UKC

How to resign?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mwr72 24 Feb 2014
I may have been successful in a position that I have applied for, I will hopefully be notified either way today but it does sound promising(The MD is a busy man).

I will, if successful, have to give notice to my current employer. I have never had to hand in a resignation letter before. How are these things worded? The company have been relatively good with me so I don't want to be burning any bridges, so something polite?

Any help/tips gratefully received.
In reply to mwr72: " I don't want to be burning any bridges "

In that case, i wouldn't go for the Zinedine Zidane approach
 Banned User 77 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:

Just do it in person, then say you will formally notify HR..
 GrahamD 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:

Keep it short and to the point.

You just write that you wish to tender your resignation from whatever date. If you are on any notice period that you want to be released from say that you would appreciate being released early. You don't need to elaborate but if you want to add "to pursue career interests elsewhere" do that.

If they want more information (or even as a matter of routine) they will hold an exit interview
KevinD 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:

keep the formal letter simple.
I am resigning as of such a date.

Then tell your boss personally as well.
 Billhook 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:

Legally you don't have to hand in your notice in writing, verbally will do, but you should give the amount of notice you are required to do in your contract. Most companies will ask for it in writing, 'just to make sure' sort of thing.

Legally though there isn't much the company can do if, your new employer wishes to start you before you can complete your notice period for the previous employer.

All you need say is something along the lines of:-

"I'm writing to inform you that I have obtained a new position. This is to give you one calendar month's notice, as per my contract, that my last day of work will be on the 24th of March.

I have enjoyed very much working at JJ Roofing especially my time in the bedding department.........etc., "
andic 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:
As above something formal and impersonal to HR and a chat to your line management (straight after the letter/email was sent so as not to offend) with a bit more detail and discuss your reference, I presume you will want a reference?

Have you checked your notice period by the way?
Post edited at 16:05
 JoshOvki 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:

Just post on here, Skol reads the forums...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=579255
OP mwr72 24 Feb 2014
In reply to andic:

Only one week notice is required. I'm currently on the sick due to an accident at work, but the new employer is comfortable that I could, if successful, start immediately after I'm signed off which will be 1.5 weeks.

In reply to All:

Thank you for the advice/tips.
 Skyfall 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:
As said above, I have always told my boss personally and, after the conversation, handed him/her a very short letter setting out the fact that I am resigning as of today's date subject to whatever notice period is required or otherwise agreed between you.

I think it would be normal, unless you felt otherwise, to say something brief about having enjoyed your time with the company. Personally, I wouldn't say anything more in that letter - which will go on your HR file.

Whatever you say to your boss is less formal though probably more important and may be remembered/forgotten etc. I recall one particular instance where I handed my notice in to move up to the Lakes to work/climb and my then boss said I'd get bored and he'd call me in a year and he'd be very happy for me to come back. That's pretty much what happened, sadly perhaps.

Nowadays I'd have to write to myself, which makes resigning oddly more difficult. I've thought about it though!
Post edited at 16:27
 Little Brew 24 Feb 2014
In reply to mwr72:

Handed mine in today - for August... don't ask! but i chatted to the boss and then a formal e-mail to HR and both boss' stating my end date and requesting the number of holidays i am entitled to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...