UKC

Civic diesel sudden difficulty engaging gear any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 07 Mar 2014
HI

I have an 07 Civic diesel which I drove through a big puddle today, went through revving to avoid water ingestion.

Then I notived it was difficult/nearly impossible to select a gear which eased off slightly but not sure it has resolved. Before puddle it was fine, after not good.

Any mechanics out there have any bright ideas. My thought was water in the hydraulic fluid. Dealer not helpful. I plan to give it a run at lunch.

cheers
 crayefish 07 Mar 2014
In reply to kipper12:

That's a very curious one!

Unlikely to be water in the clutch fluid as sealed (apart from cap breather which is tiny).

Is the difficulty due to resistance of the gear stick? How is it with the engine off and clutch depressed?
 Yanis Nayu 07 Mar 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Have you broken your left wrist?
M0nkey 07 Mar 2014
In reply to kipper12:

I think your explanation is the most likely to cause those symptoms. The real question is how water got into the clutch fluid. Did you change gears whilst in the water? Perhaps the seal around the slave cylinder is a bit worn and,if depressed underwater, allowed some water past the seal?
 Neil Williams 07 Mar 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Unless it's a coincidence and the clutch itself has failed in some way so it's dragging.

Neil
OP kipper12 07 Mar 2014
In reply to crayefish:

I pressed the clutch peddle and moving the gear lever to select the required gear was very hard. Im not sure if I was imagining it, but it felt easier changing up as higher engin speed.
OP kipper12 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

It may well be, am going to give it a run at lunch, in about 45 mins to see
 Neil Williams 07 Mar 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Yeah, you'll find it easier to change if the revs are matched. You can change gear without using the clutch at all if you're careful, though it doesn't do the synchros (effectively mini-clutches that stop the gears grinding by matching the speed of both sides of the gearbox before the gears go in) any good.

Does the pedal feel different than usual? If not I'd think it's more likely to be the clutch itself.

Neil
OP kipper12 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

No peddle feels the same
 crayefish 07 Mar 2014
In reply to kipper12:

> I pressed the clutch peddle and moving the gear lever to select the required gear was very hard. Im not sure if I was imagining it, but it felt easier changing up as higher engin speed.

Sounds like a syncro problem! But that wouldn't be at all affected by a puddle (unless your gearbox had a whopping hole in it).

I'd first check your gearbox oil level.

The other possibility (assuming this is due to water) is that mud ingress into the gear change cables have caused them to seize up a bit.

By any chance is it easy to change into reverse still?
OP kipper12 07 Mar 2014
In reply to kipper12:

Update - I have just taken it for a 20 min run and it was changing up and down as usual. Confused but will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...