UKC

'Allo Allo!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 07 Mar 2014
This is being re-run on BBC2 at the moment, just watched the latest episode and it's still brilliant, funny, slapstick and subtle humour with great characters and actors all in one package.
 Dauphin 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Surely troll of the year. Chapeau!

D
 LastBoyScout 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
"You stupid woman..."

Saw this live in London years ago - brilliant. My parents were going with my aunt and uncle, but Mum was ill and I went instead - still remember the opening lines:

"Zis is Herr Flick of the Gestapo. Ze taking of photographs is strictly verboten - anyvun caught doing so vill be taken outside unt shot"

Oh, and Helga in Swasticka underwear...
Post edited at 17:25
 The New NickB 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Subtle!?!
 DaveHK 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Is there an 'ironic post' emoticon?
 Chris the Tall 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

What gets me annoyed is that crap like this gets repeated all the time, but the decent stuff doesn't

I suspect most people have forgotten that Allo Allo started off as a parody of "Secret Army", one of those great and very moving Sunday night dramas - much better than Lark Rise to the Midwife !
OP Al Evans 07 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

> Subtle!?!

Well maybe you don't get them, but there are undertones of sublety amongst the obvious.
To Chris the Tall, how can you possibly not 'get' this. It's to comedy what John Otway and Wild Willy Barret are to rock music.
 Mikkel 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> What gets me annoyed is that crap like this gets repeated all the time, but the decent stuff doesn't

You sound like Al now

JamButty 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I certainly got Vicky Michelle and that other bird.

Oh and the French Policeman was class.

But overall it got a bit tedious.
OP Al Evans 07 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> But overall it got a bit tedious.

I guess it just looks a bit refreshed after all these years
Tim Chappell 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

It had its moments. It was OK. Apart from being fundamentally offensive.

I would say it was the last gasp of the long-lived British idea that all foreigners are essentially comic, but that would be to leave out various Enfield and Baron-Cohen routines.
 Choss 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Al, as much as i like you, and you Know i really do, im going to have to disagree with you on this...

allo allo was jaw Droppingly shite.
 DaveHK 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Choss:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Al, as much as i like you, and you Know i really do, im going to have to disagree with you on this...
>
> allo allo was jaw Droppingly shite.

You have said it just like I was thinking it.
 Owen W-G 07 Mar 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

AA was a huge success in France and Germany, not sure how they translated the double entendre accent gags...good moaning!
 FactorXXX 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

I would say it was the last gasp of the long-lived British idea that all foreigners are essentially comic.

I thought it was quite accurate in its portrayal of the characteristics of various countries: -

The English: Incompetent. Inability to speak foreign languages.
The French: Philanderer's. Sexy young women. Ugly old crones.
The Italians: Strutting Peacocks. Cowardice.
The Germans: Crossdressers. Punctual. Into S&M. Have a 'sinister' disability.

Removed User 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> It had its moments. It was OK. Apart from being fundamentally offensive.

This.

> I would say it was the last gasp of the long-lived British idea that all foreigners are essentially comic, but that would be to leave out various Enfield and Baron-Cohen routines.

It was good for those who like laughing at the cowardly French from the security of this island, thanks to which no British citizens experienced occupation thankfully. Bernard Manning, of all people, loathed the show as he as thought it was an insult to the memory of Resistance fighters. I tend to agree, though it's unsurprising that many on this side of the channel don't really get that.
 Doug 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Owen W-G:

> AA was a huge success in France

Are you sure, I've lived in France for > 10 years & have nver seen it here, and my partner (French) says she's never heard of it.

Personally I thought it was mostly dreadful with the odd funny moment

FactorXXX 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Bernard Manning, of all people, loathed the show as he as thought it was an insult to the memory of Resistance fighters.

By that logic, wouldn't 'Dads Army' be an insult to the Home Guard?
 JamButty 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> What's not to like?

don't forget Maria............

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/21055/Allo-Allo-comedy-hit-...
Post edited at 20:54
 The New NickB 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

> Well maybe you don't get them, but there are undertones of sublety amongst the obvious.

Go on give an example, I suspect we just have different ideas of what constitutes subtle.
 frankbabs 07 Mar 2014
In reply tto00

I remember talking to my uncle in the early 80's when Allo Allo was first aired. He was a fighter pilot flying out of airfields in Northumberland and, being a Grammar School kid , he remembered that most of his posh wing men spoke exactly like the two hapless pilots in the programme!!!
additionally, the airfield was guarded by the Home Guard and not unlike Captain Manwaring et al.!!!
 Clarence 07 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

One thing that always makes me laugh in Allo Allo is the way Sam Kelly (who is Jewish) just manages to avoid saying "heil hitler".
 knthrak1982 07 Mar 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> But overall it got a bit tedious.

Yeah, if you've seen the first series, you've seen them all. Dead horses getting flogged for several years after.
In reply to Al Evans:

I remember watching it as a teenager and thinking it was hilarious. I guess if you think too hard about political correctness you might not find it so funny.
 Blue Straggler 08 Mar 2014
In reply to knthrak1982:

> Yeah, if you've seen the first series, you've seen them all. Dead horses getting flogged for several years after.

Not quite. The first TWO series work well, I watched them recently. The story actually ends at the end of the second series, as we see the two British airmen escape in a balloon (although there is still the issue of Rene having been fake-executed and having to play his own twin brother whilst Edith plays the widow and heiress to the café)

There is also a great and sadly underdeveloped gag, really just a single line, which suggests that the blonde Nazi Helga is in fact Jewish. Look out for it.
In reply to Clarence:

> One thing that always makes me laugh in Allo Allo is the way Sam Kelly (who is Jewish) just manages to avoid saying "heil hitler".

Yes!
 FactorXXX 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

There is also a great and sadly underdeveloped gag, really just a single line, which suggests that the blonde Nazi Helga is in fact Jewish. Look out for it.

I missed that.
Does that mean, that I'll have to watch a whole load of Allo Allo's featuring Helga, with the inevitably of her stripping down to basque and stockings?
In reply to FactorXXX:

It is somewhere in the first two series. When Kim Hartman was in her pert prime. Handy, that.

Maybe somewhere between S3 and S9 there is more "she might be Jewish" stuff but frankly I couldn't face the diminishing returns. Seriously it works well as a complete story (with aforementioned loose ends!) in the the first two series.
 FactorXXX 08 Mar 2014

Thanks, might have to do some nifty fast forwarding and pausing...
OP Al Evans 08 Mar 2014

I respect your views on most thing film and television, the episode I watched was from the first two series.
In reply to FactorXXX:

They are discussing the London tailors who are using the German officers' stolen uniforms in order to make copies to help the airmen escape. The tailors' names are announced as Solomon and Klein.

Helga declares "Oy vey!......er....whatever THAT might mean". Good comic timing from all involved (it's all about the pause and the blushing). That single exclamation, explains a lot about her subservience to Herr Flick, which I always thought had to go a bit beyond mere ambition. She's a Jew, hiding out in the last place anyone would expect. Well that's a theory anyway (and it did used to happen....e.g. wasn't Paul Verhoeven's Dutch resistance film Black Book based upon a combination of real stories?)
 Mikkel 08 Mar 2014

I remember loving it as a kid, but was not keen on the later series.
And as i remember it, didn't Helga fancy herr Flick?
 Andy Long 08 Mar 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I used to cringe at it on the telly. Then I met a Dutch lad in the Alps who said it was incredibly popular there despite the war having been no joking matter. It seems that different countries put their own slant on it during the dubbing - in France they all have outrageous provincial accents.
I got to appreciate it when I played Rene in the stage version some years ago.
In reply to Mikkel:

> didn't Helga fancy herr Flick?

It's hard to tell, in the first two series. She mostly seems to be whoring herself - any affection she displays seem to be acting-within-acting, in a desperate attempt to impress.

I know I am taking Allo Allo far too seriously. Don't fret, I have a stupid kung fu film to watch later

Philip 09 Mar 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> What gets me annoyed is that crap like this gets repeated all the time, but the decent stuff doesn't

> I suspect most people have forgotten that Allo Allo started off as a parody of "Secret Army", one of those great and very moving Sunday night dramas - much better than Lark Rise to the Midwife !

It's just dawned on me, Lark Rise to Candleford was effectively Postman Pat for adults. Same central theme, same ridiculous characters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...