UKC

A question for the motorbike gurus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jerry67 02 Mar 2014
I need to get a bike for September for a 50 mile round trip commute. The journey is a mixture of the M3, A and B roads. It might get occasional use for longer trips to go climbing. Budget is upto £4,000.
So, what do you recommend? I'm currently looking at Tigers, F600s, F800s and Transalps.
I'm also a bit confused about chains versus the sort of rubber band things - which need less maintenance?
Over to you...
 KTC 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

Chains need the most maintenance.

The absolutely most cost efficient way of doing a 50 mile commute on major roads every day for a couple of years is a second-hand CB500. Really cheap to run, self maintainable, bombproof.

Not as much fun as a fireblade, though.
 deepsoup 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:
Belts are relatively maintenance free, just check the tension once in a while and replace it when it's worn out.

If you want a decent lifetime out of a chain you need to wash & lube it very regularly. If you're not self-disciplined enough to be lubing it more or less constantly (I find I'm too lazy and/or life is too short), a Scottoiler would be a good investment.

I have a Tiger 955i and it's great for longer trips. I don't commute though (and these days I'm the kind of fair-weather rider I used to inwardly sneer at). I suspect you'd want something more economical to run for the daily schlep.
adam11 02 Mar 2014
I've got 7 Buells with kevlar belt drive, and when tensioned correctly have been 100% reliable - and may be more efficient than chain.
However, I've also got several other bikes with chain (incl a 183 rwhp Ducati track bike), and properly maintained chains have been reliable too. With the bikes you mention there should be no issues. Depending on how you ride tyre wear will be more of an issue. If you're aggressive with a heavy bike like the Tiger, you'll want soft sporty tyres and these expensive little critters (about £300 a pair) can be worn out in 1k miles. If it's a gentle plod with touring tyres wear could be in the 7-8k miles region.
For £4k, you'll get a good example of any of those bikes (probably a nearly new Transalp, which have the reputation of being bomb proof) You could also get a good 600 Jap IL4 for that money - they are also reliable, tourable and blindingly quick if you wish.
The only downside to chains is that they're noisy (lost power)if you're used to belts or shafts, and can break if not not maintained and this can flail the motor to death.

sleavesley 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:
I would go for the F800 although would also look at the VFR800 - trying to get one around budget - seen one in Wigan just over on autotrader, 2008 6750 miles which is nothing, a very nice bike and good reliability.

Used to do a 70 mile round trip on A and B roads, but used a YZF600 Thundercat for that which was quite good fun on the roads in question.
Having ridden a few bikes (and a few BMW's) I would probably go with the F800 with the panniers for reliability, comfort and flexability, with the a few added extras (heated grips for sure).

As Adam as mentioned tyres can add up - I forgot about that, but a rear could be wrecked at 1500 miles. Used to get through two rears to one front. Trying to remember what I had, but think Michelin Pilots were tyres I liked for one reason or another. Didn't really rate the Bridgestones which everyone else seemed to rave on about (think they were quite expensive and they didn't seem to last long either).
Post edited at 11:14
adam11 02 Mar 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

BMW twins are good for commuting and can be lively for a twin (Husquavarna use the same enlarged motor in their superb Nuda) There have been issues with the stator burning out in this Rotax designed motor. There are esay ways of increasing the cooling oil flow over the stator - but if it's already burned then you're just shutting the stable door.
I don't know much about Jap bikes, but didn't early VFRs have chocolate cams?
 sleavesley 02 Mar 2014
In reply to adam11:

Not sure about how early you are talking, although the VTEC bike from 2002 had issues with its power delivery being too abrupt at 6,800rpm, but post 2006 this was changed so that the 4 valves per cyclinder came in at 6,400rpm with 2 valves being used when it drops below 6,100. I rode one prior to this and can't say it was an issue for me.
They hold their price well too, like the BMW but is a bit more frisky!

The BMW I liked the most was the K1300 - although I wouldn't class this as a commuter! Also had a ride on a K1400GT which was lovely - great for the pillion too. Although again not really a commuting bike unless its to Europe and back!
 Martin W 02 Mar 2014
In reply to adam11:

> I don't know much about Jap bikes, but didn't early VFRs have chocolate cams?

Nope, that was the VFs. The VFR was when they got the cams right (as well as being gear driven rather than chain, producing a rather nice turbine-like gear whine).

Bear in mind that the VFR750 was launched in 1986, so the "chocolate cams" era ended nearly 30 years ago. Some people love to trot out a bad story, though, no matter how old.
 woolsack 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Martin W:
Some people love to trot out a bad story, though, no matter how old.

Odd that you never hear any Skoda jokes on UKC
 LastBoyScout 02 Mar 2014
In reply to sleavesley:
> Used to do a 70 mile round trip on A and B roads, but used a YZF600 Thundercat for that which was quite good fun on the roads in question.

I always wanted a Thundercat - I've ridden 2, the first was overpriced in a dealers, the second one belonged to a colleague who knew I was interested but sold it to a dealers for a pittance when I was on holiday. Bastard!

OP - early model SV650/650S might be a good bet? I've got the S version, it's been bombproof - another colleague commutes on one year round.
Post edited at 16:52
 Ian65 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

Given the description of your expected riding I am wondering why you are looking at Enduro style bikes at all. Unless you plan to go 'a bit gravelly' at some point then I would stick to a straight forward road bike.

£4K will buy you a lot of bike, so you will have plenty to choose from. Personally I would avoid anything a bit exotic (Ducati, Harley etc) simply because of the servicing costs, parts etc. The Japanese are really hard to beat, and in-line engines givne a very nice ride. Having said that VFRs are pretty brilliant, and the Triumph 675 seems good as well (though I've never ridden one).

Like cars, most bikes these days offer quality, reliable travelling. I think your best bet would be to get a few test rides and see which bike fits you and your style of riding. 'Suits you sir' is a great line and carries some truth - there is a world of differnce between a Blade and a Tiger.

Happy hunting...

Martin W 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Ian65: I agree that an enduro-tyle bike can be a bit of a trial on the motorway, but for some A and B roads - especially in the state that many of them are in these days - they can be very effective, especially. For commuting in traffic, the higher riding position gives advantages both in visibility ie being able to see over traffic, and in conspicuity ie been seen by the traffic.

When I lived in London my favourite commuting bike was my Aprilia Pegaso - the punchy five-valve 650 single combined with the bike's manoeuvrability made it great for blatting along in and between traffic. It also liked to pick the front wheel up when making a smart getaway from the lights. ("Nothing to do with me, officer, the bike just does that…")
adamtc 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Ian65:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a faired 1200 Bandit.

You can pick them up really cheap, they go like stink, bit agricultural but can be a load of fun. Easy to work on, loads of after market add-ons etc. Certainly worth a look.
 thin bob 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

how much M3? And how much non-commuting stuff do you plan to do?
Reason being, I'd think quite hard about a scooter-style bike. fuel economy/ weather protection / tyres win?
 DreadyCraig 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

Got to agree that a good commuter isn't necessary a fun bike. As mentioned a CB500 will get you to and from work.
Personally I have a Suzuki DL650 V-strom. nice enough to commute on, although I am a fair weather bike commuter, but in my defence I do still ride all year round. It's also a fun motor to enjoy riding for ridings sake.
My brother in-law used to commute from Farnborough to Crawley almost everyday, year round, on his Suzuki SV1000, great bike.
Have a look on http://www.visordown.com/learners/visordowns-five-most-underrated-commuters...
chad halfwit 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

was commuting 160 miles a day on a faried 600 bandit a few years ago, was bearable till i stacked it and bust my left ankle, bought a transalp, thought i would hate it but it would be comfortable, less gear changing and what not, i loved it and would leave the GSXR at home unless i was out for a thrash. chains are a pain in the arse but easier than belts to change (no swing arm removal) just need to look after them, keep em clean and lubed, scott oilers are well worth fitting! been off two wheels for a few years since an off road accident but if and when i get back, the transalp will definitely be the first ting i will look at.
 tintinandpip 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:
No one has mentioned shaft drives ? Or service intervals ? I've had mainly shaft driven bikes as you don't need to pay for new chains and sprockets ( more expensive than you may think) but most importantly they are maintainence free important when you use it daily( apart from an oil change every 20 - 30 K.)
In terms of performance they add weight to the bike but are generally only fitted to larger capacity bikes such as sport tourers and full tourers.
So whilst the BMW F800GS may look more economical on paper the overall running costs of the bigger shaft driven GS 1150 or 1200 may actually be cheaper ? The tiger 800s are thirsty. The Tiger 955 ( I used to ride alot with someone who had one) is very economical and many are fitted with lots of extras that are essential for touring, a good commuter.
I have a BMW K1200s picture on my UKC pictures which is more economical than the GS 1150 i had before, it uses tyres at the same rate and same price as the GS and servicing costs are the same ( a bit more ), however it is awesome to ride and eats miles like no other bike I've ever had.
The message being don't automaticlly assume that larger capacity bikes which are easier and more fun to ride will be any more expensive to run. Somtimes the sensible option can become a bit mundane after a few months, buy a bigger faster bike, you dont have to ride them flat out all the time !!
Post edited at 16:03
In reply to Jerry67:

I'll weigh in on this one.

some good points so far.

Yes shaft drives can be more economical on the maintenance side but normally fitted on bigger bikes.

Bigger bikes aren't always better, but neither are smaller ones. It depends how and where you want to ride.

An off road/enduro/adventure bike will have a more upright seating position that is better for the back, wrists and shoulders but get a lot of wind blast.

You can bike up a cb/cbf500 cheap as chips or a hornet or an er6 f or otherwise. Hyosung did a 650 twin road bike that is nice but be sure to look at ones made after 2004 as there were quality issues before that.

If you think you can get away with a small bike don't discount Chinese one *prepares to get flamed for that comment* but I had one, it was cheap and hard as nails.

Bikes are a totally personal choice, you need to test ride a few and be prepared to sell the first one you get once you figure out you want something different.

I used to commute year round on a bike, and still would if i didn't have a company car, and i ride a cbf500 its not the most fun bike in the world but its dressed up for touring and has never missed a beat.
 Andrew Wilson 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

I had a CBF1000 as a courtesy bike a couple of years ago, whilst my knocked over RSV was being repaired. It was great for commuting, much better riding position, manoeuvrability, visibility. Not very good ground clearance though, noticed as the footrest grazed the Tarmac on the roundabout at the top of the M606.
OP Jerry67 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

Thanks a lot for all the replies and words of wisdom. I think I now need to go and try a few things and get a feel for the bikes. I'll be based in Bramley near Guildford where there is a Triumph dealer, so will probably start there.
Can anyone recommend good bike shops in that area?
Cheers,
Jeremy
 Horse 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

While you are at the Triumph place have a look at the Sprint ST. I have used one for commuting and longer journeys. So happens I have one for sale within you budget, if you might be interested I can send you more details.
 sleavesley 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Horse:

^
Nice bike & well worth the look.
Both the 1050 and the older 955
 DreadyCraig 04 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:
Bike Shops, A 20 min journey from Bramley, you should go to Infinity Motorcycles in Northcamp (between Aldershot and Farnborough, just off the A331) you can then walk to Hein Kericke which is just down the road. If you need accessories, you can drive another 5/10 mins north up the A331 to Infinity's clearance store in Camberley.
I would also highly recommend "Normandy motorcycles" if you are in the area http://www.normandymotorcycles.co.uk/ they are my local motorbike shop and jolly good blokes! They only have a handfull of bikes but are a proper old school bike shop. Bought my V-Strom from them and only ever use them to get it serviced.
M0nkey 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

With your budget you have loads of options.

Just to mix it up a bit for you have you considered getting a cheap workhorse for the commute and a real bike for leisure? If you plan to ride your bike day and daily through the autumn/winter it will wear horribly with salt and water and road grime. If your commuting bike is also your leisure bike this will break your heart. A lot of my mates have invested in cheap work bikes for commuting to protect the main bike from the elements. With your budget you have loads of options for a commuter, ranging from a CG125 to a CB500 to a NTV650, or a Bandit 600 or maybe even a CX500 [honda centric list - I know!]. You could get a decent one of any of those which should give you almost infinite trouble free miles for less than £1k. That leaves you £3k to get a nice bike to polish and enjoy - the options there are only limited by your tastes because you can get a hell of a lot of bike nowadays for £3k.
 mwr72 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

How about this...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152635640667506&set=a.1015196...

This shop has a lot of pristine condition bikes at reasonable prices.
OP Jerry67 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Horse:

Thanks for the offer, but I need to sell my car and then move back down to Guildford before getting one. If it's still around in August/September, who knows!
Cheers,
Jeremy
OP Jerry67 05 Mar 2014
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Thanks for this. I saw the Normandy place on the web and thought it looked suitably old school. I'll pop in some time.
Cheers,
Jeremy
OP Jerry67 05 Mar 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

Although this all sounds perfectly reasonable and sensible to me and clearly to you, I'm not quite sure my wife will see it in the same way!
Cheers,
Jeremy
M0nkey 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Jerry67:

I know what you mean. When I bought my second bike my wife asked me when I'd be selling the first because she wanted a new kitchen or something. I was appalled and pointed out to her that when our second child was born we didn't even discuss selling the first one. She sort of gave up after that and now, after the fourth one appeared in the garage she has accepted that I am a lost cause.
 tintinandpip 05 Mar 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

The garage is defiantely the best place for the fourth child !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...