UKC

Time limit on collecting money for credit card purchases?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Foxache 17 Feb 2014

When you pay for something with a credit card, is there a time limit within which the company/person from whom you bought the goods/service must collect the payment?

I've just realised that payment for some fuel that I bought (sadly only a top-up rather than a fill-up) from a well-known petrol station chain a couple of months ago has never actually been taken from my account. I've got the receipt so know that I definitely paid for it with a certain card on a certain day. I can also see that purchases made from the same retailer before and since are showing up on the card statement so it should be on there.
Post edited at 13:12
In reply to Foxache:

> When you pay for something with a credit card, is there a time limit within which the company/person from whom you bought the goods/service must collect the payment?

As far as I am aware this comes under basic contract law so the time limit is six years plus the time for reasonable diligence discover of error or mistake.
abseil 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Foxache:

> When you pay for something with a credit card, is there a time limit...

I bet it varies from card to card.

I've had Amex payments not pop up for a couple of months... puzzling.

Anyway I'm guessing that sometimes vendors keep the slips in a drawer for a month or more before processing them.
OP Foxache 20 Feb 2014
6 years! :-o

That could be a nasty shock if it was something expensive and you'd not been very diligent with checking your statement.
 Trangia 20 Feb 2014
In reply to abseil:

>

> Anyway I'm guessing that sometimes vendors keep the slips in a drawer for a month or more before processing them.

Not Tesco! If they could I'd bet they'd process it the day before your purchase!

Having said that good cash flow is sound business sense.

Maybe the OP should do the honourable thing and remind them........?
 hamsforlegs 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Foxache:

I've always found petrol stations bad for this, in lots of different countries.

There's no real world time limit. Just annoying. I suppose the other way of looking at it is that you've been given credit by the petrol station at very favourable terms. Invest it quickly in something that will appreciate - food would be a good investment at the moment I think?
 ThunderCat 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Trangia:

> Maybe the OP should do the honourable thing and remind them........?

I lost my credit card in Manchester airport and didn't notice until I landed again in Bruges. Called the company and they cancelled the card.

Fine, except the last payment I made (shortly before I lost the card) has never shown up despite me calling up three times to tell them.

It's been three months, no sign of it yet.

It's odd, but when I call up and tell them, they treat me like I'm a bit strange for wanting to pay it...their opinion is 'just forget about it'.

Don't intend to call them about it again - three times seems like a reasonable amount of attempts.
In reply to Foxache:

> 6 years! :-o

> That could be a nasty shock if it was something expensive and you'd not been very diligent with checking your statement.

Yes but it would not work that way in reality as that will be outwith the validity of the card. If the petrol station are just slow, any "late" submission of the sale to the CC company will be subject to fraud checks before it would hit your statement and you will or should know about it first if very late!
 Banned User 77 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Foxache:

They are shit for this in Germany, it takes about a week often. The annoying thing is I can't have an overdraft so have to keep in mind what I've paid for over the past week when it gets low..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...