UKC

Braeraich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rodw 20 Feb 2014
Heading up to Glenmore lodge for a few days next week intend doing Ben Macdui via Fiiacaill ridge has anyone a safe suggestion for Braeraich around grade II
Rod
In reply to rodw:

Depends more on the conditions which are changing each day. You're best to wait til you get here as theres still a lot of snow and big cornices around. Not much has been climbed in the low grades recently.
 kwoods 20 Feb 2014
In reply to rodw:

Can't help you out with specific routes, but the Coire Bhrochain routes are south facing which on the avalanche forecast are consistently doing well. On the other hand I've heard the Cairngorm routes are a bit of a waste of time atm without a thaw. Snorkel needed I'd think. Weather in that area seems a bit more stable than the west coast right now thus perhaps the snowpack will stay good. (although it's DEEP)
 Mark Bull 20 Feb 2014
In reply to rodw:

I would guess the routes in the coires all have giant cornices at the moment. The NE ridge of Sgurr an Lochain Uaine (a.k.a. Angels' Ridge) at Grade I might be an option: a long walk but you could maybe get away without carrying much gear.

There are a couple of Grade II ridges on Sron na Lairig (Lairig Rib, Neon Ridge) which might be worth a look if the approach slopes are not avalanchy.
 girlymonkey 20 Feb 2014
In reply to rodw:

The avalanche forecast for tomorrow is looking good for the Gorms, looks like cornices have probably come down. That's not to say there will be no cornices next week mind you!! At the moment though S and SW are looking uber safe according to forecast. Obviously you still need to check when there though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...