UKC

Huddersfield - best grub

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 14 Feb 2014
Over in Huddersfield for the weekend with work, any suggestions for a meal out for one? Good curry house preferred, but open to suggestions. Must be quite cheap! have a car so happy to travel
Removed User 14 Feb 2014
In reply to goldmember:
Huddersfield doesn't exactly set the world alight in terms of cuisine (the pubs on the other hand..)

Balooshai is best curry in town but not up to the quality of nearby Bradford. Their bread is excellent and its cosy with an open kitchen.
The nearby Thai Orchid is reasonable (they do a good early bird before 7). Bradleys is a bit dated but good value and competent for bistro style food. Set menu available.
These are all in the same area by the viaduct. A few pints in the Sportsman nearby comes highly recommended (apparently food there is good, but I've never tried it bar the cheap Wednesday night stew).
The best pizza is up at Di Sandros near the motorway - they do an early bird - you are guaranteed shouty Italian wait staff.

A drive over to Bradford is only half hour after rush hour if you want to get stuck into some seriously fine curry, but that would need another thread.
Post edited at 11:11
OP goldmember 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Removed User:

only half an hour away, could take a trip! where is best in bradford?
 Dave Garnett 14 Feb 2014
In reply to goldmember:
The Fleece, up at Holme does great pub food.

fleeceinnholme.co.uk
Post edited at 11:44
 grubes 14 Feb 2014
In reply to goldmember:
> only half an hour away, could take a trip! where is best in bradford?
Thats a can of worms

In bradford you struggle to find an average curry house. The best huddersfield curry in average compared to most of bradfords.

Huddersfield curry houses Balooshi is great and the chilli lounge is good. I have heard mixed reviews about Lala which opened recently. General response I got was: Good food, small portions, not very interested wait staff. No personal experience though.

Bradford - Personally I like the one opposite the ice skating rink Omar Khans I think.

Other things in hudds:
Carribean - Discovery bay. This got to the semi finals of the F word. The goat curry is amazing. Worth ringing in the day to try book as it gets filled up.
American/Mexican - Gringos really good fajitas and massive burgers

All places reasonably priced main and a drink or two for less than £20

Beer - if you like real ale:
Rat and ratchet - Micro brewery under the pub. Great place for a pint. Also have guest beers as well as there own. Just out side of the town centre (200yards)
The grove - 15 guest beers on hand pumps. 3 kegs and 5 reagular on hand pup. Plus a menu of bottled beer. Top of town above the bus station.
The sportsman - Again go there own micro brewery. 8 hand pumps with mix of their own and guest. Real ciders for the suvners. 4 beers from kegs. under the arches near the train station.

Pub - If you want dirt cheap food and beer.
There is a weatherspoons called the cherry tree near the mcdonalds. Its okay most of the time except early evening on a friday night when it gets really busy. 8 hand pumps of local ales usual largers etc.
Removed User 14 Feb 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I love Mumtaz but you can't get a beer in there which puts a lot of people off. Simply the best curry although the bread isn't quite so good.

Thanks some great looking suggestions, mouths watering I do love my indian breads.

keep the suggestions coming
In reply to goldmember:
any feedback about Karachi or the punjab sweet house
Post edited at 17:09
 Bulls Crack 14 Feb 2014

> I love Mumtaz but you can't get a beer in there which puts a lot of people off. Simply the best curry although the bread isn't quite so good.

Never warmed to it..aha...I'm told lunchtime at the Kashmir is the place to be...rather than the evening. But none of them are as good as the Ladypool Road places in Brum!
 hokkyokusei 14 Feb 2014
In reply to goldmember:
Punjab sweet house behind the uni? Love it. Our office used to be just round the corner and we had
our board meetings there every week. We still go there occasionally (from saltaire) to get take out kebabs.

They dont do booze though. But ypu can always go round the corner afterwards to the fighting cocky which is a proper boozer.

If you're a vegi there's also prashad to consider too .
Post edited at 18:47
 mwr72 14 Feb 2014

> I love Mumtaz but you can't get a beer in there which puts a lot of people off. Simply the best curry although the bread isn't quite so good.

The owner of Mumtaz built his business on drugs money.

To the OP,

When we have a takeaway we get ours from this restaurant http://www.aakashrestaurant.co.uk/
It's also closer than Bradford and is absolutely second to none in the area.
Removed User 14 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:
I didn't know that, but I'm judging the quality of the curry, not the ching.

I'll check out aakash for sure though.
Post edited at 19:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...