious with putting any information on the internet nowadays, but if I were a facebook user I would only be putting up the most innocuous stuff and nothing about anything or anyone I actually cared about.
 Hooo 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I would give serious thought to privacy concerns before posting anywhere that you don't have full control over ( such as Facebook). There might be no reason for concern now, but once it's up there it's up there for good. Who knows what situation your child could be in in ten or twenty years time that might mean they want to keep their childhood private.
Like most adoptive parents we have a total ban on any mention of our child anywhere that could become public. It's just not worth the risk. We just use Dropbox and email for sharing photos, and no one seems to mind.
OP Alyson 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Hooo:

Those are exactly the sort of thoughts I've been having. Also I wouldn't be surprised if history looks back on this as a naive time in terms of our online interactions. Just because so many of us think it normal to put our lives on the internet, doesn't mean future generations will.
 Hooo 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I think it will be normal in the future, but we're currently in a transition period where the new rules are being worked out. During this period, lots of people will embrace the new online life and be fine, but some people are going to get hurt.
 FreshSlate 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Edradour:

> I think it's a sad indictment of the world when one thinks this sort of behaviour is 'protecting' anyone. Hysterical over-reaction IMO.

Yeah you are probably right. But I guess like the O.P, I'm not sure if the child will have wanted stark naked pictures of them at the grand ol' age of five on the internet. The mothers needs to have her head shaken. Photo album sure, but lets send the picture to all her mates? No mate not really.
 ByEek 14 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

> Well - not quite. People walking into your house can't easily copy the pictures and send them off to other people. When you decide to take the pictures down off the wall they are gone...

A fair point. But such is modern life. Even in t'olden days, there would be nothing you could do to stop someone taking pictures of you and your family whilst out and about. Like I said above, I don't have the time or energy to worry about anyone who may be using my pictures maliciously but I do take a lot of joy from sharing family photos with my friends.
 adamholden 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I agree with you, I have a 2.5 year old and will not allow anybody to put his picture on a social media site. He is only 2.5 and why should a complete stranger be able to see him, even innocently? With regards to family seeing him, what we do is send a collection of weekly photos via email to individual email address. I imagine some people will say i am being ocverprotective but as he is my son i am duty bound to protect him and feel his image should not be seen by anybody who I dont know.
 marsbar 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Alyson:

I think that the thing is that no-one knows now if a particular child will end up famous for whatever reason, and then to have future journalists trawling their baby pictures does seem a bit creepy to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...