UKC

scottish winter climbing summed up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 03 Mar 2014
£$%&*£$ frustrated!
 Andy Moles 03 Mar 2014
In reply to French Erick:

Please elaborate on how bad it was.

I went bouldering yesterday instead, which has obviously left me feeling malnourished and morally tainted. Shine a light.
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Please elaborate on how bad it was.

> I went bouldering yesterday instead, which has obviously left me feeling malnourished and morally tainted.

Shame on you.

Robert Durran 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Andy Moles:

> I went bouldering yesterday instead.

Thanks. Now I feel better about myself - I went for a walk.
 James Edwards 03 Mar 2014

Well, i had a nice time on Sunday.
James e
In reply to James Edwards:

> Well, i had a nice time on Sunday.

With Erick?

I've done more this year than last
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes! We did a possible new line, after failing on our main objective, but the line we did was only about iv,6 not VII / VIII!
Frustrating i know I might all have been different if we both had blue waterproofs on, then obviously the freezing level would have come down to the 600m as advertised, not the 1000m it was! Oh well...
james
 d_b 03 Mar 2014

When I was up there not getting into the hills a week or so back we ended up doing some very wet rock climbs, and soloing at Ardnamurchan point. Disappointing, but better than nowt.
 pamph 03 Mar 2014

I was rock climbing at Logie Head three weeks ago, that sums up my winter so far! It was blinking cold, mind.

Ahhh... does this have anything to do with the ascent on Saturday of Unicorn?
James
 martinph78 03 Mar 2014

>

> Thanks. Now I feel better about myself - I went for a walk.

We were due to be in Scotland winter climbing this weekend but it got cancelled due to conditions, so I went mountain biking for the first time in 10 months. I now feel like I've got a saddle stuck up my arse!

In reply to Martin1978:

> I went mountain biking for the first time in 10 months.

Mountain biking or bouldering. Which is more shameful? Tricky one....
 martinph78 03 Mar 2014

Mountain biking is like taking a nice long walk, with a few bits of adrenalin thrown in for good measure.

Plus lycra is sexier than a beenie :p
 planetmarshall 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Martin1978:

> We were due to be in Scotland winter climbing this weekend but it got cancelled due to conditions.

Scottish Winter Climbing got cancelled? No one told me, or any of the others who filled the Coire Dubh Mor car park on Saturday morning.

OP French Erick 03 Mar 2014
hit the nail on the head! I had a good day too James. It's the whole season being summed up.

What did you say blue trousers impact on the waether... I am getting a pair!!
Post edited at 11:10
 martinph78 03 Mar 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

How to re-word a sentence!

OUR trip got cancelled, so no, we didn't tell you or any of the others filling the carpark on Saturday morning. If you want to send me your contact details though I'll be sure to let you know when we make or change any of our other plans
 Lone Rider 03 Mar 2014

Well I went mountain biking into Beinn Dearg and decided better to avoid large cornices so went hill walking up neighbouring munro instead and had a good time.

I would suggest that it depends on how the mountain biking is used.

I would also suggest to Martin1978 that he gets it removed pronto as crap is not good for the leather.
 Lone Rider 03 Mar 2014

Dear Mr Weatherlore

Seriously thinking about a pair of Lime green trousers, can you tell what the weather is likely to be if I wear then for winter climbing?

Thanks in anticipation
In reply to Lone Rider:

> Well I went mountain biking into Beinn Dearg and decided better to avoid large cornices so went hill walking.

You can sleep easy. Mountain biking to reach a climb is obviously the only acceptably unshameful use of the horrible oily contraption.

Hill walking is a branch of mountainering and is therefore completely acceptable.
 Michael Gordon 03 Mar 2014

> £$%&*£$ frustrated!

yep that's this season summed up all right!
 Lamb 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> yep that's this season summed up all right!

I'd third that.
 DaveHK 03 Mar 2014
> (In reply to James Edwards) hit the nail on the head! I had a good day too James. It's the whole season being summed up.

It's too late to backtrack Erick. You've clearly offended the man.
 barbeg 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

.......+1.....

ANdy

Perhaps you're hanging out with the wrong croud : ) just a thought!

Stuart
 Heike 03 Mar 2014
Let me get this right, you are frustrated because you managed to get a new route in? Ok, it might not have been top of the grade, but hey... At least it's something! Winters come and go! and spare a thought for us who live in the Central belt and only managed very few successful days out....grrr

OP French Erick 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

success rate this year 20%! Nothing to do with beinn eighe itself.
 rogerwebb 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Stuart the postie:

> Perhaps you're hanging out with the wrong croud : ) just a thought!

> Stuart

I think you're right!
 Heike 03 Mar 2014

Yeah, my success rating has not been too great either...but better than nowt!! Rubbish in comparison to usual!!! It"s a mental year!
 Mr. Lee 03 Mar 2014

Yep, I'll agreed as well. I bailed off a III at the weekend. I usually solo IIIs.
 Blackmud 04 Mar 2014
I just love being in the mountains so if conditions don't lend to a climb I'll happily go out anyway. Racked up 16 hours and 3000m ascent on the hill on sat/sun, twas brilliant though I didn't get to do either of the two routes I wanted to do.
 top cat 04 Mar 2014

But the ski touring is grand!
 Bilbo 04 Mar 2014

Might be worth considering ice climbing in Morocco. Sounds counter intuitive but it is an awesome destination if you fancy a bit of an adventure.

We're going back there in a couple of weeks. Check out this short video and the link to the blogs on our last trip http://www.kragrags.com
OP French Erick 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Bilbo:

I wouldn't want to. I love scottish winter climbing. Bit love/hate this year due to not being able to get on routes at the right time. Teachers have a lot of time off but it does not coincide with conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...