UKC

If this route was a food...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 26 Feb 2014
Over on the HVS thread, the following discussion ensued:

> Riders on the storm at Pembroke and Joint Effort at Staden quarry are the stand outs for me

> > That's a bit like saying "my two favourite foods are lobster thermidor and turkey twizzlers". Not wrong as such, just odd!

> > > Which is which? More like candy floss and a nice pasty. In that order.

Now we've got pasties on the table, I do feel that comparing a good route at the pleasant-enough Staden Quarry to turkey twizzlers (which I haven't actually tried) was a bit unfair. In retrospect I'm happy to compromise at a rather ordinary pasty for Joint Effort - a really good pasty (plenty of lean meat filling and good quality pastry) would be something more like The Arrow.

Now, if Chequers Crack was a food, it would have to be some cheap, tough-as-old-boots but quite tasty sirloin steak with a fair amount of fat and a big grissly lump, served with oven chips and gravy (from granules). Rubbish really, but satisfying enough if you're really hungry.

Whereas Daibaig Pillar would be fresh seabass fillet, gently steamed and served with just new potatoes and green salad.

Does anyone care to join in this absolutely pointless game?
 james.slater 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Silly arete at Tremadog would be a classic victoria sponge. Exquisitely formed, fluffy and sweet, with a jammy section in the middle. All topped off with butterscotch icing.

Something like that!
 Bulls Crack 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

3PS would be an over-egged quiche
 Cake 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Crescent arête is an artichoke. Intimidating at first, but simple and irresistible once you've tried it.
OP Jon Stewart 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> 3PS would be an over-egged quiche

Bravo!
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Megalithic Man at Horseshoe Quarry is like the luke warm vegetable lasagne you might get at a really bad motorway service station canteen simply because it looked like the safest, least disgusting dish available. And then you found yourself actually quite enjoying it, in spite of the nagging sadness caused by the grim surroundings and the fact that you really wanted to be at home, eating something decent you'd cooked yourself.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Great Western: Salmon Mousse. A classic, but rather contrived dish that's intended to be impressive but really isn't very good at all.

Suicide Wall: A big portion of delicious Steak and Ale Pie (the good sort from a big tray, not the little pot with pastry top type). Hearty and satisfying, can be a struggle to finish the whole thing. Always a treat no matter how many times you've had it before.
 Choss 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Bottle buttress routes at wintours Leap = pavement pizza. Feel like they were just randomly Spewed out (in my humble Opinion that is)
 gethin_allen 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I don't think any routes at Staten should be covered on the best hvs list, just because people can't go and try them to compare.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...