UKC

We need your help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JonS 13 Feb 2014
This is a heart felt cry for help from all you UKCers out there. If you have ever climbed in the Ariege in the French Pyrenees you probably visited the major crag of Calames and may have noticed the mostly inactive quarry next to the parking. It has recently been announced that plans have been drawn up behind closed doors to turn the quarry into a major operation with up to 350,000 tons of rock extracted and processed annually and 25 ton trucks turning up every 4-6 minutes. Apart from the obvious nuisance of noise, dust and dangerous traffic that will blight the lives of hundreds of locals and potentially kill of that tourist trade, the site itself is listed as a Natura 2000 site due to the rare species that live on the cliffs. This shouldn't be allowed but it seems where there is money to be made, common sense and local opinion counts for little. Climbing here will undoubtedly be adversely affected and could potentially be threatened with closure. The locals have mobilised in force but we need your help.
So if you have visited the area, plan to one day or just want to help protect our natural resources and climbing areas, please help by signing the petition:

http://www.petitions24.net/contre_la_reouverture_de_la_carriere_de_bedeilha...

to sign fill out the boxes:

name
surname
town
country- select 'Royaume-uni' for united kindom
email address

Thanks, your help could really make a difference.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Feb 2014
In reply to JonS:

I signed this a few days, when there were only c150 signatures and you are approaching 500 - excellent work.

The short-sightedness is astounding, I am sure the whole village (and anyone else who lives up and down the main road) must be aghast at the prospect.

Best of luck with your campaign.

Chris

PS Calamès is a FANTASTIC crag - wish I had it on my doorstep!
 Doug 13 Feb 2014
In reply to JonS:
Couldn't see any mention of which company is behind this. Lafarge by any chance ? Not so long ago they were trying for permission for a Quarry near the Col de Chioula but, partly due to local opposition, that plan seems to have been dropped.

Some thoughts by Stevie HAston & further links
http://steviehaston.blogspot.fr/2014/02/quarry-threatens-ariege-peace-by-st...

OP JonS 13 Feb 2014
In reply to Doug:

Denjean Ariège Granulats are the enemy!, out Majoress who funnily enough lives 30k away in Lavelanet signed it off over a year ago but it has only just made it into the public domain!

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2014
In reply to JonS:

Almost 600 now - well done.

Nice to see a few UK names in there - though not that many yet!

Chris
OP JonS 17 Feb 2014
In reply to JonS:

Big thanks to everyone who has signed so far...... we need more though! please sign

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...