UKC

Glencoe conditions advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tennantbell 20 Feb 2014
Hi all,

I know there's been a bit of a hoo-ha recently regarding winter condition threads however a friend and I are heading up to glencoe this weekend with the *hope* of getting some routes in. Hopefully including Aonach Eagach. Can any one advise on how likely this is with the currently weather conditions up there? We're way down in the south!

Thanks in advance.
 Jamie B 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tennantbell:

Plenty of snow still on the Aonach Eagach, but forecast a bit windy for the weekend.
Glen Staniforth 20 Feb 2014
In reply to tennantbell:

Same as us, we are going up tomorrow for the weekend with the same plan, if anyone has been on anything in condition in the Glencoe area please post.

clachaig inn is always in condition if not.

Glen
 bowls 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Glen Staniforth:

We were up in the mamores today. Wind very bad on summit ridges, at the time I said "I wouldn't want to be on the Aonach Eagach. Winds set to be as bad if not worse in coming few days. Although it is slightly lower and is somewhat protected from westerlies. Temp dropping in glen coe this eve so things should firm up
 Jamie B 22 Feb 2014
In reply to tennantbell:

Up at Stob Coire nan Lochan today. Lots of snow, most of it soft and unstable (some evidence of recent avalanche activity). Buttresses looking a bit black with temps rising; some photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.225488100988283.1073741844.189398...
 KA 22 Feb 2014
In reply to tennantbell:

I was on School House Ridge above Ballachulish today, which was soft, but reasonably well sheltered and safe.

http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2014/02/22/mountaineering-school-house...
 Billhook 22 Feb 2014
In reply to tennantbell:

But don't let anything on here put yourselves off doing Aonachg Eagach. Can be done in most conditions.
OP tennantbell 22 Feb 2014
Cheers all. Managed to do dorsal arête today after deciding not to do Aonach is the forecast wind. Very heavily loaded dorsal arête but a good day non the less.
 Jamie B 22 Feb 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

> But don't let anything on here put yourselves off doing Aonach Eagach. Can be done in most conditions.

Yes, but with tomorrow's winds it'll be desperate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...