UKC

Scottish independence & whisky

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 03 Mar 2014
Seeing as the top 50 or so threads are about the bloody Scots and their independence vote i thought I'd ask the most important question of all.

Will an independent Scotland change the duty levies on whisky? At the moment Lagavulin is beyond my financial grasp and it's annoying.
Fidman 03 Mar 2014
In reply to pasbury:

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. If the Scots get independence the chancellor will be able to increase duty on Whiskey and not give a t**s about p***ing off the Scots
 Banned User 77 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Fidman:

> I think you have the wrong end of the stick. If the Scots get independence the chancellor will be able to increase duty on Whiskey and not give a t**s about p***ing off the Scots

Could he do that? That would piss of the (rest of) Brits too, but we'd just drink welsh, irish, canadian, American, Japanese.. but I doubt you could selectively tax a very specific product like that, especially from within the EU which both almost certainly will be.
 FactorXXX 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Fidman:

If the Scots get independence the chancellor will be able to increase duty on Whiskey and not give a t**s about p***ing off the Scots

Increasing duty on 'Whiskey' will have no effect on Scotland whatsoever.
 JLS 03 Mar 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:
>"Increasing duty on 'Whiskey' will have no effect on Scotland whatsoever."

Well it might increase whisky sales as the cross border smuggling trade takes off.
Post edited at 16:12
In reply to Fidman:

> I think you have the wrong end of the stick. If the Scots get independence the chancellor will be able to increase duty on Whiskey and not give a t**s about p***ing off the Scots

And watch the booze hypermarkets go up in Gretna and take *all* the duty.

Independent Scotland should probably have some carefully calibrated lower taxes on booze and tobacco. Just like the French do in Calais. Maybe even legalise cannabis.
 Trangia 03 Mar 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> If the Scots get independence the chancellor will be able to increase duty on Whiskey and not give a t**s about p***ing off the Scots

> Increasing duty on 'Whiskey' will have no effect on Scotland whatsoever.

It will if the English switch to Glen Okinawa or Gen Fujiyama Single Malts which are half the price and twice as good.....
Jim C 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Trangia:
> It will if the English switch to Glen Okinawa or Gen Fujiyama Single Malts which are half the price and twice as good.....

If the English currently buy Whisky that is twice the price and only half as good as alternatives , they must be mad to be buying the Whisky in the first place. ( either way they are mostly all going to be foreign owned)

I think they should change now, and not wait for further duty. ( assuming that is true of course)?
Post edited at 18:09
Blobb 03 Mar 2014
In reply to JLS:

> >"Increasing duty on 'Whiskey' will have no effect on Scotland whatsoever."

> Well it might increase whisky sales as the cross border smuggling trade takes off.

He was being a pedant. An 'e' was added to the word whisky rendering it undrinkable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...