UKC

Babysitting rates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 14 Mar 2014
Hello,
Anone got any ideas about that? Got our neighbours girsl 13 nd 15 lined up to do babysitting for a few hours on a Friday night for my birthday (max 3 hours). What is the going rate, and also it's two of them. Any ideas?
Thanks
Heike
 Richard Wilson 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

You could use the minimum wage for 16 to 17 year olds as a starting point.
OP Heike 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Richard Wilson: thanks. Which is...? Also, i only wanted one but they wanted to come as a team which is fine but is it required to pay twice minimum wage? this would mean 35 pounds for the 2.5 hours. Child will be most likely to be sleeping. Hmm i might change my mind and get a meal delivered....

mc2006 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

Minimum wage for a 16yr old is £3.72. So I would say £10 each is fair for the three hours.

Enjoy your birthday wherever you end up eating
OP Heike 14 Mar 2014
In reply to mc2006:

Great, so a tenner each plus some nice snacks and drinks and what ever they want to watch should do it hopefully!
Cheers,
Heike
 Richard Wilson 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

As you only asked one to do it I would think about £10 for the first & £5 for the second. If they want to split it 50/50 thats up to them.

Or use this to see what the rates are in your area

https://uk.care.com/babysitting-rates
 Edradour 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Richard Wilson:

Jeez, I'd have been pissed at £10 for 3 hours back in the mid nineties.

Easy work and all that but I would say £20-25 between them would be about right. It's their decision to come as a pair. Probably £20 for one of them.
 CrushUnit 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

Funny how we value looking after your most precious asset in the world as worthy of minimum wage, not a criticism just interesting how we value renumeration for certain key jobs.

I would pay £30 for one, up to them if they split it with the other.
 BnB 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

It's been £5 an hour irrespective of how many babysitters for some time in my town (Yorkshire).
OP Heike 15 Mar 2014
In reply to CrushUnit:
Well, i certainly pay more for day childcare, but than these are trained educators, here i am asking a couple of girls to sit there and watch tv for s couple of hours and alert their mother next door if an issue should arise. So, it's not really childcare in my opinion, child will be asleep anyways unless something unforeseen happens.
Graeme G 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

If you're in the UK it sounds like you're possibly breaking the law. Leaving kids with anyone under 16 is well dodgy.

Baron Weasel 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Heike:

Tell them that it is a pleasure and they don't have to pay you a thing?
 tlm 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> If you're in the UK it sounds like you're possibly breaking the law. Leaving kids with anyone under 16 is well dodgy.

What if the person looking after them who is only 15 is actually their mum?
 tlm 15 Mar 2014

> If you're in the UK it sounds like you're possibly breaking the law. Leaving kids with anyone under 16 is well dodgy.

She wouldn't be breaking the law:

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/childrenandfamilies/childcare/default1.htm
Jim C 15 Mar 2014
Over 7 pounds an hour in my postcode.

My wife is an experienced childminder over 20 years , council registered, house has been modified, fully insured, and she has various qualifications .
She gets £4 per hour.
Jim C 15 Mar 2014
Also depends on the kids, if they are wee terrors , you need to be prepared to pay a bit more( or word will get out to others , and the same kids will not want to do it again,)
( also others will also be warned off if you have bad behaved kids AND crap pay )

If it is a one off, fair enough, pay what you think you can get away with, but as someone else mentioned, it is the parents kids, and legal responsibility,,not the underage minder.
Post edited at 13:43
Graeme G 15 Mar 2014
In reply to tlm:

> What if the person looking after them who is only 15 is actually their mum?

The hint is in title of the thread.
Graeme G 15 Mar 2014
In reply to tlm:

Ta. the paragraph on babysitting backs my concerns albeit not illegal.
 tlm 15 Mar 2014

> The hint is in title of the thread.

I wasn't talking about THIS particular case - I was talking in general... I sort of assumed you would be able to infer that from the general context of the conversation... my bad.
Graeme G 15 Mar 2014
In reply to tlm:

> I wasn't talking about THIS particular case - I was talking in general... I sort of assumed you would be able to infer that from the general context of the conversation... my bad.

It's ok. Please accept my apology......i was being facetious

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...