UKC

Stew

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 14 Mar 2014

You cant beat a good ol stew.

How do you prepare yours?

My receipe includes:

Garlic, Knor fancy stock cube, onions, tatties, parship, leek, carrot, Swede and beer (now theres a surprise) and salt.

Do you do yours any different to said receipe?
Post edited at 19:32
In reply to Blizzard:
Yams. Towards the end so that they don't disintegrate. And suet dumplings.
Post edited at 19:37
In reply to Blizzard:

chunky veg (carrots, parsnips and potatoes),
mushrooms
a tin of chopped tomatoes.
Cheap meat cut (chunky peices) browned with onions.
bang all in a casserole dish with a bottle of ale (any will do).
tbsp of brown sugar.
two bayleaves
two cloves of garlic crushed.
top up with water so it just below the contents.
whack in the oven for as many hours as it takes for the veg to soften.
stir regularly and add a handful of oats about an hour before you remove. Add bisto to thicken. serve with creamed mash. Boom.
 Tom Valentine 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Mine usually has bits of dead animal in it. Unless your Swede covered that
( I would tackle a mouthful of Saga if push came to shove)
OP Blizzard 14 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

A ha. Mine is Veggie option, and I do it in a large pot, not in the oven. Mine is very subtle in flavour.

In reply to Blizzard:

You could try mine without meat. I imagine it wouldn't be too much different.
OP Blizzard 14 Mar 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I've found the inclusion of a bay leaf drastically changes the whole experience. As strange as that sounds.
 JohnnyW 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

I'd have to ask Our Lass, but it's crackin', whatever's in it!
Lusk 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Simmered slowly on top of my Multi-fuel stove burner thingy for an evening, then reheated the following night. Lovely!
OP Blizzard 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Lusk:

I'm on a Stewathon tonight. Have a load of veg in fridge and am currently concocting stew number 2. Includes Porter, mushrooms, peas, Chana Masala a big variant on number one.

Will be eating Stew all weekend! The first one was subtle bliss, magnificent, I oughta have a TV show- unhairy cyclist ( bad joke)
 elsewhere 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:
Similar recipe but minus the beer and add sausages, dried chillies and a big lump of fresh ginger
 Tree 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Similar to yours, but with smoked oysters in too, and it has to have suet dumplings or herbed scone on it. Now I'm drooling and hungry.
 Skol 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

> A ha. Mine is Veggie option, and I do it in a large pot, not in the oven. Mine is very subtle in flavour.

Do you mean tasteless x
OP Blizzard 14 Mar 2014
In reply to Skol:

Far from tasteless my dear Skol, very far from it. It was magnificent
 tlm 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

We were given a lovely beef stew the other day and it was served with horseradish, which was a pretty amazing combination. I have no idea why I have never thought of doing this myself...
 Enty 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Daube de Boeuf is the local dish here - basically a normal beef stew but with plenty of red wine and local black olives giving it an intensely rich taste.

E
 Choss 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

A Friend often Brings his Pre Cooked allotment Stew camping. It basically is whatever things are in season at his allotment. Usually very Nice in fact.
 squirrel00 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

carrots ,spuds, garlic leek and potatoe soup,sausages , rashers and white pudding (its called coddle and not really found outside dublin unless your dub or you married one)
 Timmd 15 Mar 2014
In reply to squirrel00:

What's white pudding?
 Yanis Nayu 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

It's like black pudding but made from bull's semen.
 squirrel00 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Timmd:

everything you dont want to eat from a pig is in white pudding ie stomach ,intestines but it is very very tasty , better than pigs blood pudding (have to be pc about it now so my young fellas school told me)
 Skol 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:
> Far from tasteless my dear Skol, very far from it. It was magnificent

I'm glad. I can do a Greek Beefless Stew. It's good too.
I'll find the recipe now I'm home. Basically it's veg, shallots, quorn burgers and a bit of cinnamon
I'm 90/c vegi, but a bit like that great white shark from Finding Nemo
Post edited at 20:20
Jim C 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:
It is not always what you eat, but where.

The Last stew I had was Wayfarer stew in a bag , 'prepared' in a chemical heater bag.
( on the hill overlooking Muckle Flugga lighthouse inside a bothy shelter on Unst Shetland, when a squall had just come in from the sea, so wind and rain blowing it all over the place)

Tasted great .as most things do outdoors when you are really looking forward to it.

If I was served it up elsewhere , I might be a bit more critical.
Post edited at 20:36
 Mike-W-99 15 Mar 2014
In reply to squirrel00:

Sounds like Mealie pudding?
 Firestarter 15 Mar 2014
In reply to squirrel00:

White pudding rarely found outside Dublin, apart from Scotland in its entirety.
 sargy 15 Mar 2014
In reply to Blizzard:

Caramelised Five Spice Pork- something I had in Vietnam, and have found the recipe to be very authentic:

Pork belly with onions, garlic, palm sugar, five spice, star anise, fish sauce and soy sauce- simmered until sticky, salty and sweet. Top with chopped coriander, spring onions and cucumber and serve with rice.

Yum.
 squirrel00 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

very similar ,
 squirrel00 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

its now found in certain major supermarkets all over , works out handy not to have wait for supplies to arrive from dublin when you want a full fry up , only wish i could get proper batch loaf and joint of corned beef
In reply to squirrel00:
It's all about lobby with barley and dumplings. Nowt better than than the lobby my nan makes.
 tlm 16 Mar 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

> White pudding rarely found outside Dublin, apart from Scotland in its entirety.

and Northumberland, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland.
 Timmd 16 Mar 2014
In reply to squirrel00:

> everything you dont want to eat from a pig is in white pudding ie stomach ,intestines but it is very very tasty , better than pigs blood pudding (have to be pc about it now so my young fellas school told me)

You can't say black pudding? Interesting.
 The New NickB 16 Mar 2014
In reply to tlm:

> and Northumberland, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland.

And Bury.

http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=2
OP Blizzard 19 Mar 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I have a load more veg left in the fridge, I can feel yet another stew day coming on very soon (no beer added this time, I've drank it all!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...