UKC

Running Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 18 Feb 2014

Been to a running shop and looking at buying some shoes. Couple of models they have recommended so just having a coffee while my wife tries on 84 billion pairs of shoes there :-|

There are basically two pairs of shoes that fit me well and are suitable for my running gait. Is there anything else I should care about? Or should I just pick one pair of the two look the best? One pair is 50g lighter, does that make a difference? I probably should have asked more questions in the shop but I hate shoe shopping and had to get out of there :-P

My old shoes (New Balance ones I got in a clearance sale for £15) didn't fit me and the sole fell off, so pretty much anything will be an improvement
Post edited at 10:41
 wbo 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Carter: If they both fit ok, feel ok and work for your gait you're down to subtle differences. Are there differences in how thick the uppers are as that will make a difference how hot cold they feel. Are there any seams in the uppers that might rub.

I'd also be looking for internet reviews on my phone to see if there are reports of bad wear

Which shoes are they?

The Potato 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

my experience is less is better, not going for fancy stability shoes, no gel etc.
Just get minimal shoes that are comfortable and have a tread suitable for the surface you want to run on (road trail fell etc)
Ive spent a fair bit on fancy shoes but the ones I enjoy running in most are NB minimus/inov-8 roclite, i get better times and have less soreness afterwards.
 Al Evans 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

I'm fairly certain that Ron Hill ran his 2.09 world record marathon in plimsolls.
 wbo 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Carter: He also had a rackload of minor injuries and complained about being sore all the time. Your point is....

I've got some japanese racing shoes from the 90's that are unbelievably light, but I wouldn't even consider training in them every day (tho' they did)

Get a shoes that works for you. That may well be a light shoe, or it may not.

Kirriemuir 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
Pheidippides used to run in Jesus sandals, and scoffed at the rather effete (he thought) notion of running in "fancy" plimsolls.Then he keeled over and died after a race...sore feet, allegedly.
Post edited at 11:52
In reply to wbo:

Ended up getting some 'Wave Rider 17' shoes. They seem ok.
Signal was rubbish on my phone to reply earlier.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...