UKC

Safety rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skol 02 Mar 2014
Hi. I'm in the market for a short safety rope.
In go outdoors, they had a 30m 8mm at £40. Below this was some 7mm cord on a spool, at £1/m. Is this adequate for use as a safety rope for general walking and scrambling, and in a worst case scenario , lowering and abseiling? Also is 20m sufficient? It's more for the kids and father in law on rocky steps, at grade 1.
Thanks in advance . Skol
In reply to Skol:

I wouldn't go any thinner than 8mm - it becomes very hard to hold when wet and is like cheesewire in the hands and around the waist.
 Rob Exile Ward 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Skol:

Not sure what answer you want. I would be happier with a safety rope of 8mm - which I reckon I could use with a classic round the waist belay - than a 7mm - which is getting a bit thin to grasp. And 30m obviously buys you a bit more margin abseiling down bad steps. I know which I would go for, but then again I would usually use old 9mm rope for that purpose.
OP Skol 02 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Thanks high climber and Rob. I hadn't considered the girth of the cord as being an obstacle. 8mm it is
In reply to Skol:

aye and it's only a tenner more.
OP Skol 02 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> aye and it's only a tenner more.

Yeah. I'd thought I'd spotted a bargain
 elsewhere 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Skol:
You just mention lowering & abseil but walking & confidence ropes are dynamic rather than static cord.
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rock-Climbing-Equipment/Ropes/Walking...
Lowering on a single 7mm or 8mm - check it's not too slippy/skinny for control.
OP Skol 02 Mar 2014
In reply to elsewhere:
Ta for that. I will probably purchase from Needlesports as I'm there for a week next week.
Glad I asked. Is the cord I saw in go outdoors likely to be static then?
That could have been a poor purchase!
 elsewhere 02 Mar 2014
In reply to Skol:
Cord on reel is almost certainly static.
In reply to elsewhere:

It doesn't really matter for confidence roping whether its static or not. Dynamic rope is certainly preferred but not essential.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...