UKC

Vinyl/cassette/CD/mp3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Which album have you owned across three or more formats, and does it still sound fresh/contemporary today?

For me

Love "Forever changes"

Pink Floyd "Dark side of the moon"

Damned "Machine Gun Etiquette"

(an odd one, but for me, it meets the spec)
 Glyno 16 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

...off the top of my head, I've probably had all pre-1985 Springsteen, Bowie and several Dylan on all above formats.

Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Have you really BOUGHT stuff on mp3 that you own on CD? Why not just rip the CD to mp3?

I own a fair amount on vinyl OR cassette, plus CD but nothing across three formats. The only mp3 albums I've bought were albums unavailable on any other format (plus I officially "own" some mp3 versions of stuff I bought on vinyl, via secure code downloads from the label, as they know people want stuff digitally)
August West 16 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Quite a few, usually bought on cassette during my youth, purchased on vinyl when I got a record player, and supplemented by the CD so I can listen to it in the car or do the whole album without getting up off the sofa.

Here are a few examples...

Talking Heads - Remain In Light
Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain
Billy Bragg - Talking With The Taxman About Poetry

Between my father and myself we seem to have six copies of Sketches In Spain!
 Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

"King" by Belly. Ltd. edition CD book thing at the time it came out. Second hand white vinyl. Second hand cassette. Second hand "normal" CD. Second hand second ltd. edition CD book thing.
But all that second hand stuff was cheap novelty "for the sake of it" kind of stuff.
I think I have All About Eve's first album on tape and twice on vinyl and I really should get it on CD. But again I think that's not in the spirit of the OP.

The closest would be Paul Simon's Graceland (cassette and vinyl, with CD to be bought some time soon except a lot of reviews whinge about the compression on the remastering so I got put off!)
andymac 16 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Crowded House -Woodface

Pure ,clean ,class.

Invested in a little Panasonic hi fi thingy which has transformed listening to any CD /I pod
 Tobes 16 Feb 2014
In reply to stroppygob: Hum, at last count I had four copies of The Cures Seventeen Seconds on vinyl, first press signed by the group of the time, another uk press with textured sleeve, a German second press and a New Zealand issue, plus a uk cassette and a German issue on CD. But have just remembered a record store day issue on white vinyl with official download code also.

I guess that's the set.

Though still looking out for a copy of the Japanese issue on vinyl (any one?!)

In reply to Blue Straggler:

That's why I asked " owned across three or more formats," not "bought". I had listed four formats; Vinyl/cassette/CD/mp3.
 Sharp 12 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
All on tape, vinyl and mp3

Dark Side of the Moon
Tapestry
Black and Blue (stones)
Electric Ladyland
some Zeppelin almums
Let it Be

My memory of what tapes I had is kind of fading, there's probably more than that, if you included home recorded tapes the list would expand dramatically. If you include minidiscs then that would bring the list way over 50 albums that I've had on 3 of tape, vinyl, mp3 and MD's. Not owned a CD in years, they're kind of cumbersome and rubbish imo
Post edited at 07:32
In reply to stroppygob: Mmm. I ripped all my CDs to both Apple Lossless and FLAC, but for the purposes I'll count electronic thingummies as just one format and CDs where I have both an original and a remastered version as one format too.. So off the top of my head...

Pink Floyd's Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch and Broadsword and the Beast.

Caravan's If I could do it all over again... and In The Land of Grey and Pink.

Camel's Snowgoose, A Live Record, Nude and Stationary Traveller.

Hawkwind's In Search Of Space, Hall of the Mountain Grill and Quark, Strangeness and Charm.

Tim Blake's New Jerusalem.

Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn.

The Horslips Book of Invasions.

Steve Hillage's Green and Fish Rising.

Kate Bush's The Dreaming and Hounds of Love.

AC/DC's Back in Black.

First album's by Enya and All About Eve (their names escape me at the moment).

The B52's Cosmic Thing.

REM's Automatic for the people and Out Of Time.

I'm sure there are albums by Roy Harper, Peter Hammill, Peter Gabriel, Jan Garbarek and probably a good many more too. I have something of a music habit...

T.

Blue Straggler 12 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> That's why I asked " owned across three or more formats," not "bought". I had listed four formats; Vinyl/cassette/CD/mp3.

Ok well then given that I have ripped a lot of my CDs to mp3, then I have loads because I have a good number of albums on both CD and vinyl. In some cases only one purchase was necessary (vinyl which comes with a use-once code for an mp3 or FLAC download then I burn a CD)
 Little Brew 12 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Jeff Waynes - War Of the Worlds - i have (via my Dad) the original Vinyl, Cd signed by Jeff Wayne (brother worked the tour) and an MP3 version of the New and Original to listen to in the car. Prefer the Original!
 Richard Carter 12 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I have the soundtrack to the film 'Topgun' on Cassette, CD and MP3 :-D
 graeme jackson 12 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Have quite a few on two formats - vinyl/cassette mostly from when I used to drive from northumberland to hertfordshire quite a lot. The only record I have on three formats is Yes' "Talk" which came out about the time I first bought a CD player but still had a cassette in the car. Don't listen to it that much nowadays. I only have a handful of albums on an Mp3 player to listen to at the gym.
 Clarence 12 Mar 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Bloody hell Pursued by a bear, are you me in a parallel universe? My list would be identical if it were not for Tim Blake, Enya and the B52s. I would substitute them with:

The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter - The Incredible String Band
Live Bursting Out - Jethro Tull
Sgt.Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Tantric Obstacles - Ozric Tentacles

Sgt.Pepper I have on cassette, vinyl, 8-track (US), minidisc (Japanese), CD and MP3. The 8-track and minidisc were in the bottom of a box bought at auction so I have never played them.
 crayefish 12 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

The only one I have owned across all four formats was Appetite for Destruction. Probably the greatest hard rock album ever. VERY few albums can claim to have every single song to be great. Most have at least one 'bad' or 'experimental' track.
contrariousjim 13 Mar 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

With orders in which the media was owned 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Pink Floyd - The Wall: Tape > CD (on 3rd copy) > LP
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti: LP> Tape> CD
Led Zeppelin - 2: LP > Tape > CD
Michael Jackson - Bad: Tape > CD > LP
Focus - Moving Waves: LP > CD > MP3 (lost the CD)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...