UKC

Mystery object amid the chromosomes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thrudge 27 Feb 2014
In 1986, Nature magazine published a letter from a hospital genetics dept:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101939326898768169409/20140227

This isn't a spoof - I dug the original paper copy of the magazine out of the library archive; the link above is my scan of it. The writers of the letter are legit, and the letter is referenced in Pubmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3762679

So.... what is that thing? It certainly looks like a manufactured as opposed to a natural structure.

(BTW, amniocentesis is the process of extracting fluid from around an embryo. It's used to test for genetic conditions, e.g Downs).

I'm off to the bunker to wait for the alien apocalypse. Talk amongst yourselves.
cb294 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

No idea, but it looks cool...

Miscalculation in scale as per Douglas Adams, where the alien war fleet gets eaten by a dog?

BC
 Dave Garnett 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Sadly, a boringly plausible explanation was suggested a year later...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3808028?report=abstract

Click on the 'Nature' box top right. For some reason I can't include the address of the actual page.
 toad 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Dave Garnett:

logged in at work? It's paywalled. I can't see it without a uni log in

Care to summarise, or was it really God stuck on 14 across
OP Thrudge 27 Feb 2014
I haven't got a Nature account. Any chance you could copy the text into here, please? Or summarise, if that's not legal.
 Dave Garnett 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

It says that such artefacts are not uncommon and perhaps 5% of the population show signs of cybernetic improvement, presumably as a result of intervention by another species, although it's not clear how recently in evolutionary history this occurred.

crayefish 27 Feb 2014

> It says that such artefacts are not uncommon and perhaps 5% of the population show signs of cybernetic improvement, presumably as a result of intervention by another species, although it's not clear how recently in evolutionary history this occurred.

Surely everyone remembers their first probing?
contrariousjim 27 Feb 2014

What does it actually represent? I've done loads of spreads (hypotonic KCl followed by acetic acid methanol 1:3 fixation) and never seen something like this. Curious.
 Dave Garnett 27 Feb 2014
In reply to toad and Tony Naylor:
No, not really. It says that it's probably a bit of polymethylmethacrylate mask from chip manufacture. Normally this is dissolved completely after etching but sometimes a bit comes off and floats off in the dust and could end up anywhere. The blank black squares are caused by random air bubbles in some of the holes (which are originally created by positive relief electron beam lithography (a well-known Vogon technology).
Post edited at 17:40
 toad 27 Feb 2014

I like your first answer better. Science is so boring
OP Thrudge 27 Feb 2014
Cheers, Dave, much appreciated. Still a bit put out by the lack of alien apocalypse, though
 John H Bull 27 Feb 2014

Nonsense - clearly the intracellular parasite Sausolinc phagopacbotus has infected the dividing cell.
 gethin_allen 27 Feb 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Surely any sensible person would just think they had some crap on the slide and would prep a new one.
 Dave Garnett 27 Feb 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to Tony Naylor)
>
> Surely any sensible person would just think they had some crap on the slide and would prep a new one.

Sure; some alien nanotech crap though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...