UKC

women characters in games

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tlm 19 Feb 2014
Do any of you blokes ever choose to play any games as a female character?

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/17/deep-down-the-rabbit-hole-of-ingrained-game...
 Gazlynn 19 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

Doesn't matter much to me.

Loved Tomb Raider on the PS3 recently.

cheers

Gaz
 The Potato 19 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

whenever possible yes as they usually have massively exaggerated boobages
 nufkin 19 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

> Do any of you blokes ever choose to play any games as a female character?

Do you mean where you get a choice, or where the game features a specifically female character?

For the former I can only think of Street Fighter, Tekken etc off the top of my head, which probably supports the point of your link.
For the latter, Oni, Perfect Dark and Beyond Good and Evil (?) all come to mind as good games having a woman as the main playable character, and not stereotypically 'game' women either as alluded to by ow arm above.
 The Potato 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

other examples are neverwinter nights, diablo, streets of rage,
might of magic etc
 cfer 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

Most of my Squad on COD Ghosts is female...No idea why just defaulted that way and dont see any reason to change them
 Steve Perry 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

I played Golden Axe (megadrive) as all 3 characters, one of which was a woman.
 El Pato 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

Yes, regularly. Many (most?) games, you don't get to choose, but I do prefer playing as a female character when I can. No idea why.
Graeme G 20 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> whenever possible yes as they usually have massively exaggerated boobages

You need to have more dates. I loved Tomb Raider on my xbox as it reminded me of Mrs Furlong in her youth.
 Thrudge 20 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:
> whenever possible yes as they usually have massively exaggerated boobages

So seeing instead of a gun waving about in front of you as you jog along, you can see.... Oh wow, I can't wait to get home!
 skog 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

Hmm. Several different issues here.

> Do any of you blokes ever choose to play any games as a female character?

Yes. I sometimes play games where I choose to play as a female character. Also, I sometimes choose to play games where the main character is female, and there is no choice.

Of course, I'll also choose to play characters that are not white, not middle aged, don't climb or hillwalk, don't work in IT, don't have a defined gender, don't share my moral code, or are not even human. Part of the fun of gaming is escapism; playing as someone else is an obvious part of that. So, I think your linked article misses the point in a number of ways.

Is there institutionalised sexism, in society and in gaming? Yes, of course.

Does one particular game having the same gender for all its player characters demonstrate this? No.

There's no particular reason why players have to or necessarily want to play as their own gender, and even if they do it's just one game. All it really shows is that this game is targeted at people who want to play those characters; if anything, it's sexist to assume women won't.

The author has made a very poor argument for what may well be a very good point!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...