UKC

more on Charlie Porter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul mitchell 04 Mar 2014
A link to more info on the amazing big wall soloer Charlie Porter.
Liked to sail too...

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/charlie-porter-we-hardly-knew-you
 Mick Ward 04 Mar 2014
In reply to paul mitchell:

Paul, thanks for putting this on. It was terribly sad comparing the paucity of posts on here versus the ones on Supertopo. OK he was American but he transcended nationality.

40 years ago, I couldn't get my head round what he was doing. Today I still can't get my head round it. To endure so much fear and suffering on big walls, on mountains and on the ocean, to give it such unimaginable commitment again and again...

You feel proud just to have lived on the same planet as him.

Mick

Cheers for the link Paul.

Chris
 Derek Furze 05 Mar 2014

Really nice articles and a great reminder of the Yosemite atmosphere in the seventies and eighties. Hope you got out today!
 AlH 05 Mar 2014

Thanks for that. Met him on his boat near Punta Arenas 1999. So modest and easy going. That level of commitment again and again and again is pretty breathtaking.
 Goucho 07 Mar 2014

Remember reading an article in Mountain in the 70's about the first ascent of Mescalito with Steve Sutton & Hugh Burton - the term 'hard man' is often bandied about, but Porter really was the real deal.

Seems a sign of the times, that there is more media coverage of a new 2 move problem on some obscure 10' boulder, than the huge scale of this mans extraordinary achievements.
 Sean Kelly 11 Mar 2014
In reply to Goucho:

> Remember reading an article in Mountain in the 70's about the first ascent of Mescalito with Steve Sutton & Hugh Burton - the term 'hard man' is often bandied about, but Porter really was the real deal.

And the iconic photo of him with the wispy facial hair and silly cap, but a genuine hard man all the same. RIP Charlie.
 thedatastream 11 Mar 2014

What a chap!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...