UKC

The zone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RockAngel 08 Mar 2014
I'm really getting strong enough to run for longer now (without wanting to collapse or be sick), but I'm struggling to get past the 5 minute mark most times and end up walking for a minute. If I can get past the 5 minutes non stop jog, I can just carry on and on... So how do I get into the zone to not notice time and just keep running? Always have music plugged into my ears. (Feel a bit restricted as I'm sticking to the gym at the mo. Don't want to go out in the dark on my own as a woman was sexually attacked the other week late at night).
 Run_Ross_Run 08 Mar 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

If the TVs on in the gym watch that. One thing I did when I started out was count my paces. For me it took my mind of the pain long enough.

You'll always experience pain even when you've been running for years. Accept it and get used to it.

Try to get out with others/Contact a local club so safety shouldn't be a prob.
 yorkshireman 09 Mar 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Just keep running and it will come. I've been running a few years now and found in the early stages that it took a good 10 minutes to really feel like I was in the groove. The problem with treadmills is that 5 minutes seems like 15.

Are you running too fast to start with? Try taking it easier and concentrate on getting distance/time no matter how slow, then try to improve the speed when you feel like you can pretty much run (slowly) for ages
 PPP 09 Mar 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Try not to look at the display as much as possible. As soon as I forgot about my mileage and time, running became smoother and easier.
 Yanis Nayu 09 Mar 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

To be honest, the first 5 minutes can be the worse, no matter how fit you are. It takes me at least that long to warm up - until then my calves in particular feel really tight and sore.

Have you tried consciously trying to relax?
SethChili 09 Mar 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Even after a good warm up pre run it takes me ages to really start to flow .
For the first 10 minutes it is a struggle - I've got the fitness and the motivation but my legs feel like cast iron and there is no flexibility in my style .
I generally grit my teeth and get on with it - however much I'd rather stop for a breather . Then at towards the end of my run I really feel brilliant.
Music can help at times but finding a tune to match your pace is important - slow jazz aint gonna help much if you want to go off like a rocket .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...