UKC

Inspire confidence?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 14 Feb 2014
What should we expect from "qualified" climbing instructors at climbing walls?

Is it too much to ask that they should be level headed, be able to look at weather conditions, a map, and be able to observe where they are when out away from the confines of their rock gym?

Or was it just me that found the following rather funny / ironic?

"We’re both instructors at the Glasgow Climbing Centre,” Willis explained. “We wanted a day out after several failed attempts the previous week due to bad weather. We originally planned to travel to Glen Coe to try Central Grooves, but when this failed we decided to head for Menage a Trois. But even this failed thanks to our route finding skills."

Full report here
http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=4513

Good climbing though guys
Tim Chappell 14 Feb 2014
In reply to subtle:

It was meant to be funny/ ironic.

Were you up there at the same time as they were, so you've got a handle on what the conditions were that they couldn't find their route in?

One time I walked in to Sneachda to climb Fingers Ridge, and not only could I not find the route; I couldn't find the crag.

But then, no doubt, I'm a clown
OP subtle 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to subtle)
>
> It was meant to be funny/ ironic.

>
> But then, no doubt, I'm a clown

Nah, but you do own a lovely wine coloured jacket

http://www.scottishwinter.com/?p=4519
Tim Chappell 14 Feb 2014
In reply to subtle:

Yours for a tenner; it cost me five
 OwenF 14 Feb 2014
In reply to subtle:

The qualification these two quoted is not qualified. e.g. they could be CWA, SPA or even maybe MIA, which would be more than adequate to instruct at GCC. Neither imply that they should be or are proficient in winter mountaineering/climbing.

The two statements are independent in my opinion, I don't think you can make such an assessment from what is written there.

Tim Chappell 14 Feb 2014
In reply to OwenF:

Subtle speaks of looking at a map. That's one of the first things that goes in a real hoolie: the possibility of looking at a map. Even if you can get it out, and even if it's in a map-case, you won't be able to consult it before it blows away; even before it blows away, you won't be able to see to read it. Assuming, of course, that you can stand up at all.
 martinph78 14 Feb 2014
In reply to subtle:
What do YOU expect of someone instructing at an indoor climbing wall?

Far too much judging by the tone of your post...
Post edited at 13:52
Tim Chappell 14 Feb 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

Mike Lates' blog today says that on one of his recent ventures Mike (a) forgot his crampons and (b) couldn't relocate a stashed sack at the bottom of the route. I don't know about anyone else, but that in no way undermines my very high opinion of Mike as a guide and as a mountaineer. It just makes me think "Good for him that he's not too insecure to admit a mistake."

Everybody hates it when they bumble, but bumbling happens, to everybody.
 Skyfall 14 Feb 2014
In reply to subtle:
Well, not wanting to be abrasive, but I think you are being quite unreasonable. What has being an instructor at an indoor (not outdoor) wall got to do with outdoor skills? Any qualifications required to teach indoors (basically how to belay and lead climb on bolts) would and should be completely different to outdoors skills (hugely more varied).

That is not to say that an indoors instructor who could impart some knowledge of the great outdoors would not be a good thing. But it's hardly a requirement.

No idea about the people you refer to or the way in which their blog was intended (didn't read it) but your OP seems strange to me.
Post edited at 14:00
 OwenF 14 Feb 2014

I've obviously completely misunderstood the main point of the OP then.

It read like instructor = should be competent in all discipline.

I'll revert back to my cave....
 martinph78 14 Feb 2014

Totally agree. It gives you something to laugh about afterwards.

IM 14 Feb 2014

i think you meant Mike Pescod.

but your point holds whatever.
 Ander 14 Feb 2014
In reply to subtle:

Ummm... I've seen way funnier displays of lack of climbing knowledge, experience, expertise from indoor wall instructors.

One wanted to replace a virtually brand new cam beaucse it was busted while in his bag. The wire was bent. A little straightening- hey presto, it worked again.

Not that it was much use for him... he didn't like heights, so never really got into outdoor climbing anyway.
Tim Chappell 14 Feb 2014
In reply to mac fae stirling:

You're quite right. My apologies to Mr Lates. (I checked their blogs one after the other. And they're both called Mike, which is confusing.)
 Michael Gordon 14 Feb 2014
In reply to above:

This is a troll.
 French Erick 15 Feb 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Agreed. I invite who has never made a judgement mistake to cast the first stone. I have plenty to recall. So long as a)no one is injured/dead b)No-one has made a call for rescue team when there is no need and c)No major ethical poo-poo has been done I think it is a perfectly valid description.
I know one of the lads and I am proud of him braving the big bad weather. He did not strike me as a winter climber in the making when he was younger.

Still, always was a good climber and it shows we're all judgmental at times and often wrong!
Go Euan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...