UKC

Is this a picture of a British crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Don't be silly - that's obviously Tippler Direct and Ladybower in the backgound - anyone can see that.

E
 Bulls Crack 14 Feb 2014

Thirlmere?
Ste Brom 14 Feb 2014

Lake Devero Italy?
 ByEek 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

I would have said they moved Sirplum to a sunny location, reversed it so that you climb up and right rather than left and bolted the line.
 lost1977 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

looks like it
 Ian Parsons 14 Feb 2014

Not entirely clear, but that quickdraw in the foreground looks a bit like a chain perma-draw. Do we use those anywhere in the UK?
 Trangia 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Don't be silly - that's obviously Tippler Direct and Ladybower in the backgound - anyone can see that.

> E

No way! It's quite obviously Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark with Stickle Tarn in the background, before they cleared the trees.

Sports climbing with a blue lagoon? It must be Harpur Hill of course.
 Carless 14 Feb 2014

Someone's bolted Easter Island?!
 Bob 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Carless:

Surely it's Cheddar with the Somerset levels in the background.
 Duncan Bourne 14 Feb 2014

Of course it is a British crag! Here is another one of Stanage.

http://www.desktopstarships.com/SpaceGallery/originalimages/sp_mountains_of...
 whenry 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Ste Brom: That's my guess too.
 AdrianC 14 Feb 2014

Could be Auchinstarry. That's still in Britain, isn't it?
 mike123 14 Feb 2014
yep. well informed and researched article to, obviously a real enthusiast.....

It's obvious isn't it? Amazed no one has seen the similarities:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/magazine/sussex_walks/west_sussex_walks/9906804.E...
 Bulls Crack 14 Feb 2014

There was a "great days out in Yorkshire by Rail' or some-such poster in stations a few years ago. I looked and thought 'That's not Yorkshire' and then o closer inspection it wasn't even Britain...'Great days out in Slovakia would have been nearer the mark'.
 Seocan 14 Feb 2014
In reply to AdrianC:

that's what Auchenstarry looks like in king alex's eyes.
 Bulls Crack 14 Feb 2014

Got it now: North York Moors
 HakanT 14 Feb 2014

It's a stock photo. You'll find that photo and some other entertaining "climbing" photos here:
http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/rock-climbing.html#

Canada seems like a good guess based on the spruces in the background.

It's a crag on the south-west side of Emerald Bay, which is itself on the south-west side of Lake Tahoe California. The view is looking towards the north-east.
 jon 14 Feb 2014
In reply to John Stainforth:

Ah yes John, I could go with that. Mayhem Cove perhaps?
 alooker 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Ste Brom:

google image search certainly thinks so...
In reply to jon:

I have just grabbed Tim Toula's compendium of climbing areas in North America and he lists 9 crags "at Emerald Bay", and Mayhem is indeed one. I personally know more or less exactly where this crag is, but I haven't made the effort to go through Tim's "directions" to work out which it is.
In reply to alooker:

I didn't know you could do an image search with Google Images. Wow! It indeed pointed to a vaguely similar picture labelled Lake Devero. But I am sure I am right about Lake Tahoe/Emerald Bay. Anyone want to take a bet?
 alooker 14 Feb 2014

yeah could well be, but I think I remember there being a pretty big island in the middle of emerald bay though. Maybe the angle of this photo?
 kevin stephens 14 Feb 2014

It's actually Lester Mill Quarry with Anglezarke reservoir in the background. The predictions were all true; all it needed was bolts and it would become a world class sport climbing venue, and the sun would come out
 jon 14 Feb 2014

It's not far up and right of the parking. Probably about the nearest to the road. The rock looks about right too. I'll go with it despite people being sure about the Italian one.
 jonnylowes 14 Feb 2014

Looks ligit to me, probably Northumberland. There are a lot of trees and lakes in Northumberland. I think the locals call them 'Loughs.'
In reply to alooker:

Yes, the island is obscured by trees.
OP Morgan Woods 15 Feb 2014
In reply to jon:

Well done! Just send a self addressed envelope to Rubbish Climbing Articles Ltd to claim your prize :p
 jon 15 Feb 2014

Well done John. When you made your first post I assumed that you'd climbed there - but it seems you hadn't, which makes spotting it doubly impressive! I've spent a little time around Tahoe in the last few years - Hilary's done the Tahoe marathon a couple of times - and we've climbed at Mayhem each time. Even so I wouldn't have made the connection without the pointer.
In reply to jon:

I was only at the tourist spot for about ten minutes, but I have a nearly photographic memory!
 alooker 15 Feb 2014

Agreed. Dude. You just beat google...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...