UKC

Lens Micro Adjustment on Canon 70D - Success

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisJD 24 Feb 2014
Sorted the focusing issues on my 24-105mm using this (free) approach.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjust...

Live View (Dual Pixel CMOS AF) was nailing focus (you can't micro-adjust that system), standard auto focus was way out on the lens.

Now awesome in standard AF - like having a brand new sharp lens!

The 70D allows adjustment at Wide and Tele ends of zoom.
 Skyfall 24 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

This is the one thing really hacking me off with the 60D ie. you can't micro adjust. My 24-105 seems slightly out too, get patchy results which i think may be down to the AF. Funny that.
 brigsy 24 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Ta. Saved article for later.
 CrushUnit 25 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

As someone with a 70d and a new lens in the post, this might come in handy!
 Richard Carter 25 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Micro-adjustments are great because it saves the camera companies time and money calibrating it correctly in the first place :-P The only issue I have with it is that some lenses require different adjustments depending on focal distance and or focal length. It amazes me that no camera maker yet has auto calibration. It could use contrast detection AF to get a precise adjustment figure, then it would just save that for that particular lens. At least you should have the ability to enter a range of values on a sliding scale for zooms.

I gave up on Nikon because of phase detection AF issues (when the D800 and D4 came out and you had to be super super lucky to get a decent one) - the sooner PDAF is replaced the better
OP ChrisJD 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

The 70D can do Microadjustment for each lens and gives options for different settings at wide and tele ends on zooms.

On my 24-105, the adjustment amount ended up being the same for both wide and tele.
mat123 25 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:
doesn't Canon guarantee include one free micro-calibration for all Canon lenses? You send them the body and the lens and they make the adjustments for you, no need to mess around with microadjustment which will never be as accurate.
I got my 24-105 calibrated to my 6D body and the results were fantastic.
Post edited at 12:06
OP ChrisJD 25 Feb 2014
In reply to mat123:

> o need to mess around with microadjustment which will never be as accurate.

seems to be pretty damn good to me

CrushUnit 25 Feb 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

Just tried this on my 70d and new sigma 17-50 which arrived today, Sigma was spot on which is good to know.
 Hannes 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

> It amazes me that no camera maker yet has auto calibration. It could use contrast detection AF to get a precise adjustment figure, then it would just save that for that particular lens.

Not canon per se but reikan focal sounds like what you are after

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...