UKC

Wind, Panic or What?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 15 Mar 2014
Last Saturday, at about lunch time, I started getting a chest pain every time I breathed in. The deeper the inhalation the worse it was. I really thought I was having a heart attack except there was no pain in my left arm. I drove home and sat down and it eased a little. I then went to lie on the bed which caused excruciating pain. Mrs. Sore rang "Out of hours" and they said to take me to hospital. While waiting to see the doc I went for a crap and it did ease a little. The doc checked me over and everything was ok. Blood pressure, Oxygen level etc. He did say that I had a rumbling tum. Anyway it did ease off a bit until I went to bed. It was so bad that I had to sit up in bed. I can only say that the pain was like something pressing down on my chest. However I was not sweating, vomitting or anything like that. I did eventually get off to sleep and have been ok since.

Anyone else heard of similar symptoms?

ps It was not funny so please no sarcasm.
 Firestarter 15 Mar 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

Why do you consider the left arm to be important, and when you laid down where was the excruciating pain? Sounds daft but these could be indicators to the cause of your issues.
 haworthjim 15 Mar 2014
Touch wood I haven't had it for a while but I used to have the same symptoms. I had a spontaneous collapsed lung in my early twenty and for years after had the attacks as you describe -it was apparently trapped wind/intergestion. They could last a couple of day and where frigging painful.
 markAut 15 Mar 2014

Usually medics seem quite keen on spotting heart attacks. I used to have lots of pain along my diaphragm. It was excruciating, and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. Turned out to be gallstones. The problem was that by the time I got to see the medic the attack had passes and all I had to show were slightly odd blood tests. I suffered for months until I drove to A&E mid attack and finally got diagnosed.

Keep an eye on it, better bothering the medics for something minor than prematurely ending up in a box.
Jim C 16 Mar 2014
In reply to markAut:

> Usually medics seem quite keen on spotting heart attacks. I used to have lots of pain along my diaphragm. It was excruciating, and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. Turned out to be gallstones. The problem was that by the time I got to see the medic the attack had passes and all I had to show were slightly odd blood tests. I suffered for months until I drove to A&E mid attack and finally got diagnosed.

> Keep an eye on it, better bothering the medics for something minor than prematurely ending up in a box.

Indeed, at the beginning of this week my friend at work asked me to drop him off at his fathers place the father was feeling unwell and the Doc was was coming! next day he said it was gallstones! and he was going into hospital . Next morning his wife turned up to say the father had died , an infection of the pancreas .

Get it checked.
 marsbar 16 Mar 2014

Trapped wind can be very painful.
OP FesteringSore 16 Mar 2014
In reply to marsbar:

> Trapped wind can be very painful.

Yes, I'm thinking that's what it was. Don't want it again.
 marsbar 16 Mar 2014

I find half a teaspoon of peppermint extract in a cup of warm water helps. Or gripe water from the baby aisle.
 Root1 16 Mar 2014

It Could be a spasm in an intercostal muscle (between ribs) due to a slight strain. I have had that on occasion and its easy to imagine a heart attack. However as u say you had no symptoms in your left arm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...