UKC

Twin peaks... yes or no?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 07 Mar 2014
Considering Investing 15 Squid and buying the complete Twin peaks DVD set sometime this weekend, for my viewing pleasure.

Is it really as good, quirky, leftfield, and engrossing as i Remember?

Or, was it not as good as i Remember, and probably hasnt Travelled well?
 crayefish 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Is it really as good, quirky,

I prefer twin peaks to be more perky than quirky
 Blue Straggler 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

Season 1 is unbeatable.

There is no denying that some large chunks of season 2 are poor e.g. James Hurley's motorbike odyssey which is a redundant storyline that goes nowhere, and some of the Windom Earle stuff, and the old mayor getting married and the beauty pageant, are all just plain silly, but THE FINAL EPISODE remains one of the scariest things ever.

And really with a cast like that, who could REALLY complain about the Twin Peaks beauty pageant
OP Choss 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yeah, ive seen it for 15 notes, and im sorely tempted. Theres a nagging Concern that if i get it and rewatch it, it wont Live up to my memory of it. A sort of you cant go Back Anxiety. Either it or me wont mesh so much anymore.

Its one of only 3 American tv Series i really bought in to. The Others being northern exposure, and due south. would Love to see Twin peaks again Though.
 Duncan Bourne 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

Watch it with a cherry pie and damn fine coffee
 Kermi 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

I bought both sets and loved it. I think I managed 5 episodes in one sitting at one point!! Hmmm, is it time to watch it again?

"Watch it with some cherry pie and damn fine cup of Joe"
 Skyfall 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> Watch it with a cherry pie and damn fine coffee

Memories - we used to have cherry pie "parties" ie. watching sessions, with friends at the time.
In reply to Choss:

Watched it for the first time a year or so ago. It's amazing.
 Tom Valentine 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

I think you are right about it not travelling well.Got the first series and have lost interest after the first two or three episodes, so 2 of the three discs are mint.

Yours for the postage if you want.
 Mikkel 07 Mar 2014

I better start watching it, got given the box set by a friend who won it and didn't want it
 Blue Straggler 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Yeah, ive seen it for 15 notes, and im sorely tempted. Theres a nagging Concern that if i get it and rewatch it, it wont Live up to my memory of it. A sort of you cant go Back Anxiety. Either it or me wont mesh so much anymore.

I understand your anxiety but really, just do it. You know where it's going to go weak so you are prepared for that. Frankly despite my earlier witterings, it stands up very well. Revel in the fact that there had really had been nothing like it before, it was more influential than it's ever given credit for(*) and that it's pretty much the best thing that ANYONE involved with it ever did. And I include some of the older cult legends in the cast, in this.

* feature film production values on a TV series, including very detailed production design rather than throwaway stuff, and a continuing main story arc as opposed to "make it up as we go along" episodic television.
 Dale Berry 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

Re-watched last summer after paying £40 for the box set. Still as damn fine as the cherry pie.
 Fraser 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

I remember being totally absorbed when I started watching it but latterly, it went a bit too weird and I stopped. £15 isn't too much to take a punt.

<spoiler alert> Did the butler do it? </alert>
 Thrudge 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Fraser:

> I remember being totally absorbed when I started watching it but latterly, it went a bit too weird and I stopped. £15 isn't too much to take a punt.

If you think it got too weird before you'd got the the end, then you ain't seen nothing yet.

When you see me again, it won't be me.

Blue Straggler 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

> When you see me again

That 25 year anniversary is almost upon us...

Rich W Parker 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

I never watched it, should I?
 Bobling 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

I was too young for it first time round but watched both series a few years back (mostly in the back of our camper in OZ - god knows what the neighbours thought!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It does stand the test of time!
In reply to Bobling:

> It does stand the test of time!

I think it helps that aside from a few hairstyles and trousers, it is almost timeless. There are no computers or massive phones to date it, and the "out of the way" isolated setting helps too. When I watched it a few years ago I found it remarkable that I wasn't thinking "oh this is SO early 90s". It could have been the late 60s, almost. Or today! (ok, smartphones might have nullified some plot points, but still...). I am talking about it relative to other shows of the period.

Duncan Bourne 08 Mar 2014

I think it is a classic and probably David Lynch's best work. In many ways the slightly dated feel of somehow adds rather than subtracts from it. The use of weird imagery and music to set the tone in a non-standard way (non-standard for anyone other than David Lynch that is) was quite ground breaking at the time and in my view has not been bested
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> probably David Lynch's best work.

As I said last night "it's pretty much the best thing that ANYONE involved with it ever did"

The music is some of the only "jazz" that I like. And I REALLY like it.
OP Choss 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

> I never watched it, should I?

Yes, definitely.

I got first season yesterday, and watched the pilot and first 3 Episodes in a row last night.

Has stood the test of Time, still feels Fresh and quirky enough. very character Driven, Takes both Funny and dark Twists, and everyone is Interesting and carrying Secrets.

Looking forward to watching some more tonight. May even get a cherry pie in.
Rosco P Coltrane 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:

Silent Drapes
 Blue Straggler 10 Mar 2014
In reply to Rosco P Coltrane:

Drape RUNNERS. Stop getting Nadine Hurley wrong! :-P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...