UKC

Why has winter moved

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 20 Feb 2014
I remember snow at xmas, freezing in december through January, bt winter gets later and later, why?
In reply to Dominicandave: Put simply, it's because your memory is partial and selective.

T.
 Bulls Crack 20 Feb 2014
In reply to Dominicandave:

I think you'll find that Spring is getting earlier
 The Potato 20 Feb 2014

everything is impermanent, our existance is but fleeting
 Timmd 20 Feb 2014
In reply to ow arm:

That, and climate change?
 Timmd 20 Feb 2014

The seasons have become a bit less uniform, I agree.

We had a really cold summer the summer before last, and then the following or preceding January to that (I forget which) I was sitting outside without a fleece on while eating lunch and chatting about the weather being unseasonably warm.
 Timmd 20 Feb 2014

In late autumn and winter my mouth always used to go numb when walking from the bus stop to The Foundry during the 90s.

You try saying three with a numb mouth. ()
 Brass Nipples 20 Feb 2014

It isn't getting later, temps are pretty much the norm and white Christmases are rare unless you live on top of a Scottish peak.
abseil 21 Feb 2014

I don't remember snow at Xmas in the 50's, 60's, or 70's.*

Maybe its* because I drink alcohol while Im* climbing (this is a clever link to another thread).

*Apostrophes placed/omitted just to annoy UKC pedants (Wait a minute! I'm one of them!)
 girlymonkey 21 Feb 2014

I have always been struck by the lyrics of White Christmas. A very old song, singing about white Christmas, 'just like the ones I used to know'. Nostalgia rather than reality?
 Yanis Nayu 21 Feb 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

He lived in Lapland...
In reply to girlymonkey:

White Christmas was written by Irving Berlin, in New York, where Snow at Christmas is commonplace.

"The song White Christmas is undoubtedly the most famous and popular of all the Christmas songs. The music and lyrics for White Christmas were written in 1942 and originally featured in the movie Holiday Inn starring Bing Crosby. The lyrics of White Christmas struck a chord with the soldiers fighting in the Second World War and their families who were waiting for them back home. "

-- shamelessly lifted from t'interweb.
In reply to girlymonkey:

In my whole life (I'm 64 now) I can only remember it snowing once for about half an hour on Christmas Day. And I've lived in quite snowy places, mostly the Chilterns in Hertfordshire and the southern Peak in Derbyshire.
 Timmd 21 Feb 2014
In reply to Timmd:
> In late autumn and winter my mouth always used to go numb when walking from the bus stop to The Foundry during the 90s.

> You try saying three with a numb mouth. ()

I actually ment four...
Post edited at 18:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...