UKC

upper body strength and ultras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclue 28 Feb 2014
Is there any benefit to running ultras if you improve your upper body strength?

If so is it just a case of doing press ups?

Marek 28 Feb 2014
In reply to notaclue:
> Is there any benefit to running ultras if you improve your upper body strength?
>
> If so is it just a case of doing press ups?

Yes (perhaps) and no. In that order.
A weak core will not react well to lots of shaking around and pounding and you're more likely to get back/hip problems.
Press ups are about the more useless thing I can think of in this case. Focus more on the hips and trunk.
 StefanB 28 Feb 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Of course there is a benefit to upper body strength. Stops you from doubling over when you get tired. As Marek says, core is important. For running with a pack shoulders are also important. Press ups are one of many exercises, but not much use on their own.
Isolating muscles body builder style is also not a good idea.
I do Yoga for static core stuff, which can be a surprisingly tough strength workout, and more explosive body weight exercises in tabata interval style.
I also have a fitball to do all sorts of stability stuff on, but have to admit to being a bit lazy with it and not getting on it recently. Press ups with the legs on the fitball for example would be much more useful than traditional press ups.
In reply to Marek:

Hmm i'm pretty sure you use your hips and trunk with a push-up. Just as you would with the plank. The humble push-up and all its many variations is probably one of the best exercises you can do.

As for ultras i've only ever gone beyond 26 miles once (30 miler) but gains in strength without gaining too much mass will only help get you through most things. For me i found having a strong back gave me a more powerful rear arm drive that i felt pushed me forward faster, if you know what i mean.
 Doghouse 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

Have to agree, doinf press ups correctly definately engages the core.
 StefanB 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Doghouse:

> Have to agree, doinf press ups correctly definately engages the core.

I does, but it's just one of many exercises and there a better ones for runners.
In reply to notaclue:

Steph Howe wrote an interesting article on this subject on irunfar.com, have a look at it.
 Banned User 77 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Doghouse:

yeah but you can do just core.. I'd not be too concerned with the arms at all, core for sure. various plank exercises. But I do think general trail/mountain running works your core anyway.
 nw 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Marek:
Spoken by someone who hasn't got much experience of (proper)pressups.
Post edited at 09:43
In reply to IainRUK:

I am always baffled when people talk of the 'core'? What does this mean? The whole body is interconnected. Various plank exercises are great but they involve the arms, shoulders, hips, glutes, legs, calfs, triceps, lats, feet, neck, back and a whole lot of other muscles that i cannot pronounce. Oh yeah, and the abs. With this being a 'climbing' forum shouldn't people with leanings toward running still want to keep utilising their arms! Don't you use your arms to run?
 Banned User 77 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

It depends.. to sprint your arms are important. The longer the distance the more you want to minimise effort. If you watch an elite marathon runner their upper body is often much more stationary.

You want strong everywhere, just minimal bulk. Heavy arms are a waste for a long distance runner.
 StefanB 05 Mar 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> You want strong everywhere, just minimal bulk. Heavy arms are a waste for a long distance runner.

There is a misconception that being strong involves bulking up. Yes, muscles can grow quickly if stimulated in a certain way, but there is a huge neuro-muscular component, i.e. getting fibres to fire correctly.
That's why the functional dynamic stuff is good and also high weight low rep lifting that involves the whole body.
 Banned User 77 05 Mar 2014
In reply to StefanB:

yeah, but I found since dropping climbing I've lost upper body bulk which has helped. Its a fine balance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...