UKC

Any ROM Flashing experts in the room?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 14 Feb 2014
My Tablet is no longer supported by the manufacturer for updates. And the last official Jelly Bean update has caused many problems which the manufacturer isn't bothered about fixing.

So, I want to breath new life into my Android Tablet by dabbling with banging on a now ROM

Does anybody know of any reputable ROMS or websites that I should knock the door on?

I'm only interested in Jelly Bean at the moment and not Kit Kat.

Cheers
 fire_munki 14 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I used cyanogen on my phone and I'm pretty sure they do a tablet variant. Worth a try.
 robert-hutton 14 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

They forums.xda and do.search for your device, forum post will give feedback on the good rom's and how to flash
 jfmchivall 14 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

CyanogenMod works on most devices. Have a look at their site to see if yours is supported. CM is the biggest and most reliable of the AOSP based ROMs. Depending on your device you may need to root it first to be able to flash a new rom.

Have fun!
 BigBrother 15 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

xda and modaco forums are a good start. It really depends whether someone has figured out how to root your device and made a rom for it. Be aware that for many custom roms seem to be a hobby, constantly trying new ones. They often introduce bugs and features may not work so it needs a lot of reading to understand how well the rom works.
OP The Lemming 17 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Blatant bump

Any other ROM'ers here willing to offer some advice?

I'm looking into Cyanogen at the moment but I'm a bit scared to take the plunge and kill my Tablet.
 jfmchivall 17 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Honestly, as long as your device is supported by CyanogenMod, you'll be absolutely fine flashing it. Just follow the instructions carefully.

Back up all your data first, obviously.
 PPP 17 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I'll second Cyanogenmod. I have been using quite few different ROMs, liked many features of other ROMs, but most of the ROMs are so unstable that I had to go back to CM. I don't use much features of CM itself, but it works better than stock Touchwiz for sure.

I would recommend to use stable versions, not nightlies. My phone crashed few times while using nightly versions. Also, it becomes very boring to install an update every night while stable version does not need any maintenance. Still, I do backups every night with Titanium Backup Pro. It's super easy to restore the phone that way.

Make sure you have all packages you need and then follow instructions. If you make sure you understand every step, you will be fine. I'm not responsible for any failures, though.
 Gazlynn 17 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

You've got to ask yourself are the problems you're getting that drastic? Or can you live with them as I think you're a bit like me,Once you start messing about with this type of thing you won't stop until you've knackered it. I rooted my phone because I wanted tasker to work with gps. A month later I was messing about with bootloaders kernels and all sorts of different ROMS and because I only half new what I was doing I got in a right mess. It gets quite addictive. I'm now back on a stock rom and although my phone is still rooted I plan to keep it that way.
Good luck with whatever you choose

Cheers

Gaz
 PPP 17 Feb 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Nice observation. My flatmates were laughing at me when they saw me trying to make my phone working at midnight so I could wake up at 5AM next morning. Once you get the idea what has to be done, it's easy and also, addictive.
OP The Lemming 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

> You've got to ask yourself are the problems you're getting that drastic?

One problem is quite drastic, and that is the battery, which drains exceptionally quickly. This has been a problem since the last official OTA update by ASUS in September and they have not issued any further updates. And I don't think that they ever will.

I am not alone with this issues as countless other people are in the same boat.

I'm slowly working my way through the learning curve and have installed Android SDK Manager onto my PC.

My problem now is that, when I connect my Tablet to the PC nothing happens. They do not talk to each other. My PC sees my phone and I can move files between them and I can connect devices to my Tablet and it works with them but for the life of me I can't get my Tablet to see my PC.

This is all a bit frustrating.

I have discovered a good battery tool to check for naughty apps that may be draining my device but I first need Root to use it. I may not have to venture from my Stock operating system but first I need Root to check things out.
 Gazlynn 18 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
Rooting is pretty staight forwards these days and as others have said look up your tablet model onA Developers website and follow instructions.

I would also look up your connection / usb issues on theA website too.

I have found this battery app great which I don't think requires root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en_GB

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 14:31
In reply to Gazlynn:

Thanks for the link. The app I had checked for wakelock but needed root.

As forA, I'm not getting any replies to my questions. I'm guessing that not that many people have my Tablet and that footfall is quite low for my questions.

I'll give this app a try.

Cheers
 Gazlynn 18 Feb 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

The app might even be more frustrating for you as you will be able to see what's eating your battery and maybe not be able to do anything about it!!

good luck with it

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 15:05
In reply to The Lemming:

Seems like either I am doomed never to root my device, or it can not be rooted. All advice and help has dried up onA Developers for my particular Tablet.

I will just have to live with what I have which is a bit of a bugger. I do have two bits of kit that are supported by CyanogenMod but seeing as they are playing nicely with Stock Android, I ain't messing with them.

And a big learning curve it all is, in that I will only buy Nexus, or what ever Google re-brand their products as in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...