UKC

Cinema tonight - What to see?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Right, have a once in a blue moon opportunity to go to the cinema with wife tonight as we have a baby sitter. ( I can't believe it has coincided with Man City Barcelona! Sods law) Not been for nearly two years so want to pick a good one.

Had a look and it's between

12 years a slave
Wolf of Wall Street
Dallas Buyers Club
American Hustle

I'm fancying WoWS but its 3 hours long and starts at 8pm...not sure I can stay awake. 2nd choice would be 12YaS. Lots of awards, is it great?
Know nothing about DBC but like Matt Maconnaughey. 4th choice American Hustle.

What would you pick?
 The Pylon King 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I went to see the Lego movie yesterday. That was quite good.
 The New NickB 18 Feb 2014
12 Years A Slave is stunning, but not always an easy watch. Heard it described as the best film I never want to see again, I can understand that view, although I probably will watch again.

I quite fancy seeing Dallas Buyers Club.

Post edited at 15:57
 Trangia 18 Feb 2014

Plus 1 for "12 years a slave" - Brilliant but hard to watch in parts, not for the faint hearted
In reply to The New NickB:

My NY colleague said almost exactly the same as you re 12 years a slave. Amazing but not easy. Think we will go for it, thx guys!
 ripper 18 Feb 2014

Not seen the others but 12years will certainly not disappoint - in terms of the brutality and depiction of the slave system is was no more shocking than I expected - depends how much you know about what went on and what you've seen before. The thing that made me most uneasy when watching was that it feels a bit wrong to 'enjoy' the superb acting and beautiful scenery/cinematography, given the subject matter
 rallymania 18 Feb 2014

comedy? Cuban Fury!
 wilkie14c 18 Feb 2014

+1 12 years.
WOWS is long as you say and basically just a decaprio romp glorifying drugs and sex. 5/10 IMO
 jezb1 18 Feb 2014

-12 years was boring
-WoWS does what it says on the tin but I'm a big Leo fan and I thought it was great. The seen on the steps of the country club was very, very funny. I like things based on true events as well. Although it's long it didn't drag at all for me.

Not seen the other 2 but DBC is on the to see list, trailers look good.
 lithos 18 Feb 2014

seen all of them

DBC is excellent if varied in pace.
12yaS is well good but as others said 'it's been emotional'
WOWS - very funny, but post film depressing for me (converts appalling behaviour to a cartoon)
AH - ok - best thing is working out how Amy avoids a wardrobe malfunction
ILD - meh, dull, flat.

if I were to see one again it'd defo be DBC.
 FreshSlate 18 Feb 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
> 12 Years A Slave is stunning, but not always an easy watch. Heard it described as the best film I never want to see again, I can understand that view, although I probably will watch again.

I found it fairly easy watching. Weird. There's much worse films for never wanting to see again. Let's start with requiem for a dream. Watch that and let me know how you get on.

Dallas Buyers Club is pretty good btw. The acting is excellent aside from Jennifer Garner, not a fan of edit: serious (loosely) based on true stories but it was still well worth a watch, good film. I don't consider 12 years a slave to be in this category btw as it is an adapted screen play if you get my drift.

Wolf of Wall street is hilarious, it's just a ride of a movie. Best comedy/dark comedy of the year?
Post edited at 17:15
 FreshSlate 18 Feb 2014
In reply to lithos:

What is ILD? It's a bit off to abreviate a film not discussed in the thread yet! Is it nominated for an oscar?
 lithos 18 Feb 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

sorry Inside llyweyn Davis - Cohen Bros film
 FreshSlate 18 Feb 2014
In reply to lithos:

Thanks.
 Blue Straggler 18 Feb 2014

>
> 12 years a slave

> Wolf of Wall Street

> American Hustle

I am too late for this but, out of those three, I found The Wolf of Wall Street to be the best by a not insignificant stretch. 12 Years A Slave felt a bit too much like doing homework at school, and American Hustle was just all over the place and felt way too long (whereas the 3 hours of The Wolf of Wall Street zipped by quite pleasantly). They are all quality films, mind you, and worth it for the performances if nothing else

Today I went to see The Lego Movie which was, quite seriously, better than all of those!
 Tyler 18 Feb 2014

Obviously it's too late but hopefully I can spare others the misery of going to see 12 Years a Slave by pointing out that as a film is has little merit.
 Phil1919 18 Feb 2014
In reply to lithos:

I really liked the Coen Brothers film ILD. I thought 12 years a slave was a bit predictable. I also liked The Railway Man a lot.
 lithos 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

yeah i liked Railway Man (RM we need to call it though if you want someone to play Gina McKee why not hire her ?

agree 12YAS was predictable but well done i thought. some people I was with were very upset by it, I thought RM more upsetting.
 Blue Straggler 18 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil1919:

> I thought 12 years a slave was a bit predictable.

Well yes, the entire story is right there in the title, like "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing" and "Digby, The Biggest Dog in the World"
 Blue Straggler 25 Feb 2014
In reply to thread:

Just back from Dallas Buyers' Club.

It was boring. Everything you need is in the trailer apart from Jared Leto's great performance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...